iPhone 1.1.1 Software pretty old....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DSchwartz88, Sep 19, 2007.

1. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

Hey,

Just wanted to share my thoughts about 1.1.1. So 1.1.1 is "out" on uk handsets. I understand that it does not launch untill nov. 9th in the uk and germany but 1.1.1 was on a "production" iPhone. Now if this was the software they wanted to release to US customers it would have been out already. There is nothing holding apple back as of now to release 1.1.1. It just doesnt make sense to hold onto it because every is waiting so much for it, it will do nothing but excite people and drive sales. What if 1.1.1 was just created for the UK iphone show. Not that it could only be put on UK but they were never planning on releasing it to US customers. and they are coming up with 1.2.1 which will include ichat and video and MMS and all this other stuff. That would cause even more hype in the US and REALLY boost sales. Just think about it.

Thoughts?

Daniel

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

You're right that it's illogical for them to be holding it if it's ready, and that an even bigger release could be pending. But I don't see the problem with a 1.1.1 release followed promptly by a 1.2.0 release. They certainly have no problem releasing iTunes every few days...I'd appreciate some added functionality even if more is to come shortly.

3. diddy macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing. It's quite possible that 1.1.1 was just for demoing the iPhone on O2. That kind of thing happens a lot with hardware demos.

I hope you're right.

4. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I read on AI or TS the other day there were some last minute bugs that popped up that help up the 1.1.1 release. Also, keep in mind that 1.1.1 is not selling in Europe, so it really is not open for consumption as it would be in the United States.

PS: I'm hoping for Flash, iChat, and stability, among other things.

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well there's also the famed screenshot on Apple's website

[​IMG]

https://supportform.apple.com/200709/main?id=qp#findsn

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well theres only 11 more days that the update can come out. Then we can sue Jobs.

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

huh wha????:confused:

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Jobs: "Later this month"

Refer to Keynote.

9. infosprt macrumors regular

I don't know if you noticed from the version number pic but there is an updated Modem Firmware to release 4. The version on my iPhone is
    03.14.08_G .

Anybody have an idea as to the different Modem firmware?

10. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that was noted on the MacRumors news and has been discussed quite a bit:
    http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/14/iphone-firmware-1-1-1-soon/

11. lampcov macrumors member

I also agree that we might never see 1.1.1, but Overanalyzer made a comment about releasing 1.1.1 then promptly releasing 1.2.0 (or whatever), and it wouldn't be a big deal.

I agree that to 90% of the people on this forum, the savvy, interesting, capable users, this wouldn't be a big deal. But Apple is aware the people like my wife, her friends, and my technically inept CEO are also iPhone owners, and the too many updates too often will not be well received. I can already hear it....

"I have to do this restore thing AGAIN! I just did it", or "Why can't they get it right, what's WITH Apple".

We the faithful and tech savvy suffer the minor inconveniences that come with upgrades because we kind of enjoy the hassle and definitely enjoy getting new toys as often as we can, but to the lay person, it's an inconvenience of monumental magnitude and Apple is being very careful not to mess with the majority's perception of the device.

So in closing...DAMN YOU SIMPLETONS! It because of YOU we have to wait!'

Kidding of course....BRING IT ON APPLE!

12. sanford macrumors 65816

I still say it's the big lock-down holding it up. arn himself posted that he knew somebody who took in an unlocked, hacked iPhone to an Apple Store for warranty service -- no comment on the wisdom of that. Of course they refused to touch it -- understandable -- and they then blacklisted his IMEI, which if I understand correctly the IMEI blacklist is shared among most providers to block out stolen phones, etc., meaning he could have never used that phone with any carrier, at least in the States. As much as I hate the idea unlocking may be holding up revisions, I still think blacklisting for it is just too much. (Apparently he begged, probably sobbed, and they ended up letting him return the phone, pay the restocking fee, buy a new, functional, non-blacklisted phone.)

Anyway, this is all unfortunate as Apple did seem before unlocking to be taking a hands-off approach to native iPhone applications, saying they might break the programs with updates, but not intentionally. Apparently now all bets are off. There was however some discussion, although I don't know how official, that Apple was looking at third-party native programs with he idea of acquiring the good ones. Some guys/gals wrote a native program that triangulates off the nearest cell towers to position your iPhone and then transmits that data to Apple's official map widget, providing a good enough for casual use -- as opposed to some professional or scientific applications -- simulation of GPS, all without GPS hardware. Nothing novel about triangulating cell phone positions; police use it all the time to track bad guys. But to do it for the phones users themselves... I can't see any way they could have done that without a native program, and I hope Apple is still favorably looking at that one for acquisition.

13. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Thats precisely why they ARE holding onto it. They want to make sure the iTunes store works properly before flooding it with a million iPhone users.

14. sanford macrumors 65816

GT, as much as I've liked to rant like a madman about unlockers holding up the works, I've considered that, too, and that really does make a lot of sense. There is a much smaller pool of iPod touch owners using the WiFi Store, whereas when they release the update, it's going to drop potentially a million people -- not really, but potentially, and still a lot -- on that feature within 24 hours. They're losing revenue every minute they don't open the WiFi Store to iPhone customers, but nothing compared to the revenue they'd lose knocking the whole iTunes Store down for three days.

I think most of the frustration, unlock, hack, debates for and against, about revisions is the lack of a freaking *date* from Apple about something they've announced and we know is out there, even in an iPhone version. Not leaking info on upcoming products makes sense as you have to keep selling current models until the new models are ready. But an announced date for this update seems hardly unreasonable, as what you stand to lose from that is the two iPhone owners who will buy an iPod touch just to get early access to the WiFi Store, as with video-out coming, owning both is entirely redundant and the small group who will buy both will do it anyway, announced date or no announced date.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I agree, but maybe the reason is that they are more afraid of the backlash for missing the date then for not giving a date to begin with. Software companies miss dates all the time.

16. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I had a new thought.

Maybe 16GB iPhones are coming to the states on the 25th, and they didn't want to bother installing 1.0.2 on these phones, so on the 25th, they'll begin shipping the 16GB (with 1.1.1 on them) along with releasing the update.