IPass w/iTouch or iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dikiem, Oct 12, 2007.

1. dikiem macrumors member

Anyone has an ipass account their work gives them. Do you know if it works on the itouch, if so how?

2. dikiem thread starter macrumors member

3. SpikeX macrumors member

4. dikiem thread starter macrumors member

huh? ipass uses wifi. Go to ipass.com

I have it and use it via my laptop at starbucks t-mobile hotspots all the time.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

Are you talking about the online account or the toll booth receiver?

6. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

He's talking about the iPass that usually coincides with a VPN client for connecting to a work/corporate network from outside of your facilities.

Nothing to do with the northern Illinois highway system :)

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ok, thanks. That just seemed really strange and made no sense to me before I learned about another form of 'Ipass."

8. dikiem thread starter macrumors member

Yes that... ;)

You could use the wifi access of it at most hotspot location, regardless of brand (t-mobile, boingo, etc.)

9. pleb macrumors newbie

So is there something similar to a Cisco VPN Client that I can use on the touch?

To use wireless at my uni I have to log in via the vpn client.

Below is what my uni says about connecting to the wireless network with pda's and stuff.

10. pleb macrumors newbie

http://blog.tomh.us/post/15448516
    Can someone confirm this? Will Cisco VPN work with this? I hear that apple doesn't support cisco even with macs.

11. javalang macrumors newbie

It looks like you are at QUT, I am at Griffith and have tried getting my hacked iPod Touch (iTouch) onto their network via VPN too.

What the techies told me is that we needed the VPN client on the itouch to support IPSEC, which it didn't. It looks like the QUT access requires a combination of L2TP and IPSEC, which the itouch lacks.

I am awaiting more info from people on the net to see if there is an IPSEC VPN client in the works or available to allow these connections, I feel that it could be done, just haven't found one yet.

You will find that you could probably download a mac version of your cisco vpn connection software (griffith provides this), I just wonder if there is a way for someone to modify the app to make it run on an itouch???

12. javalang macrumors newbie

13. MacInCA macrumors newbie

Ipass

I occasionally see an IPASS network, and as long as you can validate (look at the preferences with your IPASS account) your full path name, I have found I could successfully log in. Hope this helps, what I would really like is an IPASS piece of SW I could load onto the ITouch.

14. gsoo macrumors newbie

iPass on iTouch....???

Looks the this thread kinda took a turn into the Cisco VPN question which is great information as that would be the next question I had in mind. BUT back to the iPass on iTouch question. Has anyone gotten iPass to work on an iTouch ?

Thanks

Gerald

15. jlsniu macrumors newbie

Ipass on Iphone

"iPhone client: there is currently no support for the iPhone. It is on the vendor's development list, but there are no specific plans for this in the foreseeable future."

I'm guessing, they have to at least wait until the iPhone 2.0 software upgrade before we'll see anything that works on the iphone/Touch.

16. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Press release

In a 19 May 2008 press release, iPass announced:
    However, the remainder of the announcement was about Windows Mobile 6 support and iPass in general. So... it's probably coming. :)

17. ccoulson macrumors newbie

iPass access for iPhone

I have been successful at using iPass from my iPhone at several locations. From the WiFi Hotspot landing page, preference your username with "IPASS/" followed by your iPass username. For example: "IPASS/joe.blow@sap.amer"

This has worked for me at all iPass hotspots with the exception of T-Mobile (Starbucks, Airline lounges, etc.). But, T-Mobile doesn't allow iPass logins through their website - only through the iPass client.

I would much prefer an official iPass client for the iPhone as it would probably also include their WiFi sniffer (as well as access all iPass supported hotspots). Unfortunately, I am a corporate user and all support requests must go through my IT group, which does not support iPhones (or any Apple hardware).

As an FYI, iPass is a service that provides a single membership and access to a variety of WiFi HotSpot networks (T-Mobile, ATT, Boingo, Verizon, Orange, etc. as well as most hotel chains' networks like LodgeNet).

18. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Wow, never knew something like that could work. Do you know if it works through laptops? I've been having terrible luck getting iPass (via the Windows client) to work in O'Hare recently and would love to have another method to try. Also, does the WiFi hotspot page then pass along your iPass password to iPass? In my case, it's the same as my corporate password, and I'm not sure I want it being passed from service to service all that much.

19. quange macrumors newbie

Download the Devicescape application from the iTunes App store and add iPass to the list of networks.

20. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

if you looked at the date, u would no that devicescape wasnt out yet, and the app store was released about 2 hrs AFTER that post.

21. Ostersmasher macrumors newbie

Easy Wi-Fi app works

I downloaded the Easy Wi-Fi app from the app store, and added iPass as one of my networks. Do this BEFORE turning on wi-fi in settings (ignore the message telling you to do so). The trick is to find out your login username AND suffix for iPass. It is NOT necessarily your company email address preceded by the "ipass/". To find it, log into iPass on your PC and go to info>>, where your user name will be listed. When you have saved iPass as one of your networks, then you can turn on wi-fi and connect to the iPass related network (tmobile in my case.) Sure enough Easy Wi-Fi did the rest, logging me in with my iPass info. Thanks to the earlier post for the ipass/ info as that is really the key to this working. :)

22. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

illinois tollroad + iPhone =FTW... somebody get on that!:cool:

23. rusty1979uk macrumors newbie

When you say "Add iPass as one of my networks" do you mean in Easy Wifi because I can't see where you can add a network in Easy Wifi.

Can you help?

24. Ostersmasher macrumors newbie

Go to "My Wi-Fi" at the bottom of Easy Wi-Fi and then use the "+" button to search for iPass. Then enter your iPass log in and password.

25. mvttu macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if you get the same login credentials from the ipass mobile account as the standard account (i.e login username AND suffix for iPass). Im trying to be cheap here and get away with paying for the mobile account but still be able to use Easy Wi-Fi app to login and hit all the wifi spots.