Ipartition to Create a Third Partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nopstnz8, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Nopstnz8 macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Hey guys I currently have two partitions on my MacBook Pro 13". They include the main OSX partition with Snow Leopard, and a Bootcamp partition with Win 7 x64 installed. I've used Ipartition to resize the partitions of both, but was wondering if I could safely use it to create a third partition of OSX an install Ubuntu 9.10? I don't want to use rEFIt to do this, so I just want to make sure before I use Ipartition that my hard drive doesn't get messed up. I've heard of people having multiple partitions in OSX, so I'm assuming they used something like this or disk utility to create more than two. I have Applecare for 3 more years, an if a problem arises, I don't want rEFIt to be the blame, or have to deal with warrenty problems even though I've heard it can't damage anything. Please let me know if this will work. Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would urge you to have a back up of everything before you start
    You can use Carbon Copy Cloner for your OSX and WinClone for your Bootcamp

3. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

I actually did all of this last night, using WinClone for bootcamp, and a combination of SuperDuper and Time Machine for OSX just to be safe. Thanks for the suggestion though. I just want to know now if I would have any bootloader issues after using Ipartition to make a third one without using rEFIt? From what I've read, it sounds like it should be fine without rEFIt, with the only problem being the Linux partition showing up as a Windows partiton. If someone could verify this, I'd appreciate it as this is the only thing really stopping me from proceeding. Thanks.

4. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

5. Nopstnz8 thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8