Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Hey guys, longtime lurker here for years. So I came from an XS, then got the 11 because I didn't think I'd want the 3rd camera. My first 11 on launch day was amazing. Great battery life, I had it with 13.1.1 on it. Right around the time 13.1.2 came out, I decided I wanted the Pro because I am a photographer and thought if I can go out without my gear, I'd love to try.

So I got the pro, realized battery life on it was terrible (I had about 1-2 hrs of screen time, and it dropped to 79% by the end of a work day when I BARELY used it). So I traded it back in for another 11. This time, the 11 had glass protruding out of the front L side so bad whenever you would swipe back between apps, it would almost cut my finger. So I traded it in AGAIN for another new 11.

So needless to say, I'd love to not have to do this again, but I want to make sure that I have a good device. I noticed my battery level going down last night with the device down, notifications off (do not disturb dim mode, ), background app refresh off, connected to WIFI. It went down 2% per hour, and woke up from 47% to 42% this morning off the charger.

So by the end of the day my battery life is around 50%, the most screen use ive ever gotten from it was 5 hours at 50% battery (which is good) but lately it's been around 2-3 hrs. Now I'm not sure if that's me just not using it as much or not, but I just wanted to see your opinions on the battery.

My wife also has an 11 which seemingly has no battery issues (she always has higher battery levels than I do), but once again, not sure if she's just using it differently. Furthermore, when driving she seems to pick up the cell signal changes quicker than I do, hang onto signal longer than I do (granted its just a minute or two).

Not sure the impact on this, (definitely not bragging at all) but I have a 25K follower instagram account, and she has a 500 follower, so notifications coming in from the app are different when we post daily. I usually have do not disturb on when I post though as well so that I my battery doesn't drain in my pocket.

So what do you guys think, is it just an iOS 13 bug, or do I have a defective unit? I feel like I'm just subconsciously looking for issues now seeing how many units I've been through...

Attachments

• IMG_0309.PNG
    IMG_0309.PNG
    479.9 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0308.PNG
    IMG_0308.PNG
    667.8 KB · Views: 558

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Instagram is definitely a battery hogger. It’s constantly loading images so your data connection is always active.

Merks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Instagram is definitely a battery hogger. It’s constantly loading images so your data connection is always active.

Even with background app refresh off, and the Do Not Disturb turned on? Just wondering why my wife's phone seems seemingly unaffected...

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Even with background app refresh off, and the Do Not Disturb turned on? Just wondering why my wife's phone seems seemingly unaffected...

Is she using the same apps for similar amount of time?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Set up the device from new and don’t restore from a back up - you clearly have a bad/stock process in your old back up.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Instagram and Snapchat are both battery assassins. If you are using it outdoors with high brightness, your numbers may be possible.
Besides, your numbers don’t look too bad, with several almost-4-hours usage and less than 50% battery used.
Given your usage, I doubt you can get significantly more than that out of any iPhone, or out of any device.
I’m going on limited information here, maybe I’m mistaken...

Merks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Instagram and Snapchat are both battery assassins. If you are using it outdoors with high brightness, your numbers may be possible.
Besides, your numbers don’t look too bad, with several almost-4-hours usage and less than 50% battery used.
Given your usage, I doubt you can get significantly more than that out of any iPhone, or out of any device.
I’m going on limited information here, maybe I’m mistaken...

yeah please tell me anything else you need to help with my problem!
[automerge]1571081685[/automerge]
Have this problem too. Changed a new iPhone, guess what? It's fixed.

I guess my question is, what should my battery be at given that it’s a new phone?

DarrenTayyy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
yeah please tell me anything else you need to help with my problem!
[automerge]1571081685[/automerge]

I guess my question is, what should my battery be at given that it’s a new phone?
There is no what should my battery be at, every new iPhone starts at battery health 100%. If you're talking about battery throughout the day percentage, there is no correct or wrong answer. Every user uses their own iPhone differently thus there is no "correct" battery percentage.

Reactions: akash.nu

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Didn’t have this problem the first few days, only 3 percent drain overnight. But recently it has started happening (2 days ago overnight 8 percent drain with no apps doing anything according to battery stats and sot stats, rebooted and next night it was back to 3-4. Now I just wake up and it’s drained 15 percent.

Since it can be fixed with a reboot and it didnt have any problems earlier I really don’t feel the need to exchange, no guarantuee you win’t have this problem again or new problems. But it’s puzzling, what is going on.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I feel you! I got my 11pro four days ago. I left it on the charger almost the entire time to give it the opportunity to sort everything out that it needs to do the first few days (indexing etc). Yesterday I left it off the charger at 100% over night. In the Morning it had 75% left only!! It went down like nothing!
Throughout the day, the trend continued.
I ran it all the way to the ground and charged it up again to 100% over night to let the battery calibrate properly. Today it feels a little bit better but still goes down too quickly I would say. Definitely not much better than my X used to be. It’s 8pm and I’m at 28%.

I’m also wondering if I should replace it, or if it just needs more time to get everything sorted out. I kinda don’t want to go through the trouble of setting up as new. I would do this if the trouble continues after I got a new unit.

For me now, two things are interesting, does it continue to drain by itself by just sitting idle? (This absolutely shouldn’t happen imo).

and 2nd: what are screen on times that are to be expected from this device?

Attachments

• 2415D8C5-030A-414B-B3A0-DC1EE909F3F1.png
    2415D8C5-030A-414B-B3A0-DC1EE909F3F1.png
    883.7 KB · Views: 238

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I feel you! I got my 11pro four days ago. I left it on the charger almost the entire time to give it the opportunity to sort everything out that it needs to do the first few days (indexing etc). Yesterday I left it off the charger at 100% over night. In the Morning it had 75% left only!! It went down like nothing!
Throughout the day, the trend continued.
I ran it all the way to the ground and charged it up again to 100% over night to let the battery calibrate properly. Today it feels a little bit better but still goes down too quickly I would say. Definitely not much better than my X used to be. It’s 8pm and I’m at 28%.

I’m also wondering if I should replace it, or if it just needs more time to get everything sorted out. I kinda don’t want to go through the trouble of setting up as new. I would do this if the trouble continues after I got a new unit.

For me now, two things are interesting, does it continue to drain by itself by just sitting idle? (This absolutely shouldn’t happen imo).

and 2nd: what are screen on times that are to be expected from this device?

There’s nothing called battery calibration. What you’re experiencing is very normal for a new device while it indexes and ensures things are all synced up properly. In fact if you drain your battery down much then it’ll have a negative impact on the battery life.

Battery drains while the device sits idle because it’s not turned off. There are background processes working to ensure things are working as expected. Having said that if the device is not on charge then overnight the battery drainage should be around 3-5% depending on apps and network coverage.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
There’s nothing called battery calibration. What you’re experiencing is very normal for a new device while it indexes and ensures things are all synced up properly. In fact if you drain your battery down much then it’ll have a negative impact on the battery life.

Battery drains while the device sits idle because it’s not turned off. There are background processes working to ensure things are working as expected. Having said that if the device is not on charge then overnight the battery drainage should be around 3-5% depending on apps and network coverage.
Yea, 3-5%, fine. But you saw my screenshot, right?
Here’s another one for you, during the last two hours it again lost 5% doing absolutely nothing, just laying here.
you think it will get there eventually, or should I return it or do I have to set it up as new?

Attachments

• E4AA5E66-47BE-4D20-B341-26E1BBC89856.jpeg
    E4AA5E66-47BE-4D20-B341-26E1BBC89856.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 243

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yea, 3-5%, fine. But you saw my screenshot, right?
Here’s another one for you, during the last two hours it again lost 5% doing absolutely nothing, just laying here.
you think it will get there eventually, or should I return it or do I have to set it up as new?

I say monitor for a couple more days, if things don’t get better then set it up as new and still if it’s worse then return. You’ll still be within 14 days hopefully.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iOS 13.whatever is still beta software. It has lots of problems still. It's the worst iOS release I've ever experienced- bugs. At least I get a little satisfaction knowing that Apple's hundreds of thousands of employees are suffering through the same (....) too. The iOS development team has got to be in the dog house. I wonder if they take the back door out to avoid other employees

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I say monitor for a couple more days, if things don’t get better then set it up as new and still if it’s worse then return. You’ll still be within 14 days hopefully.
The thing is, it’s not like I could return it any day I’d like to. They have to have stock available. And it’s still super rare right now. I already sold my old phone...
I’m so mad about this, just if I knew if it’s broken or just a software thing, I could really sleep better.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Well as I posted in here before I suffer from these drains as well (not as extreme as the OP though, happened twice in a week and about 10-15 percent), but a reboot always at least fixes it for a night or more until whatever I trigger that makes it drain in standby again.

Once it kicks in though even closing all apps, shutting off app refresh and turning on airplane mode can’t save me much: it will drain around 10 percent overnight. Without it would be 10-15. Reboot = 2-3 percent overnight BUT the time will come that the drain comes back.

Last edited:
Reactions: chfilm

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Well as I posted in here before I suffer from these drains as well (not as extreme as the OP though, happened twice in a week and about 10-15 percent), but a reboot always at least fixes it for a night or more until whatever I trigger that makes it drain in standby again.

Once it kicks in though even closing all apps, shuttig off app refresh and turning in airplane mode can’t save me much: it will drain around 10 percent overnight. Without it would be 10-15. Reboot = 2-3 percent overnight BUT the time will come that the drain comes back.
Kinda crazy that it even happens in airplane mode!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.