Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MZBS

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2020
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, looks giant ! I think the guy of the second video must have huge hands.

I think comparing this phone with an iPad Mini is exactly how you can feel using it.

Not for me. For a portable device I need something smaller. Very happy with size of the Pro this first 2 days of use.

I will wait to see how the improvements of the camera are worth it or not but 95% I will keep the Pro instead the Max.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
That is awesome!!! I was really leaning to the gold but now I think I want the graphite. I’ve never had a space gray or dark colored iPhone before, but and in a well lit area that graphite really looks nice. I’ve always had silver or gold, but I’m about 70/30 leaning towards the graphite. It looks pretty slick. I’ll be ordering mine tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianSoCal

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I liked the videos, but generally got annoyed at the perception that it’s too big. It’s less than 3mm taller and less than 1mm wider than all other plus/max models dating back to the 6 Plus. So no one should be surprised by its size. And people seem to magically forget that 2 other sized variations of the iPhone 12 family exist. Some of the hands on videos made it seem like this was the first time Apple created a device of this physical size, when by now everyone know what a plus/max device feels like.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It's thinner than the 11 PM and barely taller while the same width. I don't understand this mindset that it's too big now LOL.

People are loosing their damn mind about the iPad Air 4 having a "HUGE" bezel compared to the iPad Pro on here. What do you really expect? ;)

Reactions: kazmac

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I liked the videos, but generally got annoyed at the perception that it’s too big. It’s less than 3mm taller and less than 1mm wider than all other plus/max models dating back to the 6 Plus. So no one should be surprised by its size. And people seem to magically forget that 2 other sized variations of the iPhone 12 family exist. Some of the hands on videos made it seem like this was the first time Apple created a device of this physical size, when by now everyone know what a plus/max device feels like.
Actually, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is 2.4 mm taller and the same width (78.1mm) as the iPhone 8+. (My current phone.)

Once I saw that comparison, I knew that I'd be just fine with the size.

Reactions: Sammio2 and kazmac

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
This looks massive. Other half is going to love it.

Me, not sure.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
Actually, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is 2.4 mm taller and the same width (78.1mm) as the iPhone 8+. (My current phone.)

Once I saw that comparison, I knew that I'd be just fine with the size.

right also not too sure about the impact of the very flat 12 PM sides. It gives better grip but it might not allow the hand to slide up or slide down easily over the screen.

MZBS

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2020
Madrid, Spain
If you are used to a Max size this would be fine for all.

If the previous Max was a bit big for you, then don't buy it.

I was thinking to move from the iPhone X to the Pro Max this year because of the camera but adding this phone with a Wallet type Case makes it enormous. I think you can get used to it if you don't use a case or is very thin.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
If you are used to a Max size this would be fine for all.

If the previous Max was a bit big for you, then don't buy it.

I was thinking to move from the iPhone X to the Pro Max this year because of the camera but adding this phone with a Wallet type Case makes it enormous. I think you can get used to it if you don't use a case or is very thin.
I actually went to the trouble of making a cardboard mockup of the 12PM (don’t judge!) and my findings are that the flat sides will make a phone of this size and weight pretty uncomfortable to hold for a lot of people. Everyone’s mileage will vary, of course.

And the people pointing out that it’s just a couple of mm taller than the 11PM have a point, but that argument (it’s just 2mm, you’ll get used to it) could literally be trotted out year after year until you find yourself toting around a pizza box. Just saying: you gotta draw the line somewhere.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
They are over exaggerating on the size. Its just a little taller than my iPhone 8 Plus base on the compared dimensions. If you’re coming from a iPhone 5s/SE form factor, I get it.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
They are over exaggerating on the size. Its just a little taller than my iPhone 8 Plus base on the compared dimensions. If you’re coming from a iPhone 5s/SE form factor, I get it.
A lot of people coming from X- or 11-shaped phones who bought the 12 Pro sight unseen have commented on how much bigger the new phones feel due to those flat sides. People who like big phones will be fine with this, but I expect the size difference to feel more significant than those extra few millimetres would suggest.

Reactions: Jim McN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.