Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Debating between 12 Pro Max or 11 Pro Max.

With current AT&T promotion, $400 for 12 Pro Max. $200 for 11 Pro Max.

Not interested in 5G but will probably want it at some point.

Want to keep the phone for a minimum of two years. Maybe even three.

Don’t care about larger storage of 12 Pro Max. I don’t store any media on my iPhones.

Leaning towards 12 Pro Max because (I think) I’d prefer flat edges for grip and the option to use 5G at a later date. Thoughts?

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This was my thinking also earlier. Wait until 12 Pro Max comes out, then upgrade my XS Max to last years 11 Pro Max at a slightly cheaper price. (Verizon offered me a deal for the 11 Pro Max, but $200 off 1100 price even now onn a 64gb model - deal expires next Friday. Total rip off so, I'll pass!.)

Then also thought..if I wanted to do this, I should have pulled the trigger LAST Sept when the trade in value of XS Max was $600.

The 12 pro Max, simply put better cameras than 11 - for me I take a lot of pics, night mode...and cant wait to try night mode time lapse also. The "cheapest model" 128GB, MORE than enough for me (I hear ya, I always went with 64GB, I'll take photos, videos...then download them to my Mac and remove them to the phone. No MP3s on the phone also. Now I wont worry too much about space, apps taking up space as well.

5G...I call it "Future proofing" That speed is not totally widespread - no matter that these Verizon, ATT, etc commercials say. They will be eventually. But LTE speeds in the 12's are much faster now, that alone is a big + for me. We'll see how that goes, I'd like to see some real work testing on that.

I do expect to keep this one for more than 2 years. (Eh, I always say that...LOL) But I did hold the 12 Pro today at Best Buy, I just love the way it feels, the grip is simply awesome! The design is so much better again - like the 4, 5, I missed that. I love my XS Max, but the rounded sides, a great day camera, but blah night camera...time to upgrade.

Reactions: Olivia23

NavySilver

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
New York, NY
Go for the 12 Pro Max. Given your conditions, maybe you'd feel a bit painful for spending that much money now, but if you bought the 11 Pro Max instead, you will spend many days to come thinking you have an outdated phone in your palms.

Not to mention the upgrade is substantial enough to justify it. Not just 5G, but also consider better reception from using Qualcomm antenna, better camera, 2 extra gigs of RAM (which goes a long way)... just buy a 12 Pro Max and call it a day.

Reactions: blairh and KO7

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
seems like apple has gone 5 years backwards when it comes to battery life in the 12s, if you can save some decent coin, might be better off going with the 11 pro models, don’t believe this power efficient a14 bs.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
seems like apple has gone 5 years backwards when it comes to battery life in the 12s, if you can save some decent coin, might be better off going with the 11 pro models, don’t believe this power efficient a14 bs.

That is a real bummer, I agree.

BUT.. there is also the concern that the new iOS 14 will diminish the battery in last years amazing 11 PM battery. It's hit or miss...Ive seen posts here this new 14 hit the 11's when it comes to battery drain, some haven't see an issue. ugh

• Sad
Reactions: LFC2020

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Decisions, decisions... go for the 12PM! I’m looking forward to going back to the flat edges. Are we there yet (11/6)? ?

I wish! About 12 days
12 DAYS, 08 HOURS, 34 MINUTES (Eastern Time) as I type...but who's counting? LOL.
* I think this includes the 1 hour we turn back this time next week, who knows it's late and Im tired.
....eh, 4:55pm sunset next Sun., that's just wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: beach bum

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Don’t care about larger storage of 12 Pro Max. I don’t store any media on my iPhones.

Leaning towards 12 Pro Max because (I think) I’d prefer flat edges for grip and the option to use 5G at a later date. Thoughts?

Save your money and get the 11pro max buy the time you upgrade 5G will be much more mature by then

Reactions: George Dawes

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If I had an 11 Pro/Max I really can’t see why anybody would feel the need to upgrade? I think you’ve got to really want 5G as that is the only major difference from what I can see. My 8+ isn’t vastly difference performance wise to my iPhone 12 so there has decibels not been huge jumps in that department over the past 3 years.

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park

if you plan to keep it, get the newer one now - 12 and 11PM have the same storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.