Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramblapacifica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
seattle
my iPhone 12 pro videos have beautiful color and detail but when i post them to instagram as soon as i click "next" they oversaturate and stay that way when posted. the original video on my phone is not affected. have tried this several times with different lighting and always the same. photos seem to not be affected. anyone else see this? i reported to apple and they had no idea. i posted a report to instagram but no response yet from them.

anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance

e46m3gtr

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
This exact issue was mentioned in MKBHDs' 12 (non-pro) review. I think the problem is with the server-side support on the social media platforms for whatever the new formats/codecs included in the new iPhones. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your device, what you can do is to wait till the platforms rollout new updates to include support for native dolbyvision hdr videos. Alternatively you can record videos in sdr without dolbyvision to temporary avoid over-saturation problem for now until the apps get updated. Make sure you manually check the app store for any available updates and install them if there's any.

Here's the video. Skip straight to 14min 22sec mark if you're just interested in the dv hdr compatibility stuff.

*EDIT* Related thread: Uploading HDR Videos to Facebook/Instagram Washes the Picture Out

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.