Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malikkamran1

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2019
iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max Battery Life Discrepancy Somebody help me understand something.

So the iPhone XS lasts 30 minutes longer than the iPhone X. The iPhone XS Max lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes longer than the iPhone. It’s therefore reasonable to assume the iPhone XS Max lasts 1 hour longer than the iPhone XS. The iPhone 11 Pro lasts 4 hours longer than the iPhone XS and the iPhone 11 Pro Max lasts 5 hours longer than the iPhone XS Max. It’s therefore reasonable to assume the iPhone 11 Pro Max lasts 2 hours longer than the iPhone 11 Pro.

If you’re unsure about how this works, see end for calculation. The iPhone XS had 2659 mah and the iPhone XS Max had 3174 mah, a difference of 515 mah, yet there was only a 1 hour difference in battery life. The iPhone 11 Pro has 3190 mah and the iPhone 11 Pro Max has 3500 mah, a difference of 310 mah, yet there’s a 2 hour difference in battery life. There is a smaller difference in battery capacity this year but a larger difference in actual battery life.

Why is this?
Calculation: let x = iPhone XS battery life
let y = iPhone XS Max battery life
we know y = x + 1
let a = iPhone 11 Pro battery life let b = iPhone 11 Pro Max battery life
we know a = x + 4
we know b = y + 5 = (x + 1) + 5 = x + 6
therefore b - a = x + 6 - (x + 4) = 2

**EDIT**: for those saying it's because of the A13, both the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max have the A13. Therefore, any gains in efficiency enjoyed by the iPhone 11 Pro Max will also be enjoyed by the iPhone 11 Pro.

**EDIT 2**: so the new Super Retina Display XDR is more efficient than previous displays by 15%. Let's assume, arbitrarily, the iPhone XS display consumes 100 units of power and the iPhone XS Max display consumes 300 units of power. The discrepancy is therefore 200 units of power. A 15% energy efficiency gain means the iPhone 11 Pro display consumes 85 units of power whilst the iPhone 11 Pro Max display consumes 255 units of power. The discrepancy therefore falls from 200 units to 170 units (15% decrease). This would mean, holding all else constant, the same increase in energy efficiency in percentage terms for both displays results in a larger increase in **absolute** terms for the larger display. So we know that the discrepancy falls by 15%, but I don't know if that fully explains why BOTH capacity discrepancy has decreased AND battery life discrepancy increased.

Last edited:

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I was just thinking about this earlier. It blowed my mind when I saw an increase with the 11 Pro from the Xs Max. Maybe the lack of 3D Touch makes a difference on top of a slightly improved chip. I mean... how much room is left to make a chip better? They can only get so fast.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
The 5 hours extra quote comes from the fact that the XS max can play video for 15 hours, and the 11pm can do 20 hours.
I think the much improved battery comes from a combination of
Improved A13 efficiency
Improved screen efficiency
Bigger battery
I’m looking forward to seeing how it fares in real usage

Reactions: malikkamran1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.