Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There is more room in the 5ghz spectrum than there is on 2.4ghz. If you are in an area with dense wireless coverage you'll have less interference.
Not only that, but 5GHz has less range than 2.4GHz and doesn't penetrate walls as well. When you're in a situation where you're running a personal hotspot for your laptop that's in the same room or even on the same desk, a 5GHz signal will let you connect not only faster, but without causing as much interference for other WiFi that may be in use nearby.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
I don’t understand the benefit of this. Surely the 2.5GHz Wi-fi is faster than any mobile network, so what do you get from a faster Wi-fi?
You mean 2.4GHz... and no you'll be lucky to get 100mbps on 2.4GHz. This is a big deal. I have got over 300Mbps over 4G LTE. 5G will push that a lot higher.
I don't believe this is a hardware issue anyway since we've had 5GHz since the iPhone 5, it's just Apple touting a feature they decided to enable on the 12 models sadly

Reactions: NetMage

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Biggest upgrade? The whole experience is pretty much unchanged (which is why they are probably artificially limiting some features to the new phones when the older ones are perfectly capable) - the only big year over year upgrade it's the iPhone 7/8 to iPhone X, that one actually changed the usual experience.

Other than that, I fail to see how could this be a biggest upgrade (15% performance increase, camera improvements, and Augment Reality stuff are the same things they advertise every year). 5G is a big upgrade......if you are in one of the market that supports it.

Subjective of course but - Name a bigger upgrade, outside of 3GS to 4 that went from 256mb to 512mb, introduction of power house A series chips with A4, Retina display, sandwich glass, and what I think I recall as a substantial camera upgrade. Cus When I think about I’m seriously drawing a blank.

I think probably if had to choose- the camera.

sidenote -LiDar isn’t a have to have, but pretty insane to compute a 3D render of my apartment with all that fast light beaming and a14 juice. It has potential. A13 is already top of the line SoC, so 15% on top of something that is leagues above competition is impressive. 5nm too.

My friend who has the 11 keeps saying the random photos I send her are blowing away her camera. So far compared to my se2 I would agree by a long shot and se2 is comparable to 11 in good lighting. If you value video shoots too, its other worldly.

The form factor and screen though I came from xr and oled wise X and I won the panel lottery too.

5g when available is pretty fast. The writing is on the wall it will make a big difference eventually, and considering I don't think I'm upgrading for 2 years minimum now, I will be glad I have it now for later. Qualcomm radio return as well, even for people with LTE only .

6gb of ram. Only ever had 3. I dont care if iOS is RAM efficient compared to android, I still want RAM I would consider myself a power user. 6gb feels generous in apple land. 50% more than the pro's last year to be exact.

I love the pacific blue and boxy feel. It feels really premium to me and I think it’s the nicest looking configuration apple has ever released.

The sum of parts is a beast.

All next year could offer is Touch ID embedded (I think apple will go for TouchID in the display, or nothing at all - not gonna use the iPad power button method but could be wrong, so it might not be next year and might be moot if by next fall we're over masks, and may already be too late roadmap wise to hammer that down, smaller notch but let's face it we're still getting a notch and to me it feels smaller since top bezel is smaller than my XR combined with notch vertical height weight and 120hz. I actually don’t think any of those are worth waiting a whole nother year on. 120hz could have more battery life concerns as well, even offset by the more efficient X60 QC that's set to replace X55. I have had 120hz on my 12.9 iPad Pro (variable 120hz) since 2017 and its still awesome to have but I haven't felt like iPhones suck not having it for the past 3 years. Scrolling and refresh rate seems smoother than my LED SE2, there isn't smearing. And no guarantee of getting all of them either and could come as a port less iPhone. I’m not ready to go all in on MagSafe.

I don't feel like this release is milked at all honestly.

I love this headline too 'iPhone 12 feels like a 1000 dollar phone' even though I have the pro. The pro feels like a $1000 phone to me. Especially since a 128gb is $850 and 128gb pro is $999, the gap is narrowed enough it doesn't feel all that insane anymore to make the leap. I wouldn't get a mini just to save $250, unless you want the mini form specifically. Also 64gb for mini and non pro is lame in 2020, but 128gb base FINALLY is to be commended on the pro's. That's perfect for me.

Aesthetic wise - I was also fond of matte black 7+ , slate 5, blue xr, and the silver X. Black and white 4. This tops all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanilla35

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Nice! I just wish all of Apple’s lineup supported 802.11ax to really make the most of it.

The Apple Watch is only 802.11n for some bizarre reason.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Yep, the hotspot is not a replacement for your home internet. If you want to burn through movies and music, especially on the road, the hotspot feature is not for you.
The problem is that they have been selling it as a replacement for home internet for 20 years.

• Disagree

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
I don't understand why people think that if their internet is faster, they will use more data? Movies and media consume the same amount of data whether it's LTE or 5G. There are only so many hours in a month. You can't be mass-downloading stuff to your phone. Email, web, etc., still the same amount of data, just faster. Like if the city put bigger water pipes in the street outside your house, are you going to use more water just because the pipes are bigger?

Please explain how faster internet is going to make you use more?
Unless ofc the streaming apps detect that you have a thicker pipe and switch from 780p to 1080p or from 1080p to 2160p in this case your data will burn faster, and yes I know about low data mode, and so does a lot of mr users, but a lot of others don’t

Last edited:

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
The problem is that they have been selling it as a replacement for home internet for 20 years.
Of course the cariers dothatm thsy want you tomuse their expensive hotspot at home in stead of your home internet connection,(not their network so not their revenue stream), never fully trust wat a salesperson tells you

christian_koehler

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2015
Maybe a dumb question but which mode uses more battery? I’m going to assume 5Ghz.
I don't know about iphone, but I have a Xiaomi phone that supports 5 GHz Wifi hotspot.

I don't notice a difference in battery life in real world use - and I do use it a lot as it is my only Internet access (unlimited and 10x faster than the outdated DSL service available at my home in Berlin).

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
5GmmWave: it’s like Wifi but only works outside down the street!
nope. if you want to point out similarities with wifi, then the next obvious candidate is wigig at 60ghz which by default uses a very similar MAC layer. tbh, 5ghz wifi works over far longer distances outdoors compared to 26GHz 5GNR mmWave

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I don't understand why people think that if their internet is faster, they will use more data? Movies and media consume the same amount of data whether it's LTE or 5G. There are only so many hours in a month. You can't be mass-downloading stuff to your phone. Email, web, etc., still the same amount of data, just faster. Like if the city put bigger water pipes in the street outside your house, are you going to use more water just because the pipes are bigger?

My bandwidth is still my rate limiting step of mobile data consumption. I am not using some app because they are to slow, and I am often having to queue documents I want to look at because they need to download. If they donwloaded faster it would be done sooner but rather I would get more done. I have plenty of work I already offload to wifi which is already to slow.
Of course the cariers dothatm thsy want you tomuse their expensive hotspot at home in stead of your home internet connection,(not their network so not their revenue stream), never fully trust wat a salesperson tells you
Exactly. But these salespeople are being instructed by executives. So if they are going to speak like they are a home ISP than they need to be regulated like one.

Last edited:
Reactions: xpxp2002

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Here's the Downside to this, if you're a Verizon customer, as I am.

Even with their Top Tier UN-limited option, customers are limited to ONLY 30 GB per month of Hotspot Data, before it gets throttled-down to ONLY 600 Kbps !

That's pretty brutal. I can quite easily use more than 1 TB of data per month on 5G, with multiple devices connected via my Huawei 5G router using 5 Ghz WiFi.

In my opinion, carriers should not be allowed to advertise plans as "unlimited" when they do in fact have limits and throttling.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I get the feeling we are headed for internet connections that limit your data downloads to a certain limit

And the Limitless internet connection will cost you. No longer FREE

This is what 5G means to me

We are in the biggest recession of our lifetimes. which means unlimited data downloading a thing of the past or break out your wallet and pay the piper.

Hammerd

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2019
Tim Apple

The hotspot feature will provide a home-like internet access, therefore you will be able to use more, to push it further/to use it in a different way, not just as a breakdown service (when you’ll watch a video on youtube that will be in 1440p/2160p, ...)

Reactions: coredev

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
This is but one reason why I'm surprised by how "up" everyone is about 5G, and so long wifi, etc. 5G is controlled by telcos (so far), and they wants their $$ bad, so who the hell wants 5G? I'll take an unlimited wifi connection any day over a byte-counter 5G connection controlled by you-know-who. (This is for the US, ofc. I have no idea how the EU providers handle this stuff.)
EU is pretty much the same, 5G only available from big telcos with contracts, and we are far away from unlimited plans.

This is even true for some cable/dsl home connections, where the line is throttled after a certain amount of GB per month.

Dolmio

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
This phone rocks

it may legit be the biggest year over year upgrade in my eyes.

except maybe 3GS to 4.
My personal view was the original iPhone to iPhone 3G was the biggest upgrade as you had 3G and the freedom to surf the net on the go without wifi and also GPS allowing navigation

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I doubt there's any technical reason they couldn't do this on the earlier iPhones. I can easily get over 120Mbps on 4G, which is more than can be achieved on 2.4GHz wifi.

Reactions: jezbd1997
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.