IPFW Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beezkneeze, Jun 16, 2009.

1. beezkneeze macrumors newbie

There is something very specific that I am wanting to achieve as far as slowing down internet for certain applications and stuff with IPFW, but I haven't the faintest clue how to do it.

I would really appreciate it if someone would help me out, if you are willing I'll get into further details about what I'm wanting to do exactly.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How do we know if we can even help you if you won't tell us what you're doing?

3. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, okay basically I am trying to slow down the incoming internet connection, while not slowing down the outgoing internet connection to an application.

Does that help some? Sorry for my vagueness before.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry Im a complete nub. But how do you know what port certain applications are under?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Let us know what app and we'll try to tell you. A browser for instance uses port 80, FTP uses 21, etc.

7. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

9. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Well now that I know the ports are 1119 and 3724 , what do I do know? I wasn't kidding when I said I was an idiot.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Editing the IPFW configuration is not for novices really as it could have some bad effects on your machine if misconfigured. I haven't even messed with it myself from the command line. The tutorials I pointed out are as specific as I can answer.

11. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Yarg. :(

Thanks for the help anyway man, I'll try and make sense of the tutorial. But do you know of anyone on the forums who has successfully messed with IFPW before?

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Download WaterRoof (a GUI for IPFW) and check out the "Bandwidth Manager" tab. It has what you're looking for.

13. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG thanks so much, downloading now. I'll tell you how it goes.

14. beezkneeze thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, how do I set it up once I'm at this point:
    [​IMG]

15. freiheit macrumors 6502a

A specific example needing IPFW help

I'm tagging onto this because I have a similar question about using IPFW which is not handled by WaterRoof (as far as I was able to tell after downloading it).

My specific issue is I want to limit total incoming bandwidth to, say, 90KB/s. I want to have multiple queues within that pipe -- one for HTTP traffic (ports 80 and 443), one for email traffic (ports 25 and 110), and one catch-all for anything else, but... here's the tricky part... I want to be able to have multiple HTTP connections going at once and having equal shares of the HTTP queue. If I only have one HTTP connection going, it should get the full allotment of its queue, but if I have 3 HTTP connections going, then each should get 1/3 of that queue.

I have read the ipfw manpage and several examples online but none address this scenario. I understand that I need to use "masks" on my queue setup, but have had no success in trying. It seems every time I make a change to test it out, even if I set the total bandwidth higher, my actual throughput drops.

I am running MacOS 10.6.