iPartition...or something else like it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Mar 31, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I have an external drive that I'd really prefer to not have to wipe clean to repartition it... therefore I need something like iPartition that will do live partition resizing/adding on the drive.

Wondering if anyone knows of anything other than ipartition that will do this...It's kinda pricey at 45 bucks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

With certain partitions, yes, with others it will not. This is what I have discovered.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've used GParted with non-OS X computers. Works well, but I'm not sure how you could use it on a Mac (VirtualBox maybe?)

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't think GParted supports HFS+. There is also Drive Genius ($99) and VolumeWorks ($59) so I think iPartition is your best option here.

If you have a backup drive, just clone it, then repartition, then do a reverse clone.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

GParted doesn't support growing HFS+, but supports shrinking and moving partitions (as shown in the table I linked to), so you could arrange the partitions so that Disk Utility could manage them.

The OP didn't say what format the drive was though - chances are it's still FAT32.

Edit: I was able to mount the gparted iso in a Parallels VM and access an external HFS+ formatted hard drive ... I didn't actually modify the partition, but I was able to move a slider that would have resized the partition if I'd gone through with it.