iPhone 11 Pro iPhone 11 pro max restore from beta 13.1

tigercraig1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Has anyone experienced any issues restoring from backup of beta 13.1 to their new iPhone Pro Max?

Reactions: Jest3r

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Don’t have mine yet but Apple did post 13.1 IPSW files for the new phones yesterday. You’ll have to first enroll your new phone in the beta program and update it to the 13.1 beta. Then you should be able to restore from the 13.1 backup file from your old phone without issue.

tigercraig1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Don’t have mine yet but Apple did post 13.1 IPSW files for the new phones yesterday. You’ll have to first enroll your new phone in the beta program and update it to the 13.1 beta. Then you should be able to restore from the 13.1 backup file from your old phone without issue.
Thank you 👍👍👍

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
you can downgrade from 13.1 to 13 without restoring, you just get the 13 GM ipsw and then do option-update and select that file to downgrade. Then you can create a backup.

Or like others have said you have to update iPhone 11 to 13.1

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
How is the 'restore data from old phone over wireless' supposed to work? It did the first part but then comes to the restore apps and data and the only options are iCloud, Mac and PC, etc. How does actually do the data part?

The old phone is still spinning on 'Finish on new phone'.

So: Is it doing something or what?

Old phone is 13.1B4, don't know if that matters or not.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I cannot get 13.1 beta 4 to install on my 11 Pro Max. Upon initial install, it rebooted to an Apple logo and a spin wheel. After 20 minutes, I hard reset the phone and it rebooted to a message that it could not be installed. I tried the install again and got a reboot to the same message.

I reinstalled iOS 13, reinstalled the beta profile, restarted the phone, and I'm now trying the beta install again. It's not looking good.

Reactions: leesweet

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I cannot get 13.1 beta 4 to install on my 11 Pro Max. Upon initial install, it rebooted to an Apple logo and a spin wheel. After 20 minutes, I hard reset the phone and it rebooted to a message that it could not be installed. I tried the install again and got a reboot to the same message.

I reinstalled iOS 13, reinstalled the beta profile, restarted the phone, and I'm now trying the beta install again. It's not looking good.
Installing 13.1B4 now.. let you know how it goes, plan was to load B4 and then restore backup, as the wireless 'automatic' route didn't do anything for data/apps.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
image.jpg
Looks like resetting all content and settings to iOS 13,reinstalling the beta profile, rebooting, and then installing 13.1b4 did the trick for me. 👍

Reactions: leesweet

suyashsrij28

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2019
London, England

Same happened with me. I had to force reboot my phone and redownload the beta & then it installed fine!

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I successfully updated my wife's phone without the fuss by manually setting up her 11 pro, installing the beta, and then automatically setting up the new device on 13.1.

In summary, setup manually, install the beta, and THEN you can use the automatic setup. 👍

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Loaded beta and loading data from backup now, looks good there... GF's phone is on 12.4.1, so I'll try the automatic on that to the new 11 Pro. Still don't exactly what it's supposed to do beyond the wifi/login creds as never seen it.... I assume there's another option in the restore data list or it does more and won't let you get you that page as it's already doing it?

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
So, lol, as the backup was starting, I was setting up the erased 11 Pro Max, and went through the Face ID, and all that, and it came to the copy data list, and now there is 'copy from other phone. So, now it appears. Of course.

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Loaded beta and loading data from backup now, looks good there... GF's phone is on 12.4.1, so I'll try the automatic on that to the new 11 Pro. Still don't exactly what it's supposed to do beyond the wifi/login creds as never seen it.... I assume there's another option in the restore data list or it does more and won't let you get you that page as it's already doing it?
IMG_1818.jpg
Looks like it's going to pull everything directly from one device to the other.

xgman

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2007
I wonder if this will all work if the 13.1 beta on the old phone doesn't update to release version on Tues (which sometimes happens even if removed beta profile) and you try the same thing then, but it will be 13.1 release ver by then. Do the two 13.1 versions have to be an exact long version number match?

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
After all that, had to start over, doing it with phone to phone copy, seems to be working. Looks like the only thing that will need to be done afterwards will be the phone name (if you had a phone hardware specific name, like iPhone MX Max, etc.)
- - Post merged: - -

I wonder if this will all work if the 13.1 beta on the old phone doesn't update to release version on Tues (which sometimes happens even if removed beta profile) and you try the same thing then, but it will be 13.1 release ver by then. Do the two 13.1 versions have to be an exact long version number match?
Yeah B4 may be GM or who knows.