Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Just wanted to see if I should reconsider this purchase. I recently got a brand new iphone 11 from Apple to replace my mother’s iphone 6. At this price point ($500) I couldn‘t find anything used that’s newer. I also had some bad experiences in the past buying used online so wanted her to have a good phone with a good battery and perfect screen. She wanted the larger screen so that she can see it better, so the SE smaller screen wasn’t an option. How many years of updates are still left for the iPhone 11? Hoping for at least 5 more. Wondering if I made a mistake buying this two year old phone.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Given the same set of criteria, it's what I would have bought. It will be a terrific phone for years to come, and is good value in my view.
How many years of updates are still left for the iPhone 11? Hoping for at least 5 more.
Probably something like that. No one knows the future, but that would fit with a fairly longstanding pattern. Even when the phone stops supporting the latest version of iOS, it doesn't instantly become useless: there is at least another year or two after that before apps stop supporting the older OS.

Reactions: Danae02

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Given the same set of criteria, it's what I would have bought. It will be a terrific phone for years to come, and is good value in my view.

Probably something like that. No one knows the future, but that would fit with a fairly longstanding pattern. Even when the phone stops supporting the latest version of iOS, it doesn't instantly become useless: there is at least another year or two after that before apps stop supporting the older OS.
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I guess I was going through the post-purchase questioning phase haha. My husband showed me this iphone 13 on eBay that was about $600 but I am a bit squeamish about eBay phones. It also had to be unlocked.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
iPhone 11 is still a fantastic phone with plenty of support left. The iPad 9 just came out late last year with the same A13 chip, so it’s got many years of updates to come, especially considering the iPhone 11 has more ram than the iPad 9.

Our 13 year old has the 11 and been a great phone and great battery life

Danae02

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
So update- and definitely the right choice at this price now: iPhone 11 is on sale at $299 at TotalWireless. With a $25 plan and taxes it’s $349- for the same phone. I cancelled the Apple order and will put the $175 in savings towards an ipad for my mom for Christmas this year :)

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
When I upgraded from the 11 Pro Max to the 13 Pro Max my wife gave herself an upgrade too, from her regular iPhone 7 to my pristine 11 PM. Flawless operation and she's thrilled with it, especially the battery life and larger screen. We're not as young as we used to be and she really appreciates the extra screen size now. She pooh-poohed the larger size iPhones but once she used it it took her about a minute to fall in love with the Pro Max.

If the price is right, I say the 11 is compelling upgrade for the 8 or earlier. Pro Max or regular, there are enough improvements to make it worth the upgrade.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
So update- and definitely the right choice at this price now: iPhone 11 is on sale at $299 at TotalWireless. With a $25 plan and taxes it’s $349- for the same phone. I cancelled the Apple order and will put the $175 in savings towards an ipad for my mom for Christmas this year :)
Awesome deal, she’ll love it

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wondering if I made a mistake buying this two year old phone.
My wife and I bought the iPhone 11 Pro Max last year (February 2021). We still have about ten payments left with our carrier. Our previous phones were the Google Pixel 3a XL which we had for about a year. Before that was the iPhone 6s and 6s+ for six years. I still have my 6s+ (and several iPhones before that) and use it every morning when I go walking.

My daughter (13) has my wife's 6s.

I've found the 11 PM to be just fine. One of the selling points for me was that it's LTE, no 5G. I've been a carrier upgrade guinea pig before so I'm sitting out the 5G upgrade until its settled down like LTE is now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Our 13 year old has the 11 and been a great phone and great battery life
My daughter (14 in June) has my wife's old 6s. My son has had the SE (2016) and now the SE (2020). The disparity is because my son treats his stuff well. My daughter does…not.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I love this thread -- it focuses on the iPhone longevity. A person pays a thousand dollars for a new iPhone and it will last a relatively long time, especially compared to other smartphones. This thread shows that even buying an older iPhone for much less than a $grand$ can produce the same result. I just spent $800 for my 13 Standard which, if I choose, can last several years. Looking at it that way, it really is a good financial decision to go iPhone instead of Undroid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.