Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the iPhone 11 come in a new “Rainbow” Titanium finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
So, there’s been this rumor that the new iPhone will have a “rainbow” apple logo but it doesn’t seem likely right? However, there may be some truth to this rumor.

So, we know the Apple Card is made of Titanium which is a new materiel not seen before in their products. Just a few days ago, there was a rumor that the Apple Watch would now use Ceramic and Titanium casings. So what if the new iPhone were to come in a new Titanium finish as well?

How does this relate to the “rainbow” rumor? Well, Apple has a history of anodizing Aluminum for their iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches. But when you anodize Titanium, depending on the voltage, it colors the metal. So could Apple be using Anodized Titanium to give their new iPhone a new style? What do you think?

delta0

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2018
London
Potentially a titanium insert for the logo. I know what you mean if you were to make the logo rainbow and out of metal then titanium would work well.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, not even close. There won’t be a titanium iPhone whatsoever. Also, if I am somewhat accurate here, I believe titanium would also be a hindrance to the wireless charging feature, which is why Apple migrated to glass in the first place.

Side note:

Now, titanium as an Apple Watch material used, that I could see likely, along side a black/white ceramic casing material offered as well.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Ti makes sense for the Watch because of its corrosion resistance and biocompatibility. For iPhone, I'm not sure the same marketing message will resonate. It's a new material for Apple but are there any benefits vs. the cost?

fmenard

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2005
Daytona Beach, FL
I said no because of the considerable cost involved in the machining of titanium. Apple has been so adamant about cost containment that I can't see them going this route.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
You may think it’s overrated, but most would disagree. The loss of wireless charging would be a bummer for a large majority.
Yea it's nice for at night so I don't have to find the cord and I don't need it to charge fast then. I do wish it could be more efficient in general though.

Reactions: Kmart9419

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wait, why would titanium make it impossible for wireless charging?

I mentioned this in my previous post, titanium will interfere with wireless charging though the chassis, it won’t work. It interferes with the transfer of magnetic energy with the metal composition, hence why glass was integrated with the iPhone 8 moving forward when wireless charging was introduced.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I mentioned this in my previous post, titanium will interfere with wireless charging though the chassis, it won’t work. It interferes with the transfer of magnetic energy with the metal composition, hence why glass was integrated with the iPhone 8 moving forward when wireless charging was introduced.
You know the iPhone X has a stainless steel frame (which is metal) and has no problem with wireless charging despite it containing iron.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You know the iPhone X has a stainless steel frame (which is metal) and has no problem with wireless charging despite it containing iron.

You’re not understanding how electromagnetic induction operates. A titanium outer shell would easily refract the magnetic energy transferred to the receiver, thus the electromagnetic field can’t convert the energy into the battery.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
You’re not understanding how electromagnetic induction operates. A titanium outer shell would easily refract the magnetic energy transferred to the receiver, thus the electromagnetic field can’t convert the energy into the battery.
Okay, then please make me understand. Why is it that the iPhone Xs and iPhone 8 have steel and aluminium frames and be capable of wireless charging, but a similar iPhone with a titanium frame would not? What properties does titanium have that would interfere with the magnetic field generated between the alternating current in the charging unit and the coil in the back of the phone?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Okay, then please make me understand. Why is it that the iPhone Xs and iPhone 8 have steel and aluminium frames and be capable of wireless charging, but a similar iPhone with a titanium frame would not?

Apple used a glass outer shell, which doesn’t interfere with the wireless magnetic energy. The contact point in which the magnetic charger transfers the energy needs to be a two-way window where the energy can be exchanged to the receiver, a titanium shell or metal shell for that matter, would refract that energy from being transferred successfully to the receiver, because metal has properties that block/interfere with the energy transfer. (Which also uses the induction coil to draw the energy). If metal, titanium or any type of metal for that matter that, then why would an Apple use that in place of glass? Glass as I mentioned, allows for two way interchanging, where the outer shell would bounce the magnetic energy away.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
So, we know the Apple Card is made of Titanium which is a new materiel not seen before in their products.

PowerBook G4 “titanium” (2001-2006):

IMG_2479.JPG

Reactions: andy89

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Apple used a glass outer shell, which doesn’t interfere with the wireless magnetic energy. The contact point in which the magnetic charger transfers the energy needs to be a two-way window where the energy can be exchanged to the receiver, a titanium shell or metal shell for that matter, would refract that energy from being transferred successfully to the receiver, because metal has properties that block/interfere with the energy transfer. (Which also uses the induction coil to draw the energy). If metal, titanium or any type of metal for that matter that, then why would an Apple use that in place of glass? Glass as I mentioned, allows for two way interchanging, where the outer shell would bounce the magnetic energy away.
Okay, I think you're misinterpreting the hypothetical iPhone as being one where the entirety of the phone is wrapped in titanium, which I don't think is the case. If it were, it would not only make wireless charging difficult (impossible with the current technology manufacturers are using), but also interfere with the wireless communication radios as well.

I'm pretty sure what we're talking about is an iPhone with a titanium frame, but with a glass back to facilitate wireless charging, which I don't think is impossible to do if the reports of a titanium Apple Watch are to be believed, since Apple would definitely never remove the wireless charging capability from the Apple Watch. In which case, there's no reason why Apple would not physically be able to make an iPhone with a titanium frame.

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
No. Will lose wireless charging. So won’t happen. Would love to go back to aluminum for weight and durability. Wireless charging is way overrated.
Not implausible - look at the ‘new’ design of the iPads, that echos back to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5/SE designs. The surrounding frame could well be fashioned of Titanium, sandwiched between two slabs of glass - this will still providing wireless charging (which I agree is overrated), while providing a stronger frame akin to the original steel frame of the iPhone 4 (that was also sandwiched between two glass slabs, as you might recall).

It also bears noting that the person currently in charge of product is Jeff Williams, who really likes and drove the iPhone 4 design, and whose influence can be seen in the current iPads.

Furthermore, there appears to be some sort of ‘culling’ going on, to eliminate the visual influence of departing Execs (remember that iOS 7 happened because Scott Forstall was fired, so I suspect the same thing to happen now that Jony Ive got fired).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
which I don't think is impossible to do if the reports of a titanium Apple Watch are to be believed, since Apple would definitely never remove the wireless charging capability from the Apple Watch.

You definitely don’t understand the wireless charging concept based off this post. The metal casing used on the Apple Watch surrounds the display, but does _not_ have any interference with the transfer of energy due to the rear cutout (Which is ceramic FYI for the Series 4 on the rear), the charging puck transfers the energy through the glass, which the casing, Rather it be the 7000 Aluminum Or 316 L stainless doesn’t enclose that specific area where the sensors/charging puck attaches, hence the transfer of Elecro-magnetic energy. It’s the same concept, except using a full metal outer shell completely interferes with this. Unless, of course you can logically explain why Apple chose glass a transfer point for wireless charging.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Yea it's nice for at night so I don't have to find the cord and I don't need it to charge fast then. I do wish it could be more efficient in general though.

Exactly! Wireless charging is so slow and inefficient. Quite a bit of energy is lost as heat.
[doublepost=1566268284][/doublepost]
Not implausible - look at the ‘new’ design of the iPads, that echos back to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5/SE designs. The surrounding frame could well be fashioned of Titanium, sandwiched between two slabs of glass - this will still providing wireless charging (which I agree is overrated), while providing a stronger frame akin to the original steel frame of the iPhone 4 (that was also sandwiched between two glass slabs, as you might recall).

It also bears noting that the person currently in charge of product is Jeff Williams, who really likes and drove the iPhone 4 design, and whose influence can be seen in the current iPads.

Furthermore, there appears to be some sort of ‘culling’ going on, to eliminate the visual influence of departing Execs (remember that iOS 7 happened because Scott Forstall was fired, so I suspect the same thing to happen now that Jony Ive got fired).

My assumption was based on removing the fragile glass backing and replacing the entire shell with titanium. If it’s just titanium for the frame, then yeah, wireless charging stays the same since the coils are right behind the glass and is not impaired by the outer frame. Just hate how fragile and heavy the phone is with glass.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.