Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reacher

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, i was waiting long time to upgrade. My old 1st gen SE need to be replaced. I was trying, earlier this year, an iPhone 11, but it was too bulky and big for me.

I am waiting till the release of new ones and want to buy it first day, but... The 11 pro is fine for me in case of size, but too expensive. After rumors with battery capacity I think that 11 pro could be better in this case.
We do not know nothing, but what you guys thing between this two phones?

Major774

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2020
Based on phone size, the iPhone 12 mini is your winner.

I am going to the iPhone 12 mini from a iPhone 11 as I want a smaller phone for better one hand usage.

Reactions: supertiffany

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
+1 to the above comment.

I went from the 11 to the 11P because of its size. It was better but not good enough; after a couple of days the 11P got heavy and thick to use and put on pockets, like the 11 was.

Now I´m on the SE 2020 and the difference is noticeable, in size, weight, and thickness.

You can get the 11Pro at Apple and use the 14 days window to test it yourself, but hurry hehe

Reactions: supertiffany

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'm really interested to see what the specs of the new "Mini" are. If you don't lose much due to the size, then I'll be getting it as I've begrudgingly been buying bigger iPhones due to lack of choice.

What do we think you will lose, just the ultra-wide lens... and some battery life obviously?

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Same situation for me, but I will wait and decide next week. It’s a win-win if I wait. I will try the 12 mini from AS, and if not satisfied I will grab the 11 pro. By then its price will start to go down.

Regarding the battery life, I wouldn’t mind for the first time slapping a battery case on the mini because it will be small regardless. Hopefully they make one!

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Same situation for me, but I will wait and decide next week. It’s a win-win if I wait. I will try the 12 mini from AS, and if not satisfied I will grab the 11 pro. By then its price will start to go down.

Regarding the battery life, I wouldn’t mind for the first time slapping a battery case on the mini because it will be small regardless. Hopefully they make one!

You won’t be able to get the 11 Pro from the Apple store once the 12 line up is announced. There’s no way they are keeping that around.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
You won’t be able to get the 11 Pro from the Apple store once the 12 line up is announced. There’s no way they are keeping that around.
I’ll get it from other stores.

I am positive that I will like the mini. The only doubt is the battery life.

Reactions: oVerboost

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I think battery life is going to be like the SE 2020, I don't expect so much more...

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I think battery life is going to be like the SE 2020, I don't expect so much more...

Capacity will be larger, dark mode and OLED will also work together to save battery life as well as a more efficient chip. Remember the A13 processor was never initially designed to work with a battery the size of the SE2 so optimisation was never going to be that great. I expect it to to be better, not Pro levels but it will have to be better or the media and buyers will rip Apple to bits and return the devices. The SE2 gets away with it due to the price.

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
battery life will be better than the SE2 for sure

mainly because of the following:

1. A14 (30% more battery efficient, and it's focused on power-saving than performance as seen on benchmarks)
2. OLED especially on dark mode will definitely stretch the battery
3. iOS 14 for this phone out of the box will be much more optimized
4. bigger battery

question is will the battery life of the iPhone 12 mini be as good as the 11?

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
battery life will be better than the SE2 for sure

mainly because of the following:

1. A14 (30% more battery efficient, and it's focused on power-saving than performance as seen on benchmarks)
2. OLED especially on dark mode will definitely stretch the battery
3. iOS 14 for this phone out of the box will be much more optimized
4. bigger battery

question is will the battery life of the iPhone 12 mini be as good as the 11?

I don't agree on point 3. iOS 14 is both optimised for iPhone 11 Pro and 12 mini. In the short term, maybe even more on 11 Pro since all third-party apps are optimised for this screen size which is already 3 years old.

And you forget a signifiant spec which has negative impact on battery : resolution.
OLED consummes less than LCD but for a same given resolution.
In practice, LCD panels on iPhone consummes less than the new OLED ones just because there is a resolution gap which has a negative impact bigger than battery gain from OLED consumption.

Example :
iPhone 11 vs 11 Pro
3 110 mAh vs 3 046 mAh (2% bigger on 11)
Screen : 6.1 vs 5.8 (5% bigger on 11)
LCD vs OLED
But battery life is slightly better on regular 11 while it having LCD and bigger screen size/battery ratio.

In short, resolution has negative impact too and since we dont know how power efficient is A14, only time could say if 12 mini will have a meh, good or strong battery life.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hi, i was waiting long time to upgrade. My old 1st gen SE need to be replaced. I was trying, earlier this year, an iPhone 11, but it was too bulky and big for me.

I am waiting till the release of new ones and want to buy it first day, but... The 11 pro is fine for me in case of size, but too expensive. After rumors with battery capacity I think that 11 pro could be better in this case.
We do not know nothing, but what you guys thing between this two phones?

I think anybody who spends time with rumours of potential components in not released products to make statements about that not released device’s performance is wasting my time.

reacher

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Thank all of you for sharing your point of view. I know that till announcement we know nothing, but this different touches to the problem makes the decision a little bit easier. We have to wait!

Reactions: Azzurro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.