iPartition Failed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DaddyoSpooky, Feb 21, 2010.

1. DaddyoSpooky macrumors newbie

I have Vista and Leopard on a Macbook Pro and want to change the size of the Vista partition. I bought iPartition, created a boot dvd disk, ran the application and the partition failed. I then bought DiskWarrior, ran the application, it found a few errors and corrected them. I ran iPartition again, same error.

I have a160GB hard drive, 32GB dedicated to Vista using bootcamp and want to increase the partition to 100GB. iPartition alows me to change the sizes of the partitions but after it analyzes the data I get the following error:

hfs_extent.c:676 (from 0x1000ad6c9)65) unable to locate extent for file 1597906 (resource fork? 0, start block 26652804, length 1, itterator error0, btree error 0)

I'm not a computer guy, anyone know what the heck i can do????

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know there are several methods being tossed about on how to change the Windows partition size, with varying degrees of success, however the tried and true method I have always used is this...

1. Use WinClone to clone your Windows partition (it is free)

2. Run Boot Camp Assistant to delete the current Windows partition

3. Run Boot Camp Assistant to create a new (larger) Windows partition

4. Restore your WinClone

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I created two Boot Camp partitions, and it combined them together.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How did you create the second partition? Not with Boot Camp Assistant, obviously.

How did you combine them? From Windows? Did you use a third party tool?

Can you spell out your process or just add it to the guide.

B

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Here is what I did, probably not 100% accurate as it was 1-2 years ago.

1. Created a 50 gig partition for Windows
    2. Went to install Windows, it failed
    3. Erased both HDD's because I thought I had to, pissed off my sister :p
    4. Created another 15 gig partition, it combined with my 50 gig
    5. Created a 66.6 gig partition, I lol'd

As I said, I can't remember everything as it was so long ago, but both partitions were created with boot camp assistant and it somehow combined them.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Improbable at best, since Boot Camp Assistant only supports two partition schemes. A single HFS+ partiton or a single HFS+ partition with a single Boot Camp partition (FAT32 or NTFS) and will take you back and forth between those two states.

You can create multiple FAT32/NTFS partitions with Disk Utility just fine, but just not BCA.

B

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I'm not lying, that's what happened. Don't believe me if you want, doesn't bother me.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I believe you did what you say, just not how you say you did it. You admit you are fuzzy on the details.

B

9. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

What I know for certain is that I created two partitions with the Boot Camp assistant, and they turned into one. I don't know how or why, but that's what I have now. But the first 50 gig partition I made was completely erased, so maybe that's why when I tried to make a 15 gig one, it just put it onto it. I dunno.