iPhone 11 Pro iPhone 11 Pro Max vs iPhone XS Max photo comparison (unedited, straight from camera).

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Great pictures! I’m also going from XS Max to Pro Max this year. Are you happy with the upgrade to your Pro Max?

seanwes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Great pictures! I’m also going from XS Max to Pro Max this year. Are you happy with the upgrade to your Pro Max?
Just got it in the mail a few hours ago, so it's early. :)

Is this a totally needed upgrade? No, the last phone was, and is, still awesome.

For instance, I took this pano with the iPhone XS Max a couple week ago in Kauai:

IMG_8666.JPG

That's insane for a phone!!

I really only upgraded because I like having the latest and best cameras.

Also, maybe I just shoot too much 4K 60 video, but I really hammer the XS Max battery and end up having to charge it with a battery backup when I'm out on shoots. So the bigger battery on 11 Pro Max is a welcome improvement.

So far, Face ID does seem faster, but

1. It doesn't seem to be better at more angles in my experience. I was hoping to be able to unlock it while flat on my desk. Not even close. Seems exactly the same to me.
  2. This is the first time I'm using iOS 13 (on the 11 Pro), and I hear that iOS 13 already brings speed improvements to Face ID, so I'm not really sure how different it is.
I will say to my eyes, the screen is noticeably brighter AND more vivid (greens, oranges) on the 11 Pro than the XS, which I like a lot.

That's about all I can say a few hours in at this point.

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Just got it in the mail a few hours ago, so it's early. :)

Is this a totally needed upgrade? No, the last phone was, and is, still awesome.

For instance, I took this pano with the iPhone XS Max a couple week ago in Kauai:

View attachment 861319

That's insane for a phone!!

I really only upgraded because I like having the latest and best cameras.

Also, maybe I just shoot too much 4K 60 video, but I really hammer the XS Max battery and end up having to charge it with a battery backup when I'm out on shoots. So the bigger battery on 11 Pro Max is a welcome improvement.

So far, Face ID does seem faster, but

1. It doesn't seem to be better at more angles in my experience. I was hoping to be able to unlock it while flat on my desk. Not even close. Seems exactly the same to me.
  2. This is the first time I'm using iOS 13 (on the 11 Pro), and I hear that iOS 13 already brings speed improvements to Face ID, so I'm not really sure how different it is.
I will say to my eyes, the screen is noticeably brighter AND more vivid (greens, oranges) on the 11 Pro than the XS, which I like a lot.

That's about all I can say a few hours in at this point.
Awesome, I’m in the same boat I love my XS Max so do I need to upgrade no. Do I want to, yup. If I’m paying monthly, may as well be the newest model.