Iphone 1.1.1 JailBreak Transferable To the Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Quickdood, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Quickdood macrumors regular

I hope this works for the touch too, I read the article but it doesn't specifically say anything about the touch. I know of two methods they were working on, one was using a Tiff exploit which would work for the iTouch too, and the other was using a bit of code put into 1.0.2 on the iphone and then upgrading to 1.1.1 and which would not work on the itouch.

Anyone know their method and specifically will it work with the touch?

2. dagored macrumors 65816

3. jepaz macrumors regular

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

5. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

So are you saying that the jailbreak they just made for iphone 1.1.1 is not compatible with the itouch, does it rely on having a previous version of the iphone firmware on it and then upgrading to 1.1.1?

6. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

Me too, I'm at work and I will not be able to concentrate until I know if it is compatible or not. I hope it was the Tiff method!

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I have hackint0sh bookmarked on my touch so I can check wherever i am...:p

8. dagored macrumors 65816

I said it does not work just yet. It won't load. The beach ball just keeps spinning. Apple changed the coding.

9. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know the method they used one the iphone, was it one of the two I mentioned?

10. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

11. dagored macrumors 65816

Remember, OS X is Unix. They have to break into the coding without screwing up the operating system. They are doing this without a, for a better word, Map. They are flying a little blind.

I personally think these guys are geniuses. I have done some coding in my time, but I would be a first grader compared to these guys. You have to have patience, a great deal of patience for this.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Even if this initial jailbreak method does not work for the Touch, I imagine that jailbreaking 1.1.1 iPhone will lead to more access to the OS, and an eventual 1.1.1 Touch jailbreak.

After that, who knows. The first couple of iPhone updates did not break, uh, jailbreak. But now that there's a SIM unlock method, maybe Apple will work faster to patch up these holes.

13. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

I agree. Looks like it will not be long! *EXCITED!*

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Lest just hope everyone here is smart enough to NOT update their iPods if an update is put out soon. :p

15. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing that bugs me about being stuck with v1.1.1 for a while would be if apple added flash & Java to safari as well as finally fixing that problem where music stops playing while one is browsing in safari

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

True...that bug can be pretty annoying sometimes. :(

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Well, considering that yesterday we had neither, being able to choose between the 2 is pretty good. ;)

(and who knows what will happen in the next update anyway, assuming the Touch is jailbroken soon.)

18. Quickdood thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am not complaining, I'm really happy about the current developments!

19. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Breaking news-

Looks like we are getting pretty close...

Breaking: iPod touch root read access achieved
    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/breaking-ipod-touch-root-read-access-achieved/

If you go to the link in the TUAW post, there are some more details-

20. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Theres an image on the hackint0sh forums of a 1.1.1 iphone with 3rd party apps on it...

21. matt52592 macrumors newbie

yea i just read about it...hopefully by the end of the week we ill have some apps on the IPT!!

22. Oliver G macrumors regular

What apps can we put on?

23. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im MOST excited for installer.app (link here). Other than that Im looking forward to a notes app and a gmail app.

24. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

I have to say I am more than happy with my Touch even without any third party apps.

However, the sheer fact that these guys are TRYING to hack the Touch means good things ahead for everyone. Either apple will give up fighting the hackers, in which case we get all the 3rd party apps we want (once things get hammered out) or alternatively, if apple plays hardball, they will have to include a lot of sugar to make the medicine go down (ie for us to agree and let Touch update and become hack-proof temporarily). As people have been saying, apple would have to give us stuff like flash, etc.

Either way I can't wait to see what else we can get our Touches to do.