iPhone 1.1 Update Released ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Compile 'em all, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

There have been some reports on this thread that they were able to download a new release of the iPhone software v1.1 (around 91 MB). Other users reported back that nothing is available via software update, so take it with a grain of salt.

Updates listed below:

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

they must be using some super secret version of iTunes.

3. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I hope this is true, we can send stuff through Bluetooth finally!:apple: (Even though I dont have a iPhone as im in the UK...)

4. Icedog macrumors member

Nothing here. Hope we see it later today though

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

It wouldn't surprise me if an update came as soon as today. I read that before the iPhone was released, updates came down to testers fast and furious. I could see Apple sending out a small update like this that handles core stability issues rather than immediately adding new features as some people want.

7. Bradley W macrumors regular

Apple had to release the iPhone software to the manufactures at least a month before the iPhone launch... so I think they've had enough time to work up a decent update by now.

8. Moral Orel macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure there is no update, some of the members of the SA forums who have to much time on their hands are messing with everyone else. They have this update that no one else in the world seems to have, and won't provide a screenshot? Riiiiggghhhtt, update, sure dudes. :rolleyes:

9. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

Just talked to a my coworkers neighbor who does QA for iphones and he stated no update out as of yet.

10. madagi macrumors member

That ~91 MB sounds suspiciously close to the 91.2 MB size of the restore image that's discussed in this thread. No update via software update, no mention of it on Apple's website and no one else who has this mystery update? Yeah, fake. I know everyone has wishful thinking about an update but it just isn't so. :rolleyes:

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Suspiciously close? Who knows how they are going about software updates. Perhaps they will replace the entire thing, thus 91mb is perfectly fine.

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Well if the update is anything like the AppleTV's this doesn't seem unlikely. The ATV update had a fully bootable partion and during the update process would boot into its own enviroment and patch the system.

13. madagi macrumors member

Did not know that about the Apple TV but I was going off of how OS X updates... they don't give you a whole new OS when there's a patch for a bug or an added feature. If the Apple TV does in fact replace the whole OS then I suppose it's possible updates for the iPhone will do that as well but I personally have never had a phone that replaced the whole OS when an update was made available.

All that aside, you can't ignore the other facts that this update is no where to be found aside from the handful of people who supposedly have it.

I was simply stating that someone may have come across the restore image and mistakenly thought it was an update. Just a theory :eek:

14. Moral Orel macrumors newbie

I am guessing its just a handful of peole being jackasses trying to get peoples hopes I. Don't forget this IS something awful. :/

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I know Palm replaces the whole OS on any updates. Not so sure about Windows Mobile, but I suspect it does the same.

17. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

18. loudestnoise macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

also appears i have a crick in my neck.

19. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

They _really_ need to release a patch to change SMS ring tones. I hate the fact that I have to use my girlfriends razor on the weeks that I am on call for work. SMS messages with LOUD ring tones are very critical for me.

20. Nall macrumors regular

This is from SA, the home of Photoshop Phriday...

That said, interesting that both the software version and firmware version seem to be updated in above pic.

21. chriswheat macrumors regular

Let's see some screen shots of the support for sending photos or contacts over Bluetooth. Then I'll believe there's an update that I can't get my hands on.

22. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Smells a little fishy. The trailing 'a' notation on the build number shouldn't be the same from version to version, since it very likely denotes a sub-build done last-minute to fix a singular issue that was stopping shipping.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A little Photoshop forensics indeed seems to indicate some questionable pixel play between the 5 and 4. Anyone who Photoshops an iPhone screenshot must be really bored.

Oh wait. I just Photoshopped an iPhone screenshot.

Attached Files:

24. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Its likely they made the image and then viewed the image on the phone and took a picture of the phone displaying the image:)

25. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

It's a total hoax....

OK.. You want version 1.5 software and product build version 1A543z??

On a Windows PC:
    1 - Go to your C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources folder
    2 - Make a copy of the file named Recovery.ipsw
    3 - Rename the copy of the file to Recovery.zip
    4 - Extract the Restore.plist file.
    5 - Open it in Notepad
    6 - Search for this: <key>ProductVersion</key>[]
    <string>1.0</string>

Replace it with this: <key>ProductVersion</key>[]
    <string>1.5</string>

7 - Search for this: <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
    <string>1A543a</string>

Replace it with this: <key>ProductBuildVersion</key>
    <string>1A543z</string>
    8 - Save the changes, close the file, and replace the Restore.plist in the zip file with the edited one.
    9 - Rename the zip file back to Recovery.ipsw and copy it over the one in the
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.Resources folder.

Now Open iTunes, Connect your phone, do a pointless restore, and viola... Version 1.5 and 1A543z.

Take a photo, and start a net uproar b/c u r 733t

P.S.

[] in the strings is a hidden char rep of CR or CRLF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.