Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I ended up opting for an express replacement on the grounds of a “faulty haptic engine.” I will update when I receive the new phone.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
Hey everyone, wanted to post an update. Received my replacement iPhone 11 today and it does NOT have the haptic clicking on iOS 13.3.

I did purchase my original iPhone on release, so perhaps it is an issue with a certain batch of devices? Very strange...

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Hey everyone, wanted to post an update. Received my replacement iPhone 11 today and it does NOT have the haptic clicking on iOS 13.3.

I did purchase my original iPhone on release, so perhaps it is an issue with a certain batch of devices? Very strange...

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it's been difficult for me to get the genius to even take me seriously, much alone give me a replacement. ?‍♂️

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I went to two different apple stores, and the best I got was that they would replace the haptic engine to “satisfy me” (actual words).
Later that night I called applecare and set up an Express Replacement. New phone sent to me and sending defective phone back. I highly recommend it.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I went to two different apple stores, and the best I got was that they would replace the haptic engine to “satisfy me” (actual words).
Later that night I called applecare and set up an Express Replacement. New phone sent to me and sending defective phone back. I highly recommend it.

Good to know, Let us know if the problem starts occurring again.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
Good to know, Let us know if the problem starts occurring again.

So after two days with the phone, the issue persists. However, it is only 100% reproducible by triggering quick haptic responses in succession (ie. volume slider min to max, vice versa). It is also very quiet; I have to put the phone near my ear to hear it, and it cannot be heard in normal noise levels.

It is strange because my previous phone was clicking on ANY haptic response, and it was very loud. It could clearly be heard in a normal room environment. Perhaps I was very unlucky and received A defective replacement.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
So after two days with the phone, the issue persists. However, it is only 100% reproducible by triggering quick haptic responses in succession (ie. volume slider min to max, vice versa). It is also very quiet; I have to put the phone near my ear to hear it, and it cannot be heard in normal noise levels.

It is strange because my previous phone was clicking on ANY haptic response, and it was very loud. It could clearly be heard in a normal room environment. Perhaps I was very unlucky and received A defective replacement.
In my opinion every phone is affected, I received couple of replacements and its the same, issue is still there just the intensitiy from phone to phone is different. On some its less noticeable.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I don't think its worth the effort going through new replacements if they're all eventually exhibiting the same problem in one variation or the other. You have more chance of getting some other defect (dust under camera, uneven/yellow screens etc.) I think we just have to wait to see if it can be solved by a software fix.

Reactions: aldenh

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I don't think its worth the effort going through new replacements if they're all eventually exhibiting the same problem in one variation or the other. You have a better chance of getting some other defect (dust under camera, scratched screens etc.) I think we just have to wait to see if it can be solved by a software fix.
Yes, Im hoping its just a software thing. Lets wait for iOS 13.3.1

Dayley28

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2019
Mines does this but not always. For example when changing the volume with the slider or pressing buttons in the control centre it makes a slight click. I am on an iPhone 11 Pro non max. Can’t say I ever noticed it until last night which is strange. It must be software as it’s not always done it, then again I’m not sure if I just never noticed. Mine does the small ‘click’ when swiping up from home (but only when swiping half way to close apps) selecting buttons in control centre and changing volume in CC. Weirdly, when I go to disable system haptics in settings, it doesn’t seem to take much effect. And when I turn off system haptics then restart my device, the system haptics toggle turns itself on again. This is why I am lead to believe it’s a software issue 100%. All we can do is report the bug to Apple and hope they fix it as it’s quite annoying but nothing I’d loose sleep over.

The Carny

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
My (standard) iPhone 11 has started doing this over the last couple of days. I don’t buy AppleCare for my phones and I’m not sure I can face what would doubtless be a battle of wills with an incredulous Apple Store employee, so I'll just try to get used to it, but it’s annoying. Not sure whether it’s a software issue that has just been 'triggered' on my phone, but it persists in the current 13.3.1 beta.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
My phone (iPhone 11) has started doing this during the last couple of days. I don’t buy AppleCare for my phones and I’m not sure I can face what would be an inevitable battle of wills with an incredulous Apple Store employee, so I might just try to get used to it, but it’s annoying. Not sure whether it’s a software issue that has just been 'triggered' on my phone, but it persists in the current 13.3.1 beta.

Replacement likely won't help. There are others in this thread that have gone through them and had the problem occur few days later. My best guess its a defect with the iPhone 11 series hardware that is exacerbated by a bug in the software.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Having the same issues with my iPhone 11.

really annoying. Hope that Apple will solve it in near future.

mrgonzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
I also have this problem - Constantly scrolling the ribbon in the browser I hear this crazy click, unbearable! What is known by the decision of apple? When to wait for a fix? 4 months have passed and most have a problem, just many people don’t hear it.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
I don’t think it’s gonna get fixed soon especially since a lot of people can’t notice it. Probably a very low priority.

Cadapter

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
For what it is worth, I have had my replacement 11 for three weeks now and no longer have the clicking. Apole replaced it under warrenty through their express replacement program.
I have a feeling there may have been a bad batch of 11’s around launch. Maybe...

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
For what it is worth, I have had my replacement 11 for three weeks now and no longer have the clicking. Apole replaced it under warrenty through their express replacement program.
I have a feeling there may have been a bad batch of 11’s around launch. Maybe...
It’s not iPhone 11 only. Also the Pro line does have it.

so a Software fault?!

airtonvfilho

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
Guys im taking my phone to an Authorized Support tomorrow, im really worried that they will not replace my phone

mrgonzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2020
I think this is a defective party, because when you turn the phone horizontally, the click sounds louder and from the vibration it can become quiet again

MDM7

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
Hey guys I have experienced the weirdest thing with my Iphone 11 regarding this issue. My phone started to make the clicking noise sometime around mid December. The whole clicking issue then persisted for like an entire month and all of sudden the problem was gone, no clicking noise or vibration, nothing anymore. That was around two or three weeks ago and I was really happy because I thought it just fixed itself. But then yesterday I had an office meeting and so I turned my phone off. Which I hadn’t done in weeks. And since I turned it on again after the meeting it started to make the click again after it was entirely gone for weeks just because of the restart. This is just the weirdest thing imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.