Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks, I guess. But since I'm guilty of not knowing what "Akamai" is, I have no idea what you mean. The thing is, I *think* it's legitimate, and that I can wait a day or two until they've put up the real update, but I was wondering if someone could explicitly show that this is real rather than just restate what everybody thinks.

And what happened to the one rumored to become available Friday through iTunes?

Akamai is the company Apple uses to hosts it's files: firmware updates, downloads, quicktime movies, itunes songs. Their infrastructure is setup to handle the requirements of moving large files to many users. They provide a service to many companies on the web, Apple being one of them.

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas

im kinda confused,
if i did download 1.1.2 from that link does taht mean when it gets realeased on itunes it wl reupdate it adnt might be different,
does that also mean that the vesrsion i have right now is less secure adn easier to hack??

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
i'm not seeing the update on the firmware. i'm sticking w/ 1.1.1 on mine and wait to see if 1.1.2 ever gets offically released by apple vs a link on their servers. Seems like if they wanted to update the US iphones, they do a better job to release the firmware on itunes vs a remote akamai link.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
i'm not seeing the update on the firmware. i'm sticking w/ 1.1.1 on mine and wait to see if 1.1.2 ever gets offically released by apple vs a link on their servers. Seems like if they wanted to update the US iphones, they do a better job to release the firmware on itunes vs a remote akamai link.

1.1.2 isnt for US yet. That is why it doesnt show up in iTunes.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
For everything the iPhone doesn't do, there is a list of 10 things no other phone has ever done. I'm more than happy with mine as are many millions of other people buying them. Perfect, no.... but on the road to being the best handheld device ever....by a wide margin. That's my opinion, delivered respectfully and without a bunch of misdirected anger.

Nicely put. Thank you.

If you anyone has qualms about the iPhone, please do me and yourself a favour... Take your business elsewhere because nothing is perfect. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Peace.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Except the engine dies 4 out of 5 times when you reach a certain speed, and Porsche tells you they can't take responsibility because you tried to put your own gasoline in it. They then sell your neighbor the same model for $20,000 less and offer you a credit for free oil change with your next Porsche purchase. :p

Thats why you buy a Corvette Z06:D

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
The iPhone ringtone renaming method isn't working for me. I have iTunes 7.5 and 1.1.2 and have tried every combination of renaming and resizing I can think of. I also tried using Makeiphoneringtone still no luck I don't undersdand why this is working so easily for others but not for me.

Assman

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
enough with this 1.1.2 talk already, it's a european release. Anyways, got tired of Apple's $2 per ring policy, appsnapped my phone, installed iphoneringtonemaker and I'm happy. apple can now kiss my a$$ :)

Assman

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
decided to install appsnapp yesterday, could be more easier, just tunr off auto-lock in settings general for the installation process. Less than a minute I was able to modify iphone as i wish. Installed iphoneringtonemaker and it's unbelievebly easy to use, one time $15 fee and you got custom ringtones for life.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Same 15 dollar deal with iToner.

You don't have to appsnap first tho.
No muss no fuss

Thank you again Mr. Andrew Welch

Ya know, it's a small thing, but I really like the charge indicator fir the phone in iTunes. Don't have to wake up the phone to see if it's charged.

Thanks Apple, Thanks Europe for the weird laws that forced this openness.

Z

Divindude

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
The iPhone ringtone renaming method isn't working for me. I have iTunes 7.5 and 1.1.2 and have tried every combination of renaming and resizing I can think of. I also tried using Makeiphoneringtone still no luck I don't undersdand why this is working so easily for others but not for me.

It is easy the one trick you need to remember is to NOT have another song anywhere in your library with the same name. Your .m4r file name must be unique.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
So, I took a chance this AM and downloaded the 1.1.2 firmware via the Akamai link.

Option-clicked on the Update button in iTunes, pointed it to the .ipsw file, and it updated without a hitch.

I can also confirm that the ringtone methods described here work perfectly. I just made seven or eight ringtones from songs in my iTunes library by:

--Dragging the desired songs from iTunes to the Desktop.
--In GarageBand, trimmed the songs to the 15-20 seconds I wanted. Also used the Track Volume controls to fade out the song at the end.
--Used the Share >> Export Song to Disc command and saved the files as "Good Quality" AACs.
--Renamed each file to change the .m4a extension to .m4r.
--Dragged the files into the iTunes library. They automatically went into the Ringtones listing.
--Connected the iPhone, and all of my newly-created ringtones appear in the "Custom" section.

Not a bad process, similar to what I used to do with my Treo 700p to make my own ringtones.

And the 1.1.2 firmware is not just for European users. As other US users have pointed out on this thread, if you do a Restore in iTunes you get the 1.1.2 version.

Not sure why Apple is holding it back from the "Update" button in the US; probably trying to get through the European launch first. But the firmware is the same, and those of you hesitant about upgrading, all I can say is that it worked perfectly for me.

Hopefully, free custom ringtones are here to stay.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Not sure why Apple is holding it back from the "Update" button in the US;
My guess is the same as many on this board, Apple will release a better update soon that actually affects US users(other than the charging icon and TIFF fix) and they might feel it's too much to ask iPhone users to update Firmware twice in one month.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I can also confirm that the ringtone methods described here work perfectly. I just made seven or eight ringtones from songs in my iTunes library by:

--Dragging the desired songs from iTunes to the Desktop.
--In GarageBand, trimmed the songs to the 15-20 seconds I wanted. Also used the Track Volume controls to fade out the song at the end.
--Used the Share >> Export Song to Disc command and saved the files as "Good Quality" AACs.
--Renamed each file to change the .m4a extension to .m4r.
--Dragged the files into the iTunes library. They automatically went into the Ringtones listing.
--Connected the iPhone, and all of my newly-created ringtones appear in the "Custom" section.

Not a bad process, similar to what I used to do with my Treo 700p to make my own ringtones.

SO...I did this very same process and got the RT to appear in the iTunes RingTone library. However, I can not select it to sync to my iPhone in the Phone controls window.

Any ideas?

Craig

*EDIT* Nevermind...I figured it out. I had made it too long. :)

Yay for free ringtones!!!! :)

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
My guess is the same as many on this board, Apple will release a better update soon that actually affects US users(other than the charging icon and TIFF fix) and they might feel it's too much to ask iPhone users to update Firmware twice in one month.

Hmm. Well I can't speak for everyone. But the ability to "roll your own" ringtones HUGELY affects this US user.

If a US-revised 1.1.2, or 1.1.3 update breaks this ability, and removes homemade ringtones, I'll likely skip it. Hanging on to this downloaded 1.1.2 for now! :)

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Not upgrading...Apple you listening?

I'm a die-hard iPhone user, but I'm not upgrading anymore (including this piddlely release) unless I see real improvements in the iPhone usability department, and not left-over quasi-European features. Apple needs to step up already, been nearly 6 months since the initial release.

1) Sync my darn Outlook notes already. Treo used to.

2) Cut & Paste. Treo used to.

3) Games. Treo had these

4) SMS with everyline timestamped, and not wasting space with bubble pop-ups (so 12 year old-ish) Treo had this.

5) Video playlists where the videos keep playing by themselves one after another. Treo didn't have this, but my iPod30gVideo did.

6) LOUDER SPEAKERPHONE FOR US GEN-Xers THAT ARE NEARLY-DEAF ALREADY Treo had this.

7) Phone Recents improved with breakout of Missed, Made, Taken calls and timestamps on each one.

I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, just want some basic improvements made to push my experience over the top.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I just checked for updates and 1.1.2 is now available in iTunes. Downloading now...

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I just checked for updates and 1.1.2 is now available in iTunes. Downloading now...

It also showed up on mine as well just now.

Hey can anyone confirm- I'm at work and won't be at home (where all my music and movies sync from) until the next day or so... if I update will it wipe everything? It would suck to be without music for 2 days

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
It also showed up on mine as well just now.

Hey can anyone confirm- I'm at work and won't be at home (where all my music and movies sync from) until the next day or so... if I update will it wipe everything? It would suck to be without music for 2 days

yeh it would all be erased
wait till u get home
the update isnt that special anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.