Iphon 4s gets EXTREMELY hot after usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GrannySmith123, Dec 15, 2011.

1. GrannySmith123 macrumors member

One day I was playing games on my iphone for about 30 minutes straight. I have an otterbox case for it so after a while it felt hot. I took the case off and DANG it was extremely hot. The steel covering for the iphone was hot and the back was even more hot. I powered off my iphone and after 10 minutes of sitting on carpet it got cooled. This happens all the time even after 10 minutes of usage it will get hot.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening feels like my phone is going to overheat. Does your iphone do this?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

My 4s does the same thing - I also have an otterbox case - when I am home I often take off the case. I have noticed several times the phone getting extremely hot, with light use.

3. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

My 4S does this too. I believe it is normal due to the processing of A5 chip in the phone. The phone has an internal heat sensor that will tell you if it has gotten too hot. It would show a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle and tell you to let the phone cool down. The phone will be totally unusable until temperature cools down.

[​IMG]

If you see this excessively, then there's a problem.

4. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Can anyone else confirm if the screenshot above and advice is correct? My phone (used without Otterbox or any other cover whatsoever) also overheats playing games. But have never seen the warning screen. Probably because when it gets too hot, I stop and power down to let it cool down. My phone also overheats when it's been charged sometimes. Do I have a problem?