Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
This evening, I was watching a video on my phone, and it bugged out in a way I’ve never seen before.

The phone suddenly froze and displayed some pink artifacts on the screen and made a short static-like noise. The phone remained this way for about 15 seconds. After that, it restarted itself.

This has only happened once (this evening). Apple iMessage support chat of course was no help. The diagnostic said the display is fine (it’s not the display but whoever is on the other end is really good at sticking to their script).

I’ve attached a photo. It’s not my own; found on Google. But it looked almost exactly like this. Anyone else ever see this before?

I sincerely hope I don’t have to deal with Apple Support again. They are a freaking nightmare.

Attachments

• 60CE224E-9D83-4E36-B631-2AFDE357F287.jpeg
    60CE224E-9D83-4E36-B631-2AFDE357F287.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 324

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
This is my first time seeing this. At first glance, it looks like a screen problem. Did you recently dropped your phone or something?

If not, have you tried to factory reset your iPhone? Factory reset should rule out if this is an OS issue, otherwise, your screen might be damaged.

Edit: Try doing a restart first. Lol. I forgot.

Reactions: Bluetoot-

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
This is my first time seeing this. At first glance, it looks like a screen problem. Did you recently dropped your phone or something?

If not, have you tried to factory reset your iPhone? Factory reset should rule out if this is an OS issue, otherwise, your screen might be damaged.

Edit: Try doing a restart first. Lol. I forgot.
The display was replaced about a month or two ago for the green tint issue.

However, I’m hesitant to say it’s the display. I’m not sure why the phone would freeze and emit a sound.

Wow, it looks like someone took a pink marker to it. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to make a Genius Bar appointment?

Apple Store is very close but I have a bad reputation there, it seems. I got the same advisor for two different issues and both times he gave me the run-around. Pretty sure they think I’m a grifter or something. (“AirPods exhibiting the whooshing sound in ANC? There’s no way I could possibly test that except by flicking through my iPad!” “Display has green tint in the dark? Well, not according to this iPad!”)

Last edited:

EddieKeyton1

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2021
That happens in computers sometimes too. Usually coming from a hardware failure or glitch such as the graphics card. Stop by an apple store sometime. I bet they tell you everything’s alright though. It probably won’t be able to be replicated. Or an issue found unless it happens again. In front of an apple person. It could have been just a freak glitch or an underlying hardware issue. Is my guess.

It could very well be a pinched screen cable as well. It honestly could be a few different things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.