Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I’m coming from an 11 pro, which saw huge camera improvements with Deep Fusion. To me this was one of the biggest reasons to upgrade as picture quality really improved with this feature.
I’m looking into upgrading this year as well, but can anyone tell me how much the cameras have improved since the 11 pro? I’m not talking about low light, because I know that has seen big improvements. I’m just wondering about normal clear light pictures. Is the picture quality improved much?

I haven’t found any comparisons with older iPhones, just with last years or Android phones.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I went back in my albums and looked up some old photos in similar conditions to photos I've taken this week. What a belter of a camera that 11 Pro was - so many of my 2019/20 photos hold up really well.

With the main camera, there's just generally more detail with the 48mp sensor, both last year and now the new 24mp interpolated versions. It's not a huge difference but when you're looking at busy areas - hair, bushes, grass, etc - there is definitely more there. You can usually zoom in one or two clicks more before things get soft and fuzzy.

I can't speak to the usefulness 24mm-28mm-35mm version on the main camera as I haven't really had time to properly experiment with them.

In feel the biggest difference is with the telephoto. The telephoto from the 11 Pro era don't stand up as well - they're okay, but are quite soft once you start looking closely. The 14 Pro and now the 15 Pro telephoto, while still not as good as main cameras, are much more better and more versatile.

The area where there is the least difference (and most disappointment) from the 11 Pro to the 15 Pro, in my experience, in the ultrawide. I find that occasionally I get interesting perspectives/angles for things like architectural shots, but in general I don't think the quality of these shots is as impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyloba

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I've been wondering how the iPhone 11 pro camera compares to the entry level iPhone 15. While the iPhone 15 doesn't have a x2 telephoto like the iPhone 11 pro does, I understand it can get the same effect using the 48 megapixel sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.