Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Ledurpabbi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
Berlin
Hi,
I got my 11 Pro Max on launch day here in Germany and I have been extra careful while handling it. Bought the Apple leather case for it and no screen protection.

Yesterday I was outside and noticed a lot of small/fine scratches on the glass/screen.

Anyone else having this problem? Thinking of going to the Apple Store tomorrow to show them.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
More than likely micro scratches in the olephobic costing. Comes from normal use. Being pressed against your face, slide in and out of your pocket, etc. I highly doubt Apple will do anything for you. Your best bet is probably to return it and buy a new one, but that will be pointless because it will happen again.

Reactions: Rich74

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
I use a screen protector so wouldn't know. I highly doubt they'll do anything? Return it if you're bothered and get a screen protector

Ledurpabbi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
Berlin
Have never seen this happen on an iPhone I own. Never use a screen protector, just don't like it, but I take care of my stuff. Always put my phone in a pocket on its own.
More than likely micro scratches in the olephobic costing. Comes from normal use. Being pressed against your face, slide in and out of your pocket, etc. I highly doubt Apple will do anything for you. Your best bet is probably to return it and buy a new one, but that will be pointless because it will happen again.

Well this did not happen with my previous 6 or 7 iPhones. It just seems weird to see this after so few days in use.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Unfortunately the oleophobic coating scratches a lot easier than the 6/7/8 models. You could exchange it and apply a screen protector to your new one.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Unfortunately the oleophobic coating scratches a lot easier than the 6/7/8 models. You could exchange it and apply a screen protector to your new one.

Probably not a point in even exchanging it. From what I hear, applying a screen protector will actually hide a lot of the scratches. My own advise, is use the phone how you want, within reason. I never used screen protectors, but I am with this phone, because of where I work. I’m around a lot of sand, that blows around among other things, and it’s unavoidable to get sand in my pocket with my phone. If I had a different job, I more than likely wouldn’t use one. Usually you can’t tell the scratches in the olephobic coating are there unless you have the screen off and looking it under bright light.
Also I’m not sure if they upgraded the glass on the screen as well with “the worlds most durable glass ever”. But the properties of glass, the harder it is to shatter, the easier it is to scratch, and vise versa.

mamut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
I also noticed that ''issue''

my 1 week old 11 Pro has 1 sctatch, don't know how, I also have XS which is 1 year old, 0 scratches, it is like new. I dont use any screen protector or case, I take care of my phone, and this one is taken care off too, but scratch is here..

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I use a screen protector, but if the oleophobic coating is so thin, would the stickiness of the screen protector make the coating come off then the protector is removed?

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
All phones have micro scratches under the right lighting. Even those that say they don’t ha e scratches, have scratches. Just how it works. Use a protector or move on with life. Only time to worry about it is when it’s a gouge. One you can feel and see under any lighting condition.

Reactions: John.B.Sirius

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
I use a screen protector, but if the oleophobic coating is so thin, would the stickiness of the screen protector make the coating come off then the protector is removed?

Most of the hard glass protector adhesives will likely remove that coating.
I have not read any 9H glass protectors with disclaimers that state 'safe for phone coatings'

Reactions: moderniste

Mity

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2014
Hi,
I got my 11 Pro Max on launch day here in Germany and I have been extra careful while handling it. Bought the Apple leather case for it and no screen protection.

Yesterday I was outside and noticed a lot of small/fine scratches on the glass/screen.

Anyone else having this problem? Thinking of going to the Apple Store tomorrow to show them.

There's an 80+ page thread on Apple Discussions with people reporting the same issue:

I would go to the Apple Store ASAP and show them that thread so they realize it's not your fault.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.