iPhone X iPhone 11 and SIM free version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KRB24, May 30, 2018.

1. KRB24 macrumors member

Apple sells a SIM free unlocked version of the iPhone X right now. I don't think they sell this on launch day do they? How long does it take for the SIM free version to come out?

2. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

The sim-free models are available a month after launch date which has Qualcomm modem for CDMA and GSM networks.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

4. KRB24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

5. Shadowbech macrumors 601

6. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Depends?

The 8 models were SIM-free from day one. No reason the XI can't be SIM-free on launch. Especially in light of the X was not as big a seller as hoped, do not see why XI would be a huge hit (ala when the 6 came out: truly different [big screen] phone from Apple]).

Extrapolating out, the Plus models sell less than the "standard/small" size, so, the XI+ might not be a huge draw, so, no need to vendor lock the initial sales (ie. might not be a rush for people to upgrade, so, might be an incentive to offer SIM-free day one).

7. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Depends where you live. Sim free unlocked iPhones are available at the Apple Store in Canada at launch, but with the iPhone 7, 8/X only the Intel version is available since we don't have any CDMA cell service providers in Canada. Not sure about other countries...

8. 0007776 Suspended

Typically if you pay full price for a T-Mobile phone from Apple it will be unlocked on launch day even if they aren't advertising them as unlocked. Verizon models also used to be unlocked no matter what, but I heard they are trying to change that, and I'm not sure if it went through yet or not.

9. KRB24, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

KRB24 thread starter macrumors member

I want a sim free version so I wont have to pay the AT&T upgrade fee. I will be paying for it in full so I have that advantage.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68040

They changed it to where it’s locked until activation for now.