Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Do I order a protector for my iPhone 11 Pro Max camera or no ?

That’s holding me off getting the replacement iPhone from Apple care.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors 604
Oct 18, 2011
Not sure why you'd need one if you already have a case that creates some spacings?. I have never used one on mine and still pristine as day 1 (Launch Day).

Last edited:
Comment

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Do I order a protector for my iPhone 11 Pro Max camera or no ?

That’s holding me off getting the replacement iPhone from Apple care.
Are you using a case? If so probably not. If you’re going caseless then yeah if you’re concerned.

Out of curiosity why is that holding you off from getting a replacement iPhone? What’s wrong with your current that it needs replaced?

Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Real quick, the lens you can see and touch on an iPhone is a lens cover. Its purpose is to protect the actual camera lens behind it. Apple uses sapphire crystal because its highly transparent and highly scratch resistant.

Protecting the lens cover (protecting the protector?) can be more harmful than helpful.

Keep in mind dust produced by grinding, cutting, sanding and drilling (abrasives and cutting materials) contain aluminum oxide, tungsten carbide, etc. Even driving down a gravel road will kick up aluminum oxide, and then slamming on your brakes to stop will cause brake dust which is filled with silicon carbide (mostly high performance brakes). Those are just a few easy sources of dust that contains minerals as hard and/or harder than Apples sapphire lens which means they can be abrasive too it.

Typically this isn't a problem. The problem is when you make a place for dust to rub between things like between a lens and a lens protector.

Degraded imagine quality would be the main problem though. Most of those protectors are tempered glass (or even plastic) which can scratch much easier than sapphire. Adding another lens also adds two additional surfaces for dust and micro scratches which will make the image softer and reduce transparency. The lens protector will catch some of the light cause images to look a bit washed out. Typically its not until it gets really bad that a lens protector is removed revealing much better images leaving the owner with weeks, months, even years of sub optimal photos.

If you are worried about it get a lens protector with camera cutouts OR a case that recesses the camera bump.

Good luck!

Reactions: Lekro
Comment

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
Real quick, the lens you can see and touch on an iPhone is a lens cover. Its purpose is to protect the actual camera lens behind it. Apple uses sapphire crystal because its highly transparent and highly scratch resistant.

Protecting the lens cover (protecting the protector?) can be more harmful than helpful.

Keep in mind dust produced by grinding, cutting, sanding and drilling (abrasives and cutting materials) contain aluminum oxide, tungsten carbide, etc. Even driving down a gravel road will kick up aluminum oxide, and then slamming on your brakes to stop will cause brake dust which is filled with silicon carbide (mostly high performance brakes). Those are just a few easy sources of dust that contains minerals as hard and/or harder than Apples sapphire lens which means they can be abrasive too it.

Typically this isn't a problem. The problem is when you make a place for dust to rub between things like between a lens and a lens protector.

Degraded imagine quality would be the main problem though. Most of those protectors are tempered glass (or even plastic) which can scratch much easier than sapphire. Adding another lens also adds two additional surfaces for dust and micro scratches which will make the image softer and reduce transparency. The lens protector will catch some of the light cause images to look a bit washed out. Typically its not until it gets really bad that a lens protector is removed revealing much better images leaving the owner with weeks, months, even years of sub optimal photos.

If you are worried about it get a lens protector with camera cutouts OR a case that recesses the camera bump.

Good luck!
This 100%. I can recommend a skin like dbrand on the camera lens cover, it leaves the aperture section unaffected while making the lens cover recessed a bit.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.