iPhone 11 Pro Telephoto lens

daynoock

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
So I’ve been using the Pro Max for a while now and I knew older iPhones would only activate certain cameras depending on light, I didn’t realise it was still the case with this one but it is.

So it seems indoors if you select the telephoto lens it actually just zooms in the wide angle lens.. I haven’t been able to find much about it on here, I assume it’s not an issue with mine and everyone’s is the same and there’s no way of fully controlling which lens you want?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
So I’ve been using the Pro Max for a while now and I knew older iPhones would only activate certain cameras depending on light, I didn’t realise it was still the case with this one but it is.

So it seems indoors if you select the telephoto lens it actually just zooms in the wide angle lens.. I haven’t been able to find much about it on here, I assume it’s not an issue with mine and everyone’s is the same and there’s no way of fully controlling which lens you want?
When you select 2x, it doesn’t mean “select the 50mm lens,” so depending on available light it will pick the 1x lens. (Note that the 50mm lens is not actually telephoto),

Anyway, the issue is that the aperture of the 2x lens is smaller, so it doesn’t do well in less light. If there isn’t enough light, the phone then has to use the 1x lens.

There are third-party apps that give you more control, but you’ll generally find that the choices made by the built-in photo app are pretty reasonable.

Reactions: daynoock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.