Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
I don't know if this has been posted but now when you have headphones plugged in, it will say "headphone" where it said "ringer".

There are a couple little quirks like that too.

wtrinsp

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
parallels

How to set up windows parallel to use usb ports with out unpluging each time you go back to mac & windows.

mister-ryanhead

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Minneapolis
Mobile Safari Loads Pages in Background

I've noticed that Mobile Safari will now load pages in background "tabs" while you are viewing a page in your current "tab".

In previous versions of the firmware it seemed that Safari would only load data in your current "tab," (and background "tabs" were put on hold and didn't continue loading until you switched to them). But I noticed just this morning that I could load several different tabs simultaneously (which is great if you're surfing on EDGE to multiple sites, as you can load stuff in the background while you're reading content on another "tab").

Not sure if this was the case for 1.1.2, but I don't think it was.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
how about the fact that when you reply to a text, your reply appears above the message in the conversation bubbles? ANNOYING!

I noticed this too. What's the point of the conversation bubbles if they don't keep the conversation in the correct order?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I've noticed that Mobile Safari will now load pages in background "tabs" while you are viewing a page in your current "tab".

In previous versions of the firmware it seemed that Safari would only load data in your current "tab," (and background "tabs" were put on hold and didn't continue loading until you switched to them). But I noticed just this morning that I could load several different tabs simultaneously (which is great if you're surfing on EDGE to multiple sites, as you can load stuff in the background while you're reading content on another "tab").

Not sure if this was the case for 1.1.2, but I don't think it was.

FINALLY!

Thanks for this.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I love the new background loading, and the headphone/ringer notation for volume, they're those great little things that make Apple Apple.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
The great little things that makes Apple Apple is the stuff like stating that using third party software on your iPhone invalidates your Hardware warranty because of the possibility of "irreparable damage to software".

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Over this upcoming weekend use caution when inviting friends to your MLK BBQ because the iPhone will correct your spelling of MLK and you will inadvertently invite your friends to a KKK BBQ!
My iPhone is not trying to correct "mlk" although it did suggest "BBQ" for bbq.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Im in the UK and it got me to within about 3 miles

Same - although now I'm back in london it gets me towithin a couple of hundred meters or better (maybe the WiFi thing? - it got the same accuracy on my Dad's Touch). Was on the train the ohter day and tried it a few times - worked every time (to a few miles) even in the countryside.

mister-ryanhead

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Minneapolis
Can Sync Subscribed iPhoto Feeds

Another goodie I just noticed - not sure if this is a firmware 1.1.3 thing or an iTunes 7.6 thing (though I would lean towards it being iTunes)...

You can now sync photos from subscribed albums in iPhoto with your iPhone. You used to only be able to sync albums that are local on your Mac. Nifty!

A great usage I've found for this is subscribing to my Flickr feed in iPhoto - now I can have my recent Flickr images (or anyone else's for that matter) on my iPhone.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
iPods have not been firewire compatible since the video ipod I believe.

any ipod will CHARGE via firewire, but you will not be able to transfer data on modern ipods
be VERY careful charging your iphone with firewire

but to stay on topic... the screen now rotates 360 degrees with the accelerometer. before it wouldn't allow the screen to turn entirely upside down

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
To my surprise I have been roaming around south america and the location service has worked in both Brazil and Venezuela.

ferarri1993

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
locator soesnt work if you used nate true's jailbraik for 1.1.3

i have a 1.1.3 jailbroken iphone that i upgraded from 1.1.2 otb

i found out that when you use nate's upgrade, it doesnt upgrade the bootloader, it only upgrades the firmware, that is why the google maps locator doesnt work, try to use locateme or navizon they work prety well locateme works better, but you have to add a source

so if you want locator to work, you will have to give up the jailbreak

the choice is yours, if you didnt use the jailbreak, then you might not be in your providers network, you could be using a 3rd party tower that is registered with your provider

good luck

genshi

macrumors 6502a
but to stay on topic... the screen now rotates 360 degrees with the accelerometer. before it wouldn't allow the screen to turn entirely upside down

Mine did that for a while. I'd like to say from the very beginning but not 100% sure. I just remember that was alway part of my "let me show you the cool stuff the iphone does in 30 seconds" when I first got it :)

Yep, from the very beginning it was able to rotate photos upside down. That was the very first thing I checked when I got my iPhone on iDay because I was curious about that.

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Still no MMS?

I wonder when they will add MMS functionality. I send and receive picture messages all the time. I occasionally send and receive video messages as well. For a phone that is all about media, no MMS support really undermines that.:rolleyes:

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I'd like for SMS to go into some type of holding pattern and be automatically sent when there is signal. Sometimes I don't reply to my messages right away and when I do, there's no signal. I still have to go back and try to resend the message. Most of the time, I forget to go back and resend the message when I get to some place with signal. It's a basic feature for SMS to go into the outbox until it is sent. At least my L7 had it. I hope Apple fixes this. Maybe make the bubble a different color - red maybe and then have it turn green after it has been sent.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I'd like for SMS to go into some type of holding pattern and be automatically sent when there is signal. Sometimes I don't reply to my messages right away and when I do, there's no signal. I still have to go back and try to resend the message. Most of the time, I forget to go back and resend the message when I get to some place with signal. It's a basic feature for SMS to go into the outbox until it is sent. At least my L7 had it. I hope Apple fixes this. Maybe make the bubble a different color - red maybe and then have it turn green after it has been sent.

That's a good idea.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Good idea, you should send to http://www.apple.com/feedback

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
1.1.3 appears to have broken the previous ability to play iPod audio thru bluetooth connected devices. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.