iPen v S-Pen

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Melonville, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Melonville macrumors newbie

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Seems very probable that it can be used like a mouse. Would be nice to maneuver around a tablet without touching it.

3. Melonville thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, i love the S-Pen on the note phones, i get calls and can write down names/no's without carrying around a pen and paper, but to be able to write on paper without touching the phone and then saves to phone/ipad/macbook would be nice, especially in my office.
    Guess notes works like that now anyway.

4. swarley macrumors newbie

I don't care what company can get this to market quickly and successfully. I will buy it almost immediately. To have a digital and physical pen that can write on anything and even in mid air and save a digital copy, would be an incredibly handy tool for any student and professional.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Although I'm not a fan of primitive devices like the ipad I think this is great and will spur competition. Samsung and Microsoft seem like the only ones interested in the stylus market and if Apple gets into it, it can only boost it overall.

I can't say it won't be funny though to hear all the screaming about Apple once again copying someone else, ahh how the tables have turned.

6. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

No matter what Apple does, it will not beat the S-Pen. The Note 4 itself allows to take images of notes and transform the images into written form for edit. The
    S-Pen is 4 years advanced the what Apple would release. There have been 3rd party stylus's that have the features included in Apple's patent, so I see no competition. I do see LG G-Pen as a completion since it has directed features to the LG G4 instead of a simply stylus.

7. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

How many granted patents actually are used in real products?

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

No the screaming will be about how Apple have innovated again/done it right lol

Anyhow I agree it sounds like a cool concept and something that I'd definitely buy.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Roughly 1%.

10. mi7chy, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

11. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

The S-Pen is too good as it is. Apple needs to work on a dedicated slot for their Pen, improve multi tasking including more RAM for multi windows, and focus on productivity. If they can outdo Samsung's Note line, I might consider the iPhone 7 or 8 when I am ready for a new phone.

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's all well and good adding a pen but you need the product to take advantage of such a pen and Samsung certainly do just that.

Just like the note 4 takes advantage of the large screen with the multitasking features

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Maybe, but I think both Samsung and Microsoft have done it right and I highly doubt Apple will get it that right, but this is Apple and they excel at copying something and making it better.

The one big thing that is an automatic FAIL is if they don't let you silo the stylus like Samsung does. This was a big fail on Microsoft part and I hope Apple doesn't do this, although seeing how thin their iPads are I 99% guarantee Apple will not have a silo. From having stylus enabled tablets for the past 10 years or so IMO not having a silo is a huge mistake.

At the end of the day though you still have iOS, which may be too watered down for a pen to matter. Hopefully Apple can cajole full versions of stuff like PhotoShop, CAD, etc, things that people will be looking for to use a stylus with.

14. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Precisely.......They still need the software and functionality that the Note line already has. Samsung has had a big jump on them in the area and Apple would be playing catch up. Samsung has pioneered this technology in modern smartphones.
    Funny how most of the technology that SJ hated or spoke out against seems to be making its way into Apple's offerings.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You don't think Wacom and Wacom digitisers have been doing this for years ? Seriously do you have to turn every thread into a poorly thought out tirade.

16. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

not only thing for sure... Multitasking/windows, functionalites through SPen, better screen, external sdcard, can make real phonecalls/sms (phone models of Note serie). Only thing samsung needs to improve is the support for their high end devices.

and unfortunately it is just a patent not a real product. And other unfortunate thing is that when apple changed the air2 display technology, they didnt bother to mention about it to manufactures like wacom. And now wacom latest creative stylus wont work with air2 and it never will be.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Apple patents a lot of crap that never makes it to market

They have a patent for a touchscreen where the surface can physically change to provide tactile feedback. Another gamechanger that never made it to market

18. mi7chy, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Which Wacom device lets you write on paper off the electronic device or digitizer pad? If anything ultrasound pen might kill off the need for Wacom's digitizer pad or screen layer.