iPhoen 3G compatible auto power adapter with aux out

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iVoid, Jul 30, 2008.

1. iVoid macrumors 65816

So with my belkin auto kit not charging my 3g, what else is out there that meets these needs:

1) Charges the iPhone 3G
    2) Provides a aux-out line that I can hook up to my head unit's aux-in
    3) Doesn't complain about it being an unsupported accessory

Thanks

2. bab23 macrumors newbie

Kensington Liquid Aux may be something that your looking for. I have the version with the loose cable iphone dock connector while keeping my iphone on a car vent mount. My brother has the version that comes with the iphone cradle, whick is less cluttered, but your vehicle has to have the cigarette lighter in the spot you want the iphone in (didn't quite work out for me). I only get the unsupported message on the iphone about 1/10 times. And when it shows up I just click "No" and I'm on my way.

You can find this at the apple store online, and I've seen the non-cradle one in the apple retail store.

Hope that helps.

3. Meyvn macrumors 6502

By "aux out," are you looking specifically for line out? Because if you're not, you can just plug the cable into your headphone port and then just get any old iPhone car charger (I got Griffin's current model; works great).

4. iVoid thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I'd rather have the aux out via the dock connector. I'd rather not have to hook up a second cable if I don't have to.

5. pj rage macrumors 6502

The griffin autopilot does what you want - except that it does show the unsupported message. You just click "no" and it works just like you'd want though. Charges, can receive calls/email/SMS/etc and has a line out to your aux in. Sounds great and I love only having one connector that is more sturdy also. Just picked mine up at best buy last night. Lists in the store at $52.99, but they matched walmart's online price of $34.88. So far so good with it.

I did alot of research before I bought, and it seems like this is the best option at current. It came down to this one or the liquidaux for me, and the liquidaux's price and availability (none in local stores and I wanted it now) drove me away. But I'm sure it also works. The autopilot also has the track forward/back buttons and stuff but for my install, I don't see those / can't use them so I don't know if they work.

I had found this too: http://carljonard.com/2008/07/how-to-charge-your-iphone-3g-in-the-car/. It outlines the options available now that work for the 3g. I don't think any of them don't have the unsupported message, though.

6. iVoid thread starter macrumors 65816

7. starbot007 macrumors newbie

For these cigarette chargers that have an aux out, how does calling work?

Right now when I use the line-out jack on the phone with my car, I hear the other person through the car's speakers and still speak to the phone's mic.

I remember reading that with the belkin one, it doesn't send your conversations through the dock's line-out and requires you to pick up your handset to answer calls.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'd like to know this also...does the Griffin allow you to talk through the microphone of your iPhone while the person on the other end comes out of the car speakers?

9. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I've just ordered the Bluetooth version of the LiquidAUX. It specifically is set up for calling in the car that I'm after:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Li...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1218896396&sr=8-1

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is how well the other party will be able to hear me. The microphone on the kensington is on the cigarette adaptor...kind of far from my mouth in the car. However, I read a review that praised the call quality (both ways) saying all the other parties could hear them very clearly.

10. joseluis.17 macrumors regular

I'm planing to buy this one since it's really cheap, would you recommend it?