Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi..Anyone having issues with calls failing on the iPhone 12? This is specific to a iPhone 12 on Verizon. Haven't and don't have this issue with my X at all.

Behavior is dial number and get message "Call Failed"

APPLEgamer407

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2020
I’d recommend restarting . If that doesn’t work, I’d shut down the phone, take out the sim, wait, reinsert the sim, and boot back up. Worst case, back up your phone, erase it, and then restore from the backup. Let me know if this helps!

I had this same problem on an iPhone se 2020 on sprint where restarting helped.

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks! Tried all that. I'll be heading into Verizon to see if they can make sense of it.

RebelRooski

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Similar problem here. 12 Mini w/Verizon periodically loses connection to Verizon and says "Waiting for Activation. This may take some time." Happens throughout the day. (so you will get Call Failed unless you reboot).

AppleForTheTeacher

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Murfreesboro, TN
So I have had this issue since I got my phone on release day almost 4 weeks ago. Had the store “fix” it 3 different times, including replacing the sim. Spent hours with customer service and tech support over the first 3 weeks trying to get it solved and did all of the trouble shooting. Nothing fixed it. Verizon opened a ticket Saturday for their highest level tech support, and an agent called last night and analyzed the phone records and real time data. He determined that it is a defect with the device. Apparently phones “ping” each other during a phone call every 2 and a half minutes to make sure the other is still there. He said my phone was not responding to the pings of other phones, and after two failed pings it automatically fails. So they are sending a replacement tomorrow. Makes me wonder how many defective 12 pros Apple shipped.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I have this issue now with my iPhone 12 Peo Max. Odd thing is I am connected via wifi and am trying to make a FaceTime call via Wi-Fi and it keeps saying call failed. I am on T-Mobile but if you are using Wi-Fi to make a FaceTime call there should be no reason why it should fail when Wi-Fi is working and everything else is working as well

3A2A293E-2EC1-423C-8A1B-C3A9A60D2CCE.jpeg

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Let’s revisit this. Multiple iPhone 12 models, pro, pro Max and mini. All on TMobile. All get call failed multiple times a day, calls connect but no sound, call fail in middle of calls, hotspot pop up after calls, iMessage doesn’t go through.
I have setup as new, reset network settings, got new sim, downloaded new iOS version from finder, hardware test shows no errors but every 12 we have all 7 have issues. Others on other networks have same issues.
Will changing phones help? Two run dual sim and can’t even get 5G. Last week Apple tech said they are aware and update will fix it but 14.3 did nothing. I would imagine phone call issues and text would be super priority.
ANY help is appreciated.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I still have the call failed issue once in a while and need to reboot. Once rebooted then ok again until problem comes back again

mfehr

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
I have the same annoying issue. However, I am not with T-Mobile. I believe it has to do with my AirPods. I often have the Call failed after the AirPods (2nd Gen) were connected with my iPhone 12 Pro and then handed over the my Mac mini or my iPad Air. The next call attempt from the phone results into a "Call failed". A reboot of the iPhone solves the issue. As the reboot always takes 1-2 minutes, blocking me of doing the call I intended to do, I am still interested to identify the root cause to fix it permanently.

This issue only started with the iPhone 12 Pro. The previous iPhone X never had any of those issues and it was used together with the same AirPods.

Resetting Network settings was not successful
I also have reset my AirPods to factory settings and re-introduced them to the iPhone 12 Pro.

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
Anyone still having this issue? I'm losing my mind. VodafoneUK network. Bought the iPhone directly from apple, 12 Pro Max, tried everything imaginable, eSIM, different SIMs, restoring whole iPhone to iOS14 then iOS15, the issue persists...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.