Iphone 1.1.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4nr-, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

My girlfriend is in the States right now and she's supposed to buy me an Iphone. Now t3 reports that iphone with firmware 1.1.2 is hitting the shelves along with the launch in the UK and that it once again stops 3rd party applications from running and thus not allowing an unlock. My question is whether there is any way my girlfriend can check if the iphone has got 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 before she picks it off the shelves and if you believe 1.1.2 will hit the shelves this week already in the states?

2. danielforman macrumors regular

I would expect the ones on the shelves in the US stores will have 1.1.1 for a little while until new stock filters in. Because it is a software update over iTunes Apple wont be worried about making sure iPhones leave the stores with 1.1.2 loaded once the update comes out.

Don't know though if there is anyway to check though as I am from the UK and have not got one yet. The only way to be certain is to get one before the update comes out. Expect to see the 1.1.2 update (if there is to be one) around friday this week to coincide with the UK launch.

3. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

So you're saying that there won't be any iphones w/ 1.1.2 in the store until it is officially released? Thx for the input.

4. ajl917 macrumors 6502

That, and Im pretty sure you wont be sold 1.1.2 phones until they get rid of all of the 1.1.1 phones they currently have...

5. macintel4me macrumors 6502

That would be disappointing, yet reasonable, that 1.1.2 did not have any more features. This cat-and-mouse game between Apple and hackers I'm hoping will be a great churn for feature updates.

6. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

7. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

It appears that Emperor Jobs is doing all he can to make sure that no one that does not pay the "Apple Tax" will be allowed to provide enhancements to the iPhone.

It is interesting to note that Steve Wozniak was quoted in an interview that he thought the iPhone should be opened up to third party apps, including custom ringtones.

In any case, it would be wise to either not take the 1.1.2 update or restore your phone before updating. We don't need any more iBricks.

8. mackk macrumors member

But doesn't 1.1.1 stop 3rd party apps? I know it can be hacked, but won't that be the case with 1.1.2 eventually?

The UK don't get their's for another 5 days, and I think it would take a little while before the US stock came with that software automatically.

9. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I'm sure this is a long shot but is there any chance that your girlfriend could pick an iPhone up for me too while she's in the States?

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Where've you been? Apple have said there's an native SDK coming. This means 3rd party apps (written so that they properly support all features, like multitouch) are coming.

11. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

Sorry, since apple limited sales to 2 per person, theres no chance. She's already picking up another one for my friend. Nice try though ;). Try looking on ebay.de, theres a bunch of unlocked ones at relatively good prices.