Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeAniel28

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Wanna change phone this month but is the ip 11 an upgrade or a downgrade from my current 8 plus?

can't afford 11 pro or pro max and i don't like OLED ( might burn in )

SterlingElle

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
Torino, Italy
Just curious what people think but that resolution bothers me. but i guess i wont notice the difference eh?
to be honest, iphone 11 is not the best choice, would personally advise you to go for the X-family if you don't want to buy the 11 PRO
If you search on yt you can see a lot of comparisons and ppl are very dissapointed ab 11 compared to others!

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
to be honest, iphone 11 is not the best choice, would personally advise you to go for the X-family if you don't want to buy the 11 PRO
If you search on yt you can see a lot of comparisons and ppl are very dissapointed ab 11 compared to others!

X-family? Didn't understand the rest of your post.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Wanna change phone this month but is the ip 11 an upgrade or a downgrade from my current 8 plus?

can't afford 11 pro or pro max and i don't like OLED ( might burn in )

It’s an upgrade overall (faster, better camera and battery life), but you get a slightly worse screen. I am still holding on to my 8+ for that reason. The 11 pro max was too expensive and the 11 didn’t feel like a significant enough upgrade.

The 8+ still works fine, though battery life is a little short, and I am working around that by leaving low power mode on 24/7.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It’s an upgrade overall (faster, better camera and battery life), but you get a slightly worse screen. I am still holding on to my 8+ for that reason. The 11 pro max was too expensive and the 11 didn’t feel like a significant enough upgrade.

The 8+ still works fine, though battery life is a little short, and I am working around that by leaving low power mode on 24/7.

So the iPhone 11 would be a significant upgrade over your phone that doesn't work properly. Low power mode effectively stops many processes from running, including fetching of mail. And you run this 24/7?

Reactions: rdy0329

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I managed well in my few days with the 11 when coming from an 8+. The screen seemed fine to me.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I have an 11, and the screen is just fine to me. If the resolution on the 11 bothers you, you can always get a used X series on Swappa.
I would just keep the 8 plus if I were you, it should still be working good.

DeAniel28

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
I have an 11, and the screen is just fine to me. If the resolution on the 11 bothers you, you can always get a used X series on Swappa.
I would just keep the 8 plus if I were you, it should still be working good.
It does yeah im at 82% battery but the design is kinda getting boring to me now.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Literally the every review and folks who owns the 11 would say otherwise

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So the iPhone 11 would be a significant upgrade over your phone that doesn't work properly. Low power mode effectively stops many processes from running, including fetching of mail. And you run this 24/7?

To be honest, I used to scoff at some of my colleagues who did this, for the exact same reasons that you cited here. But after I tried it (more out of desperation one day), I realised that it hasn’t really impacted my usage all that much.

Low power mode supposedly slows down the processor, but my apps still run fine, and while I might find that an app here and there seems to open a tad slower, everything is still quite smooth and speedy overall. I am okay with iCloud Photo Library syncing only when I plug in my phone to charge overnight as well.

I am using the stock mail app, which doesn’t support push mail anyways, so it’s no real loss. Push notifications still come in, and the only real irritation is that my screen dims more quickly than usual.

Beforehand, I used to have to recharge my phone once in the middle of the day, but now with low power mode on, I can end the day at around 30-40% comfortably.

Holding on to my 8+ has also allowed me to wean myself off my two-year carrier contract and move to a postpaid data plan which has resulted in fairly significant savings in my phone bill every month as well.

I guess it helps that I got a series 5 Apple Watch last year, which has offloaded some tasks from my Apple Watch. I also use my 2018 iPad Pro a fair deal for work and leisure, so I don’t feel like I have lost out much from not getting the latest iphone.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I am using the stock mail app, which doesn’t support push mail anyways

I've been using 4 exchange accounts on my devices for years with the stock email app which have always been push. My iCloud email account is push as well.

I still use Gmail with Push as well via Nuevasync on the native mail app which allows me to set it up as an exchange account.

So the stock mail app has always supported push.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I've been using 4 exchange accounts on my devices for years with the stock email app which have always been push. My iCloud email account is push as well.

I still use Gmail with Push as well via Nuevasync on the native mail app which allows me to set it up as an exchange account.

So the stock mail app has always supported push.

I use a couple of gmail accounts, two of which are now defunct work accounts. My personal gmail account is mostly ads from the various accounts I signed up with it and I don’t really need to be notified of them.

My main work email account is accessed through the gmail app, which is the only app that works with it due to some weird arrangement by my employer.

In short, I get push email through the gmail app and I don’t really need push notifications for my personal email, and this arrangement is working fine for me.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

Can't say that I've seen one legitimate reviewer that was disappointed by the iPhone 11. The 11 is a great phone at a very competitive price point.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Just curious what people think but that resolution bothers me. but i guess i wont notice the difference eh?

I think you will notice it initially but after a few days you’ll get used to the 11 screen. It’s still a fantastic screen don’t let the resolution turn you off it. It’s probably the best LCD on the market aside from the 8 plus’s screen.

I think if you *want* a new phone, the 11 is a great option and will overall feel like an upgrade from your 8 plus

but that said, why do you want to upgrade? The 8 plus is still very fast and capable today

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I would never swap an 8 Plus for an 11. At this point, CPU speed isn't an issue- they're both fast. The 11 brings little advancement (camera) but at the cost of that yucky small screen
have to disagree here, i upgraded from 8 plus to 11, the screen is taller but not smaller imo. the camera is a HUGE upgrade, especially if you do alot of night time photography, the wide angle is very nice when too often you can't back up enough to get everything in the shot.

Reactions: ericwn

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I went from the 8 Plus to the 11 and hated it. I could tell the resolution drop, didn’t like the taller/narrow aspect ratio, etc. I enjoyed the camera but that was it. That’s the thing with asking on the forums. 20 people will give you 20 different opinions. Millions love the 11 so certainly don’t get hung up on my take. The $900+ price after tax for a 256gb 11 in no way could I justify over my 8 Plus. Yet I absolutely was able to justify $1300+ for the 256gb Pro Max. It checked all the boxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.