iPhone 11 iPhone 11 SOOC Better than Fujifilm X100?

bsamcash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Cupertino, CA
So I may finally have a camera to supplant my trusty old X100 (bayer). I've always loved the X100 because of its beautiful JPEG engine. But after a cruise down 17 Mile Drive with my fiancee, I may have a new favorite. Other than the obvious FOV difference, the HEIC straight out of the camera app in the iPhone 11 has more dynamic range, clarity, and is sharper. At least in good lighting.

I had to convert the HEIC to JPEG to upload, but EXIF data should still be intact. What do you think?

iPhone 11
IMG_0460.jpg

X100
DSCF0704.JPG

iPhone 11
IMG_0461.jpg

X100
DSCF0705.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
From my very untrained eye and someone who knows nothing about cameras or photography..so take this as my opinion only.

The iPhone seems to produce a sharper image. The X100 images seems to have applied a smoothing effect. The colors are darker on the x100 with less of range of colors.

To my untrained eye I prefer the iPhone image.

Reactions: bsamcash

upintheclouds

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I know you are comparing the resolution between the X100 and the iPhone. All I can contribute is that I prefer the X100(f) for the film simulation modes and the ability to change the shutter, aperture, iso immediately. In my honest opinion, digital cameras are so close to one another these days as far as resolution and quality goes. Happy shooting!

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

jay968

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
California
What you're seeing is the difference in the in camera processing between the two cameras. To an untrained eye, the iphone images may look sharper and have more vibrance. In reality, what the iphone does is boost the digital sharpness, the color and the contrast to make it look more attractive. However, once the Fuji image is imported into a program such as Photoshop, it has a lot more capability of being made to look better. It's akin to seeing a TV set in a store set to demo mode (which boosts contrast, sharpness and saturation) and comparing it to one with the demo mode turned off where the screen will look dull and somewhat lifeless in comparison until it's professionally calibrated. Once it is, it can look far better.

bsamcash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Cupertino, CA
What you're seeing is the difference in the in camera processing between the two cameras. To an untrained eye, the iphone images may look sharper and have more vibrance. In reality, what the iphone does is boost the digital sharpness, the color and the contrast to make it look more attractive. However, once the Fuji image is imported into a program such as Photoshop, it has a lot more capability of being made to look better. It's akin to seeing a TV set in a store set to demo mode (which boosts contrast, sharpness and saturation) and comparing it to one with the demo mode turned off where the screen will look dull and somewhat lifeless in comparison until it's professionally calibrated. Once it is, it can look far better.
No doubt about that. And I phone can’t touch the X100 raws. I just thought it was interesting how far JPEG processing has come.

zachdog

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
The X100 has much better detail. Yes, the iPhone has software that makes the image "pop," but there's not as much there after zooming in. Take a look at the rocks. The X100 has detail. The iPhone has artificially sharpened textures.

Most people won't use RAW or Photoshop. The iPhone is a great camera for the masses.

I use a Nikon D7200 for landscapes and portraits. It produces really special images. My iPhone is with me every day and is superb for casual shots. Both are quite good!

jay968

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2019
California
Definitely agree. Even as a pro photographer, I was amazed when I first saw the results from the 11 Pro Max. And I used to think my Pixel did a good job.

Reactions: bsamcash

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
So I may finally have a camera to supplant my trusty old X100 (bayer). I've always loved the X100 because of its beautiful JPEG engine. But after a cruise down 17 Mile Drive with my fiancee, I may have a new favorite. Other than the obvious FOV difference, the HEIC straight out of the camera app in the iPhone 11 has more dynamic range, clarity, and is sharper. At least in good lighting.

I had to convert the HEIC to JPEG to upload, but EXIF data should still be intact. What do you think?

iPhone 11
View attachment 892884

X100
View attachment 892885

iPhone 11
View attachment 892886

X100
View attachment 892887
they both render greens very differently. which one is more true to life?

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
they both render greens very differently. which one is more true to life?
It would be hard to say, since everyone sees color differently.
Also I’m reason sure that the vast majority of people here do not view the photos on a color calibrated monitor anyway, so the same photo viewed on different devices will look differently.
One simply selects what pleases them the most when viewed on their device(s).
Cheers :)
- - Post merged: - -

The cellphone photos are over sharpened, which is typically of the vast majority of cell phones. They look “crispy” and “crunchy“ which is signs of over sharpening. The Fuji photos are less so. It’s especially visible in the 2nd group of photos.
The only thing I use a cell phone camera for anymore is quick snaps of things I need to remember for a while (like the price of something, etc).

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It would be hard to say, since everyone sees color differently.
Also I’m reason sure that the vast majority of people here do not view the photos on a color calibrated monitor anyway, so the same photo viewed on different devices will look differently.
One simply selects what pleases them the most when viewed on their device(s).
- - Post merged: - -

The cellphone photos are over sharpened, which is typically of the vast majority of cell phones. They look “crispy” and “crunchy“ which is signs of over sharpening. The Fuji photos are less so. It’s especially visible in the 2nd group of photos.
The only thing I use a cell phone camera for anymore is quick snaps of things I need to remember for a while (like the price of something, etc).

well OP took the photos on the iphone which has a pretty well calibrated screen. He was also there in real life when he took the photo, so he would do a pretty decent job on deciding which camera captured the greens more true to life.

I think calibration is a bit less of an issue in macrumors given that iphones, ipads and macbooks are all very well calibrated nowadays.

bsamcash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Cupertino, CA
The iPhone will be more true to life due to the Fujifilm film simulation color profiles. I was using Velvia here which it not known for its accuracy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.