Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 12 Pro models are set to contribute significantly to a 50% year-on-year growth of smartphone shipments worldwide in the first quarter of this year, according analyses conducted by Digitimes Research.

iphone-12-pro.jpg

The pace of iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max shipments is expected to align with a ramp up in shipments from Chinese brands eager to fill a vacuum in the global market left by Huawei, culminating in a projected 340 million unit shipments globally in Q1 2021.
Apple's iPhone shipments are expected to total over 60 million units in first-quarter 2021, having seen such shipments reach over 90 million units a quarter earlier, Digitimes Research estimates. Apple is likely to be the top vendor for a six-month period that ends March 31, 2021, with total shipments of over 150 million units, up 38% from the same period of a year earlier.

Samsung Electronics will rank second and see its shipments decline slightly in the six months, or roughly 60-65 million units each for fourth-quarter 2020 and first-quarter 2021. Xiaomi will be in third place with its shipments totaling 90 million units in the six months, representing an increase of over 80% from a year earlier. Huawei will ship less than 20 million smartphones to be in sixth place in the first quarter of 2021.
JP Morgan analyst Samik Chatterjee recently claimed that iPhone 12 series quarterly shipments continue to enjoy a year-on-year 13% increase, despite a dip in demand, while Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives said that the firm had "increased confidence" that Apple's 5G-driven product cycle would extend well into 2022.

Those projections appear to be generally reflected by Digitimes' analyses, which predict global shipments of 5G-enabled phones to reach over 600 million units in 2021 compared to 280 million units shipped a year earlier.

Huawei, Apple and Samsung were the top-three 5G phone vendors in 2020, accounting for over 70% of global 5G phone shipments, according to the Taiwanese industry publication.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Pro Models Expected to Drive 50% YoY Growth in Quarterly Global Smartphone Shipments

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So many of my friends and extended family who had Android before have switched to iPhones recently which is definitely driving growth in iPhone sales for Apple
Actually, I see it both ways. I know quite a few android users who refuse to go to the iPhone, simply because they enjoy the customization and overall experience more, and in all fairness, they make great phones for the most part. I think what happens with the iPhone, is Apple drives the ecosystem with sub-products, so it starts with the iPhone to build off products like the Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod, all of which are tethered to the iPhone as a central hub. So the experience starts with the iPhone and branches off there, which I think is Apples strongest point with the iPhone.

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've had a few friends who were devout "Apple Haters" switch to iPhones recently.

And these are not people who simply preferred Samsung or Android in general. These are people who would go out of their way to actively criticize Apple... or would call Apple users "sheep"... or who think Apple is some kind of cult.

So if those people are switching to iPhones... that's definitely helping Apple's sales.

Comment

MJaP

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
One of the downsides to Apple is that unless you jump into the ecosystem with both feet Apple products don't tend to "play nice" with 3rd party services as readily as Android does, which for me was a real sticking point which prevented me from making the switch for many years. They have definitely improved over time, but Apple are still very much focused on pulling you completely into their services and ecosystem.

Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Few people I know who use Samsung phones have switched as well, think they’re finally seeing past the gimmicks and big specs.
Trying to convert my husband lol He has had his samsung galaxy note 8 for almost 4 years. He doesn't upgrade every year like me. He said he wants to get a new phone in September so I've still got time to work on him lol

Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
One of the downsides to Apple is that unless you jump into the ecosystem with both feet Apple products don't tend to "play nice" with 3rd party services as readily as Android does, which for me was a real sticking point which prevented me from making the switch for many years. They have definitely improved over time, but Apple are still very much focused on pulling you completely into their services and ecosystem.
I suppose it's a double edged sword. For some the beauty of Apple is the ecosystem. I prefer to have all my devices be the same and work together. It can become cumbersome to have all these different devices, having different apps etc to work them. For example I have all Apple products, but for a while I had a HomePod and then various echo and google home speakers. All with different apps and ways of interacting with them. I've just replaced them all with HomePod minis and now thinks are more straight forward and seamless. However I understand that some people prefer to mix and match to get the best device specs in every category.

Comment

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
a quiet place in NY.
It’s funny how people have been saying for years that Apple needs to release a cheaper iphone, yet consumers continue to vote with their wallets by opting for Apple’s more pricey iPhones over their cheaper ones.

I think we need to also take into account the Pandemic for the iPhone 12 cycle up to this point. While there are millions who have suffered tremendous loss during this period financially there are also 10’s of millions who have extra funds due to a lack of travel or other forms of budgetary disbursements normally scheduled.

I personally know individuals who have upgraded to the 12 Pro over the 12 simply because “ they had the funds put away to do it.”

I‘ll be interested to see 13 sales if things begin to progress to a point where people are out taking vacations, and spending on all the items they have cut back on the past 14 months.

Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Actually, I see it both ways. I know quite a few android users who refuse to go to the iPhone, simply because they enjoy the customization and overall experience more, and in all fairness, they make great phones for the most part. I think what happens with the iPhone, is Apple drives the ecosystem with sub-products, so it starts with the iPhone to build off products like the Apple Watch, AirPods, HomePod, all of which are tethered to the iPhone as a central hub. So the experience starts with the iPhone and branches off there, which I think is Apples strongest point with the iPhone.
I think you are right. The iPhone is the anchor that holds them all together. It's interesting because for me the iPhone is the device that I could look at competitors if it existed in a vacuum. Not saying I still wouldn't pick the iPhone but I could take a serious look at some of the android handsets. Devices like the Mac, iPad and Apple TV are the best in their class for me and I wouldn't consider competing devices. However for me if I don't use an iPhone then i don't see much point in having a Mac or an Apple TV. Even the iPad to some point wouldn't be as appealing without an iPhone. So for me the iPhone despite being the device that has more competition is the glue that holds it all together.

Comment

Captain Trips

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Columbus, OH, USA
I wonder how many chose iPhone over an Android because they can have Watch? 🤔
For me it ended up being the other way around, but just barely. When I bought my first iPhone, an XR, in November 2020 I had no desire to get a smart watch of any brand.

But I run a lot and I started thinking about an Apple Watch - was there enough features and functionality to make it worth the price to me? Turns out there was enough, so I bought my first smart watch of any type, an Apple Watch 6, last month. Loving the AW6 so far.

Reactions: matrix07
Comment

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
I've had a few friends who were devout "Apple Haters" switch to iPhones recently.

And these are not people who simply preferred Samsung or Android in general. These are people who would go out of their way to actively criticize Apple... or would call Apple users "sheep"... or who think Apple is some kind of cult.

So if those people are switching to iPhones... that's definitely helping Apple's sales.
Now they are part of the teal cult.
Switching from superior devices to less innovative

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage
Comment

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2020
From what I’ve read concerning security I really don’t know how anyone can use anything other than apple products. Your whole world is on an iPhone do you really want to have anything but Apple protecting it?

Reactions: Kengineer
Comment

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
The iPhone 12 Pro Max, specially in that beautiful Gold is quite honestly my favourite iPhone of all time.

I sincerely hope to keep it for as long as possible, that's a definite winner by Apple. :)

Reactions: Captain Trips
Comment

Hyperchaotic

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2005

Well, you gotta know how to play the game. I choose a lot of services that work well on all platforms: Dropbox+Cryptomator, Google Mail/calendar/contacts, Signal, Skype, Bitwarden, any 3rd party notes app (I use Joplin but Markup is not for everybody). I avoid sign-in with Apple to stay flexible. I have changed back and forth between iOS and Android several times and it takes 20 min to transfer everything and set it up.

I'll probably stick with Apple moving forward because I use iPad a lot and enjoy I can take calls on it but never say never, so I am sticking with my flexible services.

Reactions: Captain Trips
Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
For many is a deal breaker the Apple Watch is what helped me return to the iPhone
I'd expect a LOT would be like this from only a recent sale number of Watch. It couldn't be that high by Apple faithfuls alone. A few distant family members of mine who never cared what brand of phones they're using buying iPhone now for their parents specifically to have them have Watch.
And to an lesser extent, AirPods as well. I know quite a few who converted to iPhone just by wanting to have AirPods.

Comment

tongxinshe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
In the last two years, I know more people switching from iPhone to Android than the opposite direction. It seems the “more than 85% market share” magic turning point is finally taking effect, Apple needs to take very very serious actions to avoid iPhone’s eventual diminish (hint: like what Mac did in the late 80’s-90’s).

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'd expect a LOT would be like this from only a recent sale number of Watch. It couldn't be that high by Apple faithfuls alone. A few distant family members of mine who never cared what brand of phones they're using buying iPhone now for their parents specifically to have them have Watch.
And to an lesser extent, AirPods as well. I know quite a few who converted to iPhone just by wanting to have AirPods.
yeah I mean I didn't realise how great its was and was needed until I was without one for a good month or 2.

Reactions: matrix07
Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In the last two years, I know more people switching from iPhone to Android than the opposite direction. It seems the “more than 85% market share” magic turning point is finally taking effect, Apple needs to take very very serious actions to avoid iPhone’s eventual diminish (hint: like what Mac did in the late 80’s-90’s).
lol judging by the sales numbers to end 2020 and how many iPhones apple sold they are likely to stay dominant in this area. the massive market share is down to the low end models and the sheer amount of different android phones at super low prices is why it sells more total as apple sells like 4 models compared to thousands of different android low end to mid range phones. You will rarely see the flagship android phones in these high sales figures.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.