iPhone 11 Models Feature 'U1' Ultra Wideband Chip Amid Rumors of Apple Item-Tracking Tags

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max models are equipped with a "U1" ultra wideband chip for "spatial awareness," according to tech specs on Apple's website, which should result in more accurate indoor positioning and pave the way for the future launch of Apple's rumored Tile-like item tracking tags.

[​IMG]

Apple explains:
    Apple's tags will also feature ultra wideband tech, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The distance between two UWB devices can be measured precisely by calculating the time that it takes for a radio wave to pass between the two devices, with much more accuracy than Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi.

[​IMG]

While the Apple Tags were not announced at Apple's event today, no reliable sources ever provided a timeframe for their release. There is plenty of evidence of the tags in internal iOS 13 code, but perhaps Apple is waiting until iOS 13.1 is released on September 30 or for a potential October event to unveil them.

MacRumors shared several exclusive details about the Apple Tags last month.

Article Link: iPhone 11 Models Feature 'U1' Ultra Wideband Chip Amid Rumors of Apple Item-Tracking Tags

2. mozumder macrumors 6502a

The October iPad Pro event will be the "by innovation only" event if they release all this.

3. Thrutheroofnunderground macrumors member

Thrutheroofnunderground

And the event has come and gone and no mention of the Apple tracking "tile" things. So...October? Or is this a AirPower moment?

4. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Yeah; what gives?
    Event supposedly something to do with innovation, and the only thing that would (almost) fall into that category is a no-show.
    (regardless of whether you're in the target market for it)

5. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

By definition it can't be an AirPower moment. Analysts made the claims, not Apple.

I expect the October event is where these will be announced anyway.

6. PastaPrimav Suspended

Thanks for acknowledging that Macrumors is not a reliable source. Should we hop into the wayback machine to review all of the myriad of things you got wrong today?

7. jcswim312 macrumors member

jcswim312

This looks like a very cool feature!

Good thing I didn’t invest in a bunch of Tile trackers because I think Apple’s tracker will work much better due to the millions of iOS devices out there...

8. Moriend87 macrumors newbie

Did macrumors announce a date that they would !be announced?

9. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

More still left for the October event. Apple will stack their lineup for Christmas sales so they’re not going to let the opportunity pass.

Apple tile, new AirPods and a new AppleTV just before the Nov 1 TV+ launch will piggyback among the new 16” MacBookPro, official Mac Pro release, possible HomePod mini or at the very least a refreshed Beats lineup all with AirPlay 2.

I wouldn’t be too surprised by an AirPower release after 6 months of working to get it right, though I believe they might be rethinking the entire concept which will put it a year or more into the future. I don’t believe that they’re giving up on wireless power, just going back to the drawing board without that looming deadline they set for themselves originally.

10. ErikGrim macrumors 601

ErikGrim

This is obviously part of Apple’s AR initiative. I can see this working in tandem with people occlusion in the future, and as a test bed for the AR glasses.

11. Drmash, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019

Drmash macrumors newbie

This will be great for inside navigation and way-finding. No long need expensive iBeacons or other RFID technology. Have one technology that can be placed next to a display in an art gallery and have an interactive experience or place on a device to follow a customer around for service. Commercial and consumer applications. Very smart