Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Wireless charging starts and immediately stops on my 12 Pro, complete restore does not fix it.

Will check this on Thursday when my 12 Pro arrives. Wife has a 12 and it charges just fine on two different cheap pucks purchased at WM, that I use for my 8+. They were like $10 each. Both are at least 3 years old. Anxiously awaiting Thursday.

Erik0811

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
I get the same issue in my 2019 Landrover discovery sport, wireless charging worked fine in the car with my previous iPhone but not the iPhone 12 ☹️
I have a 2020 Land Rover discovery sport and thought my vehicle was defective all of a sudden! I’m kind of relieved that it’s not the vehicle!

peteli

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Update: Haven't had an issue with the replacement phone wirelessly charging with the anker chargers all day. Seems to work fine.

Mikecherves

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
UPDATE: I ordered a new wireless charger and this one works with my 12 pro. The other two that don’t work are made out of metal and starts charging the phone and then immediately stops. The one that works is plastic.

Mikecherves

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
I have two identical wireless chargers. Both of them charge my old 8+ and my friends 8 with no problems. I’m getting a third one from a different company tomorrow to test. When I put my 12 pro on it charges for 2 seconds and then stops. Restarting the phone does not fix it. I get the full 15w charging with MagSafe, no issues there. I spoke to Apple and they said because MagSafe works they don’t think the phone is defective. I really hope this can be fixed with a software update.
UPDATE: I ordered a new wireless charger and this one works with my 12 pro. The other two that don’t work are made out of metal and starts charging the phone and then immediately stops. The one that works is plastic.

peteli

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
I think there might be two separated but related issues here. The one I was having was that the phone stopped wirelessly charging completely after an indeterminate time, (could be minutes could be hours) and it didn't matter what type of wireless charger I tried it was like there was nothing there. The issue other people seem to be reporting is that the phone charges ok with some wireless chargers but not others.

MD0600

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
I have am too and have a call with them at 4... we’ll see how this goes.
Keep us posted on what they recommend. If it helps I have the iPhone 12 Pro and am using the Mophie 3-in-1 Wireless Stand

martdy

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2018
UK
Same issue here Ravpower and an Anker plastic chargers . Starts for a second green light on the charger and lightning bolt on the phone then stops with a red flashing light on the charge pad. With or without apple case. I am running iOS 14.2 beta though .
I did have a problem with my 11 pro not wireless charging at all . That was running a beta at the time and the next update cured that.
Following this thread with interest
update: after a reset the Anker now works but the ravpower won't - wifes 11 works on both

Last edited:

camilasaunder89

Suspended
Aug 12, 2020
I think you should visit Apple service Centre and report this issue to them. Sometimes, Due to some internal device errors charging issues often happens.

Jerome55b

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015

Semiopaque

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
Similar issue here, but it only happens after I take my phone out of the silicon MagSafe case and put it back on, at least so far. Doesn’t happen every time, but when it does, it won’t wireless charge on any charger I have both with and without the case on. Restart has fixed it every time.

meg8674

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Posted this in another thread on the same issue but figured id post here as well....

Both my husband and I bought iPhone 12 pros 256gb his was graphite mine silver. We had the same issue everyone is describing where iPhones would not charge on any wireless chargers we had in the house including our 300.00 nomad pads and apples new mag safe chargers. the only way we were able to get them to charge is if we restarted our phones it was ridiculous. we called apple over the phone and they sent us to the store to swap out the phones since they were within the return period. when we brought them to the apple store I showed them video of what they were doing and they gladly swapped the phones out and also replaced the screen protectors I had put on the phones originally. They said that you should not have to restart the phones for wireless charging to work consistently and that they would be sending both my husbands phone and my phone to engineering since they were from the same Batch and think there is a known issue since others had also came in to swap on previous days. Since we had the phones replaced I have had no issues charging on Any of my wireless chargers and regardless of what case I have on the phones. hope this helps go to apple and have your phones swapped out.

petman97

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
Same problem here.
I have an iPhone 12 pro and a 2020 BMW X7. Having issues with the wireless charger working intermittently. However today I was driving and the phone was charging. I was using Waze. After about 30 minutes the phone shut down due to overheating. I did notice that the phone did charge from 61% to 63% in the 30 minute period.
I called Apple support. The woman was useless. She had me run a diagnostic report. Wants me to bring the phone in for service. I don’t think the magsafe charging system is going to be compatible to older chargers.
Can’t imagine it’s a software issue.
very disappointing.

MD0600

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Hopefully it’s software and fixed in an update soon. Would hate to have to swap it out or live with not being able to wirelessly charge

halojunkie

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Have we thought about the magnets in the phone interfering with certain chargers? My mophie no longer works 7.5W and new airpods pro do the exact same thing. Possible deviation from the QI standard?

MD0600

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
I have a 10w Mophie Charging pad that seems to charge fine but my newest Sophie 3-in-1 charging stand is the one having issues. I Also have a wireless car charging dock that seems to work fine so maybe it's limited to the Mophie dock

peteli

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
agree with meg8674 since i swapped out the phone it's been 2 days without any issues wirelessly charging on my anker chargers. Most likely a bad batch of phones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.