• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
hi there, i got the iphone 11 pro max the day it came out and the screen was scratched right out of the box. i exchanged it for a new one at the local apple store, but this one the metal band around the glass screen is razor sharp.. it even cut my finger. it doesn’t feel flush with the glass.

my iphone XS max is totally flush and doesn’t have this problem. no sharp edge.

has anyone else noticed this on their phone? i’m going to have to return it. i wouldn’t care if the case covered it all but the bottom of the phone the case doesn’t cover it and whenever i hold it or swipe up it is very sharp ?

i’ve never had a problem with an iphone before so i’m pretty shocked that two would be defective right out of the box.

Kavik

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
This was my first observation on the 11 Pro Max when I went to the Apple Store yesterday. I thought the stainless steel bezel was going to cut my finger and was surprised that they would have a display model out that appeared to be defective.

Unfortunately, I checked out several other Pro Max phones and they had more or less the same non-flush stainless bevels. Some weren't quite as sharp, but definitely not the fit and finish expected from Apple and particularly not on the flagship phone.

Comment

AndyDandy1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2018
Ihave a tech 21 case on it so it doesn't bother me but mine is very sharp. I took it to the apple store and the majority had the same issue.

Should not cause any long term issues other than being sharp right?

Comment

Shadowbech

macrumors 604
Oct 18, 2011
Ihave a tech 21 case on it so it doesn't bother me but mine is very sharp. I took it to the apple store and the majority had the same issue.

Should not cause any long term issues other than being sharp right?
Last year, had the same issue with the xs max, simply what i did was with the old credit/debit or any plastic card, I ran it over the edges to smooth it out and pretty much did the job. I think it's the black rubber gasket that isn't quite adhered to the edge of the screen.

*At your own risk though please.

Reactions: AndyDandy1
Comment

Shadowbech

macrumors 604
Oct 18, 2011
Yes, the edges are not super smooth where the front and back pieces of glass meet the curved sides.
Luckily for me, I received my Pro Max and is is 100% perfect. Especially where the glass and the stainless steel meet (especially on the back), my Pro Max is perfect in a way where the back glass and stainless steel meet is very smooth like that you would feel on the 6/6S/7, like a single piece aluminum.

I've had to return a bunch of X and XS Max because ones that I have gotten, there were always rough edges from the back glass and the stainless steel, and if I remember correctly, that is not how Apple advertised it.

But now that I've found a very smooth edge on back glass and the stainless steel, this one is definitely a keeper.

Comment

brianmoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Luckily for me, I received my Pro Max and is is 100% perfect. Especially where the glass and the stainless steel meet (especially on the back), my Pro Max is perfect in a way where the back glass and stainless steel meet is very smooth like that you would feel on the 6/6S/7, like a single piece aluminum.

I've had to return a bunch of X and XS Max because ones that I have gotten, there were always rough edges from the back glass and the stainless steel, and if I remember correctly, that is not how Apple advertised it.

But now that I've found a very smooth edge on back glass and the stainless steel, this one is definitely a keeper.
consider yourself lucky. half the phones i looked at at the store were very sharp on the edges.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
This exact same thing happened last year with the iPhone XS. If you have ‘sharp edges’, take it back, Apple will exchange the phone if you’re within your the 14 day return period or accept a warranty device. The problem is, the sharp edges is caused by the casing that doesn’t meet flush completely against the glass display.

Comment

AndyDandy1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2018
This exact same thing happened last year with the iPhone XS. If you have ‘sharp edges’, take it back, Apple will exchange the phone if you’re within your the 14 day return period or accept a warranty device. The problem is, the sharp edges is caused by the casing that doesn’t meet flush completely against the glass display.

Can this cause any issues if you don't exchange this phone and keep it?

Comment

zakarhino

macrumors demi-god
Sep 13, 2014
Berkeley
Yep, I had this same issue on my XS Max. The metal and glass back panel weren't flush on the bottom right of the phone and it used to dig into my hand a little. I got used to it and didn't bother to exchange it. I would recommend exchanging your phone ASAP if it's causing discomfort.

Comment

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I had an edge problem that I have never seen before, and no one at the Apple store had either. While the edge of the metal surrounding the screen was flat to the touch, it looked like it had been beat up before painting or coating! Really distracting in the right (or wrong?) lighting. Luckily, they hold a few phones in reserve and I actually got a replacement on the spot.

Comment

Rawand Al Kadi

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2020
Last year, had the same issue with the xs max, simply what i did was with the old credit/debit or any plastic card, I ran it over the edges to smooth it out and pretty much did the job. I think it's the black rubber gasket that isn't quite adhered to the edge of the screen.

*At your own risk though please.

Did just that with my new iPhone Pro Max with an old credit card and it smoothed out perfectly, thanks man

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.