iPads = start of revolution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rebubula, Apr 18, 2011.

1. rebubula macrumors newbie

After marveling at this thing for the past week I figured out why I love this thing so much.. The PC at first were mostly built around 'producers of information'. We are now in an age where consuming and info sharing are just as much if not more important to the average PC user. The GUI of PC's just aren't tailor made to do. Not that they don't do it well, but the iPad and tablets do it better. They are designed from the ground up to function equally well in both areas.

I may be making assumptions here but take it for what it is.

2. nickbarbs macrumors regular

I will agree with you once Apple looses its stranglehold on the OS

-Let me load it with what I want, and use the 64 gb space I paid a premium for how i want (USB Plug and play storage)
    -Introduce a common file system where all apps can pull from
    -Allow me to copy music and movies without syncing from a PC

Until then this thing is nice but its far far far from a revolution

3. 100Years macrumors regular

+1

4. Jookbox macrumors 6502

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about. iPads are awesome, but my windows pc or MacBook pro does pretty much everything better. It's just convenient to have a little tablet to carry around.

5. ctsoxfan macrumors member

Tablet PC's are not exactly new. I love my iPad, it's a great little toy and travel companion - but its not even close to replacing my Windows 7 PC.

The iPad is like a great big version of my iPhone, but without the phone. And I'm okay with that, because that is what I expected when I bought it.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Lake Michican is just a great big version of my bathtub.

With tablets, the form factor is the whole thing. The need for tablets comes from the fact that we're all addicted to our multi-purpose smartphones, but they're not good for some things. I use my iPhone 4 as an e reader, but that will never happen again once I have my iPad 2. Despite the retina display being crystal clear, the phone itself is not comfortable to read on. I use my laptop to watch Netflix but on the train or an airplane where space is at a premium, pulling out a laptop to watch a TV show or movie is too much of a pain. And again, the iPhone works fine for movies too, but this is another thing I will use my iPad exclusively for just because the form factor lends itself so well to that use.

It's all personal preference, but I hate the "giant iPhone/iPod" description. The OS is the same. The practical use can be completely different depending on the apps you're using.

7. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

I think you are fighting the trend trying to hold on to the past paradigm. Device storage will become less important as cloud storage kicks in. Syncing to a PC will be replaced with syncing to the cloud. The common file system would be nice, but the solution is probably in software ability to import and export. The revolution is in the cloud not your desktop.

8. Skika macrumors 68030

None of these things you listed would make the iPad more revolutionizing. They are maybe convenient things you are used to, but nothing revolutionary here. I would go as far as saying most of the people wouldnt care about these things.

9. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Isn't a revolution suppose to be moving forward? What you mentioned would be taking a step backward. We need more innovative ideas for the improvements you request for.

10. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

You know, I find the whole throwing around of terms like "revolutionary" and "evolutionary". Often, things are call evolutionary as almost an insult that they didn't go far enough to be considered revolutionary. The reality is that products that change things enough to be considered revolutionary are always uncomfortable to people who are used to the old way of doing things. Also, those same products run substantial risk of dying because they've changed so much that people aren't comfortable adapting to their new approach.

To say that the iPad can't be considered revolutionary unless and until it allows you to do thing more like you're used to is oxymoronic. Tablets that aim to act more like desktop/laptop computers are aiming to be more evolutionary and less revolutionary. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.

It is important to maintain a tug-of-war between the evolutionary and the revolutionary, as this helps us to move beyond old paradigms while maintaining much of our skills and abilities that we acquired from previous incarnations of technology.

In this light, the iPad is, indeed, revolutionary. Whether it is too revolutionary to suit us, and needs to be pulled back a little toward the evolutionary, remains to be seen.

11. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You can title your post as <ANY random tablet> = start of revolution.

Playbook, WebOS tablet, Honeycomb tablets, they are all tablets, all designed to work in similar way. Apple started it, others are catching up. So, in a sense, you are not praising iPad, but an idea of a tablet.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, the idea of tablet computer existed long before the iPad -- Microsoft has been trying to push tablet computers for more than a decade. And even they weren't the first to have that idea. Now, tablets based on multi-touch interfaces are a more recent developmment, but we still need to give credit where credit is due, and give iPad the accolade of being the first multi-touch tablet to hit the consumer market. Which makes it a revolutionary device, while all other multi-touch tablets are more evolutionary, because they are following in the iPad's footsteps. Now, taken as a whole, they are all of course part of the multi-touch revolution, but the iPad and the iPhone led the way.

13. aluren macrumors 65816

To me it's more of an evolution in the way we receive information. A true revolution is something like the internet that completely changed the avenue of sending/receiving information. Things like that don't come along very often and hence being revolutionary. You could say multi-touch is revolutionary, but that happened with the iPhone in 2007.