Ipads weight has to be its battery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acorn, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I am speculating that most if not all the ipad weight is its battery. when you look at how the air is made and how small the motherboard can get. the ipad should be thinner. the air has specs of a higher heat cpu chip and faster graphics chip yet still wields a thinner case. but at the same time if you examine the air despite being more powerful its slightly larger case size is 99% battery related. I have high hopes of a lighter ipad just like everyone else but given the ipad is likely mostly battery weight like the air I dont see it getting very much lighter without a material change. maybe this is obvious and i didnt see it before?

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not quite "most":

* Aluminum back 138 grams
    * Battery 148 grams
    * LCD 153 grams
    * Glass (and frame) 193 grams
    * Speaker: 17 grams
    * Main board: 21 grams
    * Everything else: 27 grams

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Battery cannot be the most of weight but will always be the most of volume.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I always figured the glass and the display were the culprits and if poloponies figures are correct then that's in line with my thinking

6. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I would have thought logicaly and obviously the screen/glass would be the heaviest.

Besides all that.. its not even that heavy :S I dont understand why people think its heavy... seriously are we getting that unfit in todays world? Its a good weight makes it a solid feeling device.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Apple could possibly shave some weight off the aluminum back, and perhaps the glass could be thinner?

8. nmills macrumors regular

Hey, now! I'm a small person with tiny wrists and hands ;)
    I do agree, the weight does make it feel nice and solid. I love the weight of my phone (4). But I do wish it was a smidge lighter. It hurts my hands to hold the iPad with one hand.

9. JulianL macrumors 65816

I don't think it's so much to do with people's differing levels of fitness, I think that it's more to do with people's differing usage patterns for their iPads.

I just did an experiment with some 8kg dumbbells that I sometimes use and if this was the weight of my iPad then I could still use it with no problem ... for a few minutes ... and then I'd be in trouble. OK, maybe there are some really strong people out there (I'm not one of them), but for me at least the current iPad's weight isn't an issue when I'm only using it for half an hour or an hour but if I use it for 5 or 6 hours in a session, often held one-handed so there's a definite twisting action on one's wrist to keep it at the right angle, then I would really like it to be significantly lighter.

Yes, I can and sometimes do hold my iPad differently, but it's a shame that the weight sometimes forces me to hold it in some way other than the way I naturally and instinctively want to hold it.

- Julian