Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I have a 2015 Tesla Model S and ever since I got the iPhone X, I get horrible GPS signal in my car with my phone and Waze is unusable in my car. It has something to do with the coating on the Tesla windshields for autopilot that interfere's with the signal. I've tried other friend's phones and software resets, etc. and it's not a software issue or limited to my phone. It also happens on my XR. Here is the strange thing...I have an iPhone 5s from work, which is a test phone and that works PERFECT. The newer Tesla's don't have this issue as they changed the way they coat the windshields.

Apple changed something with the GPS antenna since the older models and my hope is, when I get my 11 Pro today, I don't have the issue anymore. I am not hopeful since it's very similar to previous models. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this?

Reactions: adam1080

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
iPhone X/XS/11 Pro, but not Xr/11, has 4x4 MIMO antenna. If I’ve understood it correctly, it SHOULD be better, but in reality XS always had worse reception than the XR.
Could this also have an effect on the GPS? I don’t know, I’m just guessing..

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
It's maddening that I have this ultra tech car, (that doesn't have Carplay) and then I try to use Waze on my phone and I cannot use it either!!! When I drive rentals with Carplay, I realize how much I want it!

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
Had the same problem
I have a 2015 Tesla Model S and ever since I got the iPhone X, I get horrible GPS signal in my car with my phone and Waze is unusable in my car. It has something to do with the coating on the Tesla windshields for autopilot that interfere's with the signal. I've tried other friend's phones and software resets, etc. and it's not a software issue or limited to my phone. It also happens on my XR. Here is the strange thing...I have an iPhone 5s from work, which is a test phone and that works PERFECT. The newer Tesla's don't have this issue as they changed the way they coat the windshields.

Apple changed something with the GPS antenna since the older models and my hope is, when I get my 11 Pro today, I don't have the issue anymore. I am not hopeful since it's very similar to previous models. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this?
had the same exact problem with my prius prime and xr.only when I plugged it in gps would go crazy.if i unplug it and plug it back innit would better but only happens somtimes

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
iPhone X/XS/11 Pro, but not Xr/11, has 4x4 MIMO antenna. If I’ve understood it correctly, it SHOULD be better, but in reality XS always had worse reception than the XR.
Could this also have an effect on the GPS? I don’t know, I’m just guessing..

MIMO is for wifi and not GPS

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I hope so also, my iPhone X had the worst reception ever of 8 iPhones and I had the launch day "you're holding it wrong" phone also.

Cell reception was horrible and GPS was just as terrible. I'm will be livid if my X Pro is as bad. I can't see how that would even be possible. I might as well carry around a marine chronometer and compass and maps.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Well I can confirm GPS remains an issue in my car with the 11 pro. Maybe the 12 will be better???!!

glassman4009

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Spencer ny
The truth is that the antena in these phones suck just as bad as the XS One bar and wont connect and no service at all. When i have full service on my 8 plus and nothing on the XS Max and Pro Max tells you something . Delt with this crap for a year and not dealing with it for another. Shame on you apple for not correcting this

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Well I can confirm GPS remains an issue in my car with the 11 pro. Maybe the 12 will be better???!!

I've never had problems with GPS signals in my cars, going all the way back to the iPhone 4. This makes me think something in your Tesla is interfering with the GPS signal.

Do you perhaps have window tints installed that have a metallic component? Some window tints do this to improve heat rejection and this will definitely impeded the GPS signal, especially if it's on the windshield.

Does signal improve when you open the windows and/or sunroof?

Just a thought.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I've never had problems with GPS signals in my cars, going all the way back to the iPhone 4. This makes me think something in your Tesla is interfering with the GPS signal.

Do you perhaps have window tints installed that have a metallic component? Some window tints do this to improve heat rejection and this will definitely impeded the GPS signal, especially if it's on the windshield.

Does signal improve when you open the windows and/or sunroof if your car has one?

Just a thought.

Good thought and idea. I am using 3M crystalline tint which is ceramic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.