Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Took my new iphone 11 out today for the first time and I am getting regular errors telling me the phone could not connect to my mobile network provider etc etc. 4G dropped regularly and sometimes I lost all connection to my network provider. There seems to be no particular issue today with coverage problems in my area today.

Is this because I am using the same nano sim card that I had in my 4 year old Iphone 6s plus or is it IOS 13? Or worse: the antennas in my phone?

sammzib

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018
UK
I've had my 11 Pro since launch day having pre ordered it. Had awful signal since moving to it from my 7. have eliminated all carrier side possibilities and it is likely a faulty handset. Going through apple support.

getting annoyed that they did remote diagnostics, saw that there is clearly something going wrong, told me to factory reset (but to not restore from a back up ?) and if the issue persists to get back in touch. It has persisted so got back in touch only to be told i need to use the phone for longer to get more data for diagnostic tests.

There is clearly a problem with my phone but they're putting off replacing it and im stuck with a £1200 ipod touch

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
So yeah a reboot on that day fixed it for me.... until I rebooted the phone again today and once outside the same prompt that I could not connect to my carrier’s 4g network (4g letters gone but signal bars still showing though). I had to do another reboot to fix this.
So what’s going on? My next reboot will give me this problem again and I will need another reboot after to fix?

This doesn’t seem normal but it also doesn’t seem like a hardware problem (unless I need a new sim card? This one is the same I used on my Iphone 6s plus).

Lyric

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Is this the error that you’re getting?

7c5708759070c6897dddf64363e82bd0.jpg

I had the same SIM card for five years and kept getting this error when I switched to my 11 Pro. Since getting a new SIM I haven’t had any issues.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I’m using the same SIM card that came with my 6 Plus and get faster speeds than my cable internet on ip11

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Are you upgrading from 6s?

yep, 6s plus.

I had the same SIM card for five years and kept getting this error when I switched to my 11 Pro. Since getting a new SIM I haven’t had any issues.

Hmmm. Maybe I’ll ask for a new sim and see if that helps. Because that is indeed the message I am getting.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I had call and connection issues with my 11 Pro so I went to Apple Store and returned it. Well sort of. I had a T-Mobile version 512GB in white. Since they didn't have another in the same size, color and carrier they could not exchange it. I returned it and got a Verizon version 512GB in Green.. Service provider matters not as I was paying full price and can just pop any SIM in...

So far, so good with the VZW Green... I do dig the green color tho....

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

That’s interesting as the sim doesn’t contain any radio hardware or antennas. Maybe something else that causes issues for your carrier in that combination of device and service.

Lyric

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
That’s interesting as the sim doesn’t contain any radio hardware or antennas. Maybe something else that causes issues for your carrier in that combination of device and service.

True, however, the phone was showing that I was still connected to the network and should have been receiving service, but it wasn’t. There were no outages in my area. My SIM was reset by my provider’s 3 times and the issue persisted. Either way, a SIM swap fixed it. May not work for everyone but it was what worked in my case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.