iPaperweight

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noplac2hyd, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Noplac2hyd macrumors member

So here is my problem..

Bought iPhone 3g on friday... worked fine till this morning..

Then the phone shut off and I cannot turn it back on... tried the whole restart by holding the home button and top button and nothing... brought it to Apple store they could not fix it.. since I bought it from ATT the apple store could not exchange it..(fair enough)

Go to ATT store and they first tell me its a mac problem... then tell me that they are sold out and cant do anything.. go to a second ATT store and .. sold out cant do anything Go to a third ATT store and same thing. (by the way this is in the Stamford/norwalk ct area)

so my question is.. has anyone else had this problem and is there some secret squrill way to try to reboot the phone?

Also this is a lesson learned to all not to buy the phone from ATT because if I bought the phone from apple then I would have had a new phone by now

anyway thanks in advance

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

im pretty sure that apple should be able to exchange it for you. i didnt think it mattered where u bought it

3. yoshe200 macrumors member

If you hold the power button and the home button for about 1 minute, you can take your iphone into restore mode. This way you can completely reset your iphone firmware. Hope it helps!

4. ALittleDrive macrumors regular

I bought mine from an ATT store. It had defective pixels, I returned it to the apple store, and they swapped it out for a new one with very few questions. The experience was better than I had imagined, it was really easy. I don't know what is going on with yours. Possibly because my issue was an out of the box problem and yours just happened a little later?? The apple store carries a few extra 3gs in case of customer service issues like mine. So, even though they were sold out to the public, they had a new one for me because of my defective first one.

5. Noplac2hyd thread starter macrumors member

6. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

7. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

It shouldn't matter if you got it at ATT or not.. it's an Apple product and it's covered under Apple's 1 year warranty. You can take it to an Apple Store.

8. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I'm very surprised apple didn't replace it. They replaced my 1st generation when the touchscreen crapped out and I bought mine at AT&T.

9. Noplac2hyd thread starter macrumors member

the iphone has a battery? j/k I was surprised as well that apple wouldnt replace it..

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It is Apple's responsibility to replace it. AT&T can't do a thing.

You have to make an appointment at the Genius Bar to get it fixed.

11. Noplac2hyd thread starter macrumors member

I was at the genius bar this morning with an appointment.... they where the ones who told me to go to ATT that they couldnt do anything

12. drpellypo macrumors 6502

Not sure what it is like in the US, but in the UK the manufacturers warranty does not kick in until after 30 days. Before than, you must return faulty goods to whoever you bought it from. Only after those 30 days does it refer to the manufacturer.

13. skierdb526 macrumors regular

14. pintnight macrumors 6502

Go back and try again.

15. Noplac2hyd thread starter macrumors member

ok so here is the finally on the situation

Called apple tech support.. and after about an hour and a half we could not get the phone restarted.... now the tech guy I spoke to said to return it to a apple store even though I bought it from an att store....

So I drive an hour to the next closest store that was not sold out.

I get to the genius bar and they start the whole replacing process. then he asks me if I bought it from apple or att... I said apple because I knew where it was heading.. now I know your thinking they can easily tell from the serial number where I bought it.. well I bought my wifes phone from the apple store so I used her box and the sim tray in my phone.

ok so they tell me that they can replace broken phones from att only with service phones, however not with stock phones. and at this point they do not have service phones yet.

so I told a white lie and in the end got the phone replaced.. and let me just say I did not want to have to lie about it.. but I could not go 5 to 7 days without a phone