iPhone XS Max iPhone 11 w/Potential Larger Battery, why not have AOD?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LS3 POWER, Jul 30, 2019.

1. LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

I am really surprised that with Apple adopting Dark Mode, Swipe to text, etc from Android, I was really hoping especially for the OLED phones the Always On Display feature. Especially with with the iPhone 11 getting a larger battery (Even though AOD uses minimal power on OLED anyways). Was hoping iOS 13 would have added that.

2. Thai Suspended

Thai

That’s why you have Apple Watch.... :D

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

Always on still uses some power and probably the number one gripe people have w iPhones is battery life

4. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

lol, I know I have the Apple Watch, and some days I wear my Samsung Gear watch for the days I want a real looking watch with real watch face choices (Which Im wearing today, and that even has a AOD display lol) but its nice when your phone is sitting in front of you and you dont have to pick it up and activate the screen to look at certain things (Which turning on the screen uses more battery than AOD, just saying lol)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2019 ---
    It does use power, but on a OLED phone its minimal and with the next iPhone rumored to have a bigger battery and reverse charging, AOD would not make a real dent in that.

5. preston66002425 macrumors member

Apple just don't want to be a copy cat!!!!

6. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Then iOS13 shouldn't exist lol

7. KOTN91 macrumors regular

Maybe because an always on display is not only a completely pointless stupid gimmick, but actually a negative thing. It epitomises android and Samsung perfectly

8. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

AOD will probably be one of those features only available on new iPhones, to encourage buying a new device.

9. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I'm of the opinion they don't implement it because they assume most leave raise to wake on, so by the time you've picked up your phone/ taken it out of your pocket to check the display will be on and you can see any info you need there on the lock screen.

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

The point of AoD is so you don't have to touch your phone to know if you have waiting notifications though (or to check the time).

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I don't want an Apple watch. Don't like them, don't care for them.

You're right, in that this is Apple's answer to this. But I'm not paying extra for that answer. I'll just go and pick up my device and light the display.
    And the response always given to this (and a LED notification light) is "Just pick up your phone and light the screen, what's so hard about that?"

Which of course doesn't ever address the issue.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I know I would not be true for all but always on screen is nothing but a waste of power.

Apple does not need or want to follow Android. They are not even an option.

13. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

So it's marginally more useful for times when the phone is sat under your chin on the desk? When you'll probably have the time on your computer screen in front of you, and will probably have heard the phone vibrate if you had a notification? In this scenario, why not just pick it up and look? Or press the home/lock button/ on the X/S/Max/R just tap the screen.

14. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Yet, tap to wake exists. It's a situation where Apple doesn't intend the user to pick up the phone. And when the user may have missed a notification.

It's difficult to explain why tap to wake exists, but AOD is missing.

15. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Changing user habit aside, based on what I see on iPad Pro screen lag with True Tone and night shift while scrolling webpages with certain fonts, I think other than trying to not look too much like Android, Apple find the way they are utilising screen right now wont give them the room for AOD.
    Speaking of iPad Pro screen lag, basically, if you turn on both True Tone and night shift, and browse this page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lic...windows10?activetab=windows10-pivot:primaryr3), you will notice a significant trail after “Unique software assurance benefits”.

16. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I have to disagree here.

Yes, AOD uses more power. Marginally more. Not significantly more. And not enough to make any real difference in how you use your device.

Both my wife and I have Pixel 3a XLs and AOD hasn't caused any significant battery drain.

17. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

And we're off!

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just do not see a point in it for me. But I know others will like.

I do not see it happening on the next batch of new iPhones but maybe in the future.

19. LS3 POWER thread starter macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

Years back I decided to make the jump from Apple to Samsung and pre ordered the Note 7, well we know how that went lol, so I had to buy a iPhone after that, but the few weeks I had the Note 7, I absolutely loved the AOD feature.

20. Thai Suspended

Thai

Funny how Android Q is also just like iOS of old...getting more and more restrictive and more walled.
    I think that Note 10 is calling your name. It’s a wonderful device...and Galaxy Watch is a REAL looking watch with watch faces.

Sorry, i cannot write all that with a straight face...LOL

This thread is turning into a nice laugh on a Tuesday afternoon....
    Then why are you here on an iPhone site? You just got the Pixel 3a already! Buyer’s remorse? Too early dude. You’re still in honeymoon phase! Buy the Pixel Watch...i hear that they are da bomb! Oh wait, it will never happen because Android Wear is where smartwatches go to die.

Again...why are you here when you just got Pixel? It’s THAT bad already? Yikes!

21. eyoungren, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Because the Pixel isn't why I'm here.

All I said was I don't like the watch and I don't like that it's Apple's solution. I don't agree with Apple that to solve 'X' problem - spend more money.

It doesn't mean I hate Apple or any of the many Apple products I own - particularly, of the seven iPhones at home, the four I own personally.

22. ziyuel macrumors member

Apple never wants to have the technology that Samsung had for a while

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

iPhones don’t potentially need bigger batteries, they need more efficient ways of managing the battery. The result with a ‘bigger’ battery that you implement in the phone, the heavier/thicker the phone becomes (I.e XR would be an example of this). What I would like to see, possibly infuse the modem into the S.O.C. [System on a Chip].

24. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

As long as it can be disabled.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

On the galaxy note you can pin notes to the always on display. It could be a reminder or a shopping list. Not having to keep your phone unlocked and being able to see your shopping list right there on the lock screen is useful imo.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    OLED? Wireless PowerShare? Wide Angle lens? Dark mode? Swipe keyboard?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2019 ---
    I kind of agree with you here. I have an Apple Watch and use it for different reasons, not as an AOD but you shouldn’t have to spend more money to solve problems, especially when competitors are offering a solution at no extra cost.