Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
What improvements from the 12 to the 13 are going to allow you to be “more creative”?
Fair question and I'm happy to answer.

The 13 and 13 Mini have bigger light sensor for better low light photography, sensor shift optical image stabilization from the Max 12, the ultrawide lens promises more detail in the darker areas of images and twice the storage capacity… Ok, are all nice but the big one for me:

Cinematic mode
https://www.engadget.com/iphone-13-cinematic-mode-rack-focus-181710157.html

Yes!, Yes! Yes!

The 13 Pro adds faster lenses, additional enhancements to night, portrait and low light photography and an improved telephoto lens.

I do everything one-handed. For that reason, I will never, ever own a Max again. I've an 11 Pro now and, though it's manageable, I'd like it to be smaller — but only if it does everything I want. My decision will be made on the smaller size of the 13 Mini vs the telephoto lens on the 13 Pro. Stores will have them soon enough and I can decide by then.

The $300 price difference is not a factor for me. If it were, the 13 would be in the running which it's not — if I go that size, it will be to the Pro. Once I became handicapped a dozen years ago, cost went off the table as a determining factor. If I figure out I need something to make my life more enjoyable, I'll find a way to afford it. Photography is something I can still do while there are so many other activities that are now off the table. If all I needed was a phone, I'd have an SE.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
It's not the iOS 15 beta. My launch day 12 mini is down to 89%, and I never installed iOS 15. I've read others with the 12/12 Pro/12 Pro Max also showing more battery degradation than previous years' models over the same time period.

Personally, I think one of the battery OEMs shipped some defective batteries for all of the 12 models that degraded faster than normal. Since Apple often uses multiple vendors for parts, it's very possible that not everyone got one of these batteries that is degrading rapidly.

The only reason I suspect the IOS15 beta cycle was that at various times and especially during all the bi-weekly then weekly updates my phone would get warm and I know heat degrades these batteries more than anything. But yeah, it probably shouldn't have degraded that much. Hopefully won't run into the same thing with the 13 mini.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I really don’t understand why they aren’t going to a touch ID power button on the mini.

One would think that would help get the cost down also
Had you been following the news over the last 3 years, you'd know that Apple has had a lot of trouble with integrating Touch ID under the touch screen. They know we want it.

It's now integrated into a button on the side of the new iPad Mini. From the Mini blurb:

Touch ID is integrated into the top button for fast, easy, and secure authentication. Use your fingerprint to unlock your iPad or quickly and securely make a payment.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Had you been following the news over the last 3 years, you'd know that Apple has had a lot of trouble with integrating Touch ID under the touch screen. They know we want it.

It's now integrated into a button on the side of the new iPad Mini but the iPhone isn't thick enough for that. From the Mini blurb:

Touch ID is integrated into the top button for fast, easy, and secure authentication. Use your fingerprint to unlock your iPad or quickly and securely make a payment.

Umm…

The iPad Mini is THINNER than the iPhone 13 mini chief.

0.25” vs 0.30”

“Had you bothered to read the product specs, you’d know that”
;):D

tenor.gif

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
No there are technical differences in the sensors. Just compare the 13 Pro / Max to the normal 13 in their comparing sheets. Those cameras are all better than those on the 13, when it comes to specs at least.
The Pros I believe have the same sensor but agreed a better camera system overall. I actually hedged myself by pre-ordering both with little expectation that there will enough of a difference between the two. But lets see.

Reactions: mikehalloran

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Umm…

The iPad Mini is THINNER than the iPhone 13 mini chief.

0.25” vs 0.30”

“Had you bothered to read the product specs, you’d know that”
;):D

tenor.gif
I may even understand the tiny 12 Mini. They already did some terrific engineering to fit so much stuff in such a tiny body. But not even the Pro line? Why is everyone so keen on display Touch ID. I hate it on Samsung phones. Why not make it way easier and put it in the power button.

Reactions: larzy

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The going theory is simple, 'Smaller batteries degrade faster'
That theory is bogus. Size has nothing to do with it. Type of usage (including how one charges) against the ongoing chemical reaction of the battery (as each battery chemical reaction does not happen at exactly the same way as another battery, while some come with slightly more than 100% to begin with.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't need to upgrade my 12 mini but, seeing as this is probably the last year of the mini, I am going to get the 13 mini. My 12 mini has been a great phone. I still have 100% battery health from a release day phone.
In the same spot. Its clearly not worth an upgrade from the 12 mini, but since this is looking like apple’s last reasonable sized phone, I may do it anyway.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In the same spot. Its clearly not worth an upgrade from the 12 mini, but since this is looking like apple’s last reasonable sized phone, I may do it anyway.
I will also be waiting for the 13 mini to go on a quick fire sale like the SE did on Apple's website a while back. :D I will snag several if that happens.

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I don't need to upgrade my 12 mini but, seeing as this is probably the last year of the mini, I am going to get the 13 mini. My 12 mini has been a great phone. I still have 100% battery health from a release day phone.
How can you managed that? I’m on 92% and I have it only 9 months. ?

Reactions: PaladinGuy

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I will also be waiting for the 13 mini to go on a quick fire sale like the SE did on Apple's website a while back. :D I will snag several if that happens.
Yes same, here in the UK the 12 mini has been on sale on Amazon UK for £599 for the last few months (£100 off RRP), so will wait for the 13 mini deals like this and then snag one probably in the Midnight colour. For me the larger battery and 128 GB base storage are the best upgrades overall. The camera upgrade and higher brightness are bonuses.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
But the Pro line has a new camera system with better specs and sensors, not the normal 13 line unfortunately according to tech specs.

I really hoped Apple would make the 13 Mini more feature proof. More RAM, better sensors[…]
Agreed. I’d really like a macro mode (and of course optical zoom) on the Mini… Alas, that’s not happening… I am actually tempted to go with the 13 Pro… Didn’t think I would be, but the much improved camera and battery life might actually sway me, despite the significantly larger size and weight… ?‍♂️

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Why do so many people think this is the last year if the iPone Mini? Apple has never hinted that this might be true. According to thread after thread, the 12 was supposed to be the last version and that so-called ”news” was flying hot and heavy within three months of its release.

Wait… Do people really believe all the unsubstantiated nonsense posted on a board called MacRumors?

Let’s see what happens next year.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I bought my 12mini on Dec 15th and today its battery capacity is down to 85%. I ordered a ProductRed 13 mini, hoping for better battery luck.
I assume that you have Optimize Battery Charging checked in Settings/Battery/Battery Health, yes?

There are 3rd party charging cables that cut off at 100%. I’ve been using such cables for years and believe that my iPhone and iPad batteries have lasted years longer because of them. McDodo is well known but they aren’t the only game in town. Amazon and others carry them.
McDodo

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Why do so many people think this is the last year if the iPone Mini? Apple has never hinted that this might be true. According to thread after thread, the 12 was supposed to be the last version and that so-called ”news” was flying hot and heavy within three months of its release.

Wait… Do people really believe all the unsubstantiated nonsense posted on a board called MacRumors?

Let’s see what happens next year.

Yes, it’s a rumour board, and many here do enjoy the speculation.
Of course no one but Apple knows, but this analyst Kuo has been pretty accurate. Hence the sentiment that the mini’s demise is probable.

v386

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2019
I bought my 12mini on Dec 15th and today its battery capacity is down to 85%. I ordered a ProductRed 13 mini, hoping for better battery luck.
My 12 mini battery capacity is down to 86%, started service Nov. 13 last year. Optimized Battery Charging has been turned on the whole time. Charging with very few exceptions has been with the Apple magsafe puck. So I'd say that's a pretty similar result. Initially I could get the whole day with 5hrs SOT on a half charge, now I go down to 20% after 3hrs SOT. Of course there have been software updates in the interim so that doesn't necessarily say anything about the battery. Since there's still 14 months left of AppleCare+ there may be some chance the battery health will dip below 80% indicated, in that time.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
There are 3rd party charging cables that cut off at 100%. I’ve been using such cables for years and believe that my iPhone and iPad batteries have lasted years longer because of them.
I just have a simple battery life app on my phone and on my Apple Watch. It’ll notify me on my watch when my phone has reached a certain battery level (low and high), as well as notify me on my phone when my Watch has reached a certain battery percentage. It’s not perfect, but it works quite well…

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.