iPhone 11 Pro iPhone 11 Pro = 2 year old iPhone X with better camera

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
So I played with the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro in the Apple Store. They look like the same phone as my 2 year iPhone X to me and under real usage (no geekbench), it is the same as my 2 year old iPhone X. The only real difference is when I flipped the phone and see the backside or use the Photo app (as the iPhone 11 Pro has a different Photo app than the iPhone X).

The super duper retina HDR display, I only noticed the difference when I did a side by side comparison. It is slightly better but under normal usage, I don’t notice the difference against the iPhone X. The iPhone X is just as sharp, but is a bit more blue and is slightly dimmer (who uses their iPhone on maximum brightness anyway?).

So the Apple Store did have them in stock and I could pick it up. But then I was thinking, will I be paying $1500 for only a better camera? (the other improvements, I don’t notice it under real world usage) I guess this thing is a nice upgrade for instagram models?

I didn’t test the battery life but since my iPhone X still last for 2 days, big deal. Also I was not able to test the new FaceID to see if it will unlock on a desk since it was too crowded in the Apple Store (if this actually works, than this could literally be the only reason to buy the iPhone 11 Pro for me).

I also did not test the Antena performance since this is not possible in the Apple store. This was something that was playing on the back of my mind as the iPhone XS phones has reception issues with the Intel modem.

So I am completely cured of the itch to upgrade my 2 year old iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro. Was thinking of the Samsung Note 10+ or other flagship Android phones but since my iPhone X is still an Apple flagship product (except for the camera) in 2019, why not just keep using it still? :p

I will be waiting for the 2020 iPhone which will hopefully bring all the features that the flagship Android phones has. I will probably be checking out the Apple Watch Series 5 (if it finally supports regular Qi charging) or perhaps a new iPad Pro or the 16-inch Macbook Pro once they are announced instead.

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Just texting, making phone calls, some browsing during breaks and listening to podcasts or music. I don’t use it for gaming as I don’t like iOS games (they are pay to win full of micro transactions).

For being productive, I use a computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.J. Sefton

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
So I played with the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro in the Apple Store. They look like the same phone as my 2 year iPhone X to me and under real usage (no geekbench), it is the same as my 2 year old iPhone X.
Phones have (nearly) matured to the point that laptops and TV's have. Incremental improvements with each new model and not a lot of revolutionary upgrades from one year to the next. You don't see most people rushing out and buying a new MacBook or TV every time a new model is released each year, do you? Phones are reaching the same point - small improvements here and there with each new model. Not sure why everyone expects each new phone to be groundbreaking.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
if you trade in your X you do get a have decent trade in value I went for the 11 Max Pro and I do feel it was a good upgrade but this year I went contact vrs buying out right so that did play a role in my decision.

TorontoSS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I agree with you, it’s not a huge increase from the X. But I still did it because I got a decent trade in value. I find a noticeable difference in speed for doing everything in general but I never once felt the x was too slow. In fact it is still an amazing device to me.

AND the 11 pro is definitely more hefty. It has more weight. It’s noticeable. I’m still happy with my upgrade but agree it’s not massive.

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Big difference are

massive battery life improvement
amazing camera

two of the most important features on a phone for most people. If you use your phone just for texts, calls anyway then maybe a smartphone isn’t a need in the first place.

calstanford

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
So I played with the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro in the Apple Store. They look like the same phone as my 2 year iPhone X to me and under real usage (no geekbench), it is the same as my 2 year old iPhone X. The only real difference is when I flipped the phone and see the backside or use the Photo app (as the iPhone 11 Pro has a different Photo app than the iPhone X).

The super duper retina HDR display, I only noticed the difference when I did a side by side comparison. It is slightly better but under normal usage, I don’t notice the difference against the iPhone X. The iPhone X is just as sharp, but is a bit more blue and is slightly dimmer (who uses their iPhone on maximum brightness anyway?).

So the Apple Store did have them in stock and I could pick it up. But then I was thinking, will I be paying $1500 for only a better camera? (the other improvements, I don’t notice it under real world usage) I guess this thing is a nice upgrade for instagram models?

I didn’t test the battery life but since my iPhone X still last for 2 days, big deal. Also I was not able to test the new FaceID to see if it will unlock on a desk since it was too crowded in the Apple Store (if this actually works, than this could literally be the only reason to buy the iPhone 11 Pro for me).

I also did not test the Antena performance since this is not possible in the Apple store. This was something that was playing on the back of my mind as the iPhone XS phones has reception issues with the Intel modem.

So I am completely cured of the itch to upgrade my 2 year old iPhone X to the iPhone 11 Pro. Was thinking of the Samsung Note 10+ or other flagship Android phones but since my iPhone X is still an Apple flagship product (except for the camera) in 2019, why not just keep using it still? :p

I will be waiting for the 2020 iPhone which will hopefully bring all the features that the flagship Android phones has. I will probably be checking out the Apple Watch Series 5 (if it finally supports regular Qi charging) or perhaps a new iPad Pro or the 16-inch Macbook Pro once they are announced instead.
It's in no way even a 'better camera'. Look at all the real-life sample photos posted on here. They're blurry low resolution de-noised to hell. Night mode is a nice gimmick for instagram but nothing more. (barely 3-4MP I would estimate them to be)

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
I didn’t test the battery life but since my iPhone X still last for 2 days, big deal.
It doesn’t sound like you use your phone often enough to justify an upgrade.

At least you figured it out without having to open a new unit and then return it, leaving one less unit for someone who actually wanted to buy one.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I went from a XS max to 11 Pro Max just to get back on the 2 year non S cycle. The excited wore off rather quickly. It looks and feels better than the XS max but that’s about it. I probably would have been fine with the 11, if the screen were the same size.
What would wow me is apple coming out with a screen that’s very similar to the note 10.. absolutely gorgeous display. That would be a game changer.

janeauburn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015

Remember: next year comes 5G, making today’s new models worth a lot less in no time. 5G is the game changer. Anyone buying a phone today thinking it will hold them for 3 to 4 years is kidding herself.

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I upgraded from the X to 11 pro and so far biggest differences are the camera is much better (no comparison) and better battery life. It does feel faster and brighter with slightly better colors. I would be happy with the X one more year, but I used to upgrade cameras every year, so figured would upgrade this year for the camera and of course better battery life. Definitely not a Wow iPhone cycle change coming from an X. Hopefully, next year is.

Resident Guru

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Remember: next year comes 5G, making today’s new models worth a lot less in no time. 5G is the game changer. Anyone buying a phone today thinking it will hold them for 3 to 4 years is kidding herself.
So true. Once 5g is out all these LTE phones will cease to have any cellular reception. Also, we can be certain that the entire country will be blanketed in strong 5g coverage, it will be glorious!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This is why people are keeping phones longer and longer. Apps have not really changed, so you are seeing exactly what you should see. Two years later a phone should still be a fast working device. Camera/Battery are the areas where improvements can be made, so that is what you are seeing.

Like you, I was contemplating an upgrade but I personally do not take a ton of photos. I buy my phones outright, so upgrading is a little bigger decision that people on upgrade plans. I am really hoping for a redesigned smaller (SE style) phone in 2020.

GDF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
5g won't be blanket coverage anytime soon. It takes so many towers to do that. LTE will be good for at least 3 or 4 years. Look how long 3g lasted....

Reactions: bobbba

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
The differences:

1) Much better camera. This is most of the update
2) greatly improved battery life (at the expense of a little weight)
3) new modified processor (although not a big leap)
4) new materials (glass, many things)
5) new srceen mods.
6) COLORS!!!! :)

So it's an update.

We're getting all these people who are going to a overcrowded Apple store and reporting back about their reasons why they didn't buy anything, when the reason is.......money (always the reason :D)

Mac

pshifrin

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2010
My almost 2 year old X was replaced by Apple under AC+ because of a swelling battery, just two weeks ago. So now, I have a "brand new" X with 100% battery health and prefect screen / body. There are 43 days left of AC+ on this replacement. I see no reason to upgrade now. I'd appreciate the increased battery life for sure but it's hard to justify after the swap. I see no reason why this replacement won't last me another year and then I'd definitely go for the (hopefully) USB-C / 5G iPhone.

This is amazing considering I've had every model since the original, the X is just THAT good!

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
Just texting, making phone calls, some browsing during breaks and listening to podcasts or music. I don’t use it for gaming as I don’t like iOS games (they are pay to win full of micro transactions).

For being productive, I use a computer.
Then you'd probably be fine with a four-year-old iPhone 6s for another year, if you'd been using one of those instead of a X. It's a mature product category and there isn't as much incentive to upgrade often as there used to be, especially at the current prices.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
5g is a joke anyway. It’s not what you think it is. There will never be wide coverage with it unless everyone gets a microcell. 5g will quickly be replaced before it ever takes off. Carriers like 5g because they want to sell you a microcell for another monthly service charge.

Reactions: Arndroid

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
How little are you using your phone that you get two days of battery life out of it?
Little enough he thinks the x is the same as an 11 pro.
- - Post merged: - -

5g won’t be viable for many people until late 2021 at the earliest.

Reactions: Mabus51