Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Other Iphone 12 relevant upgrades?

TroubleMan20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
I’m currently using a 2016 SE but am thinking of upgrading next month. I’m torn between the 11 at a discount or the 12 Max.

From what we know now, I can safely say I do not care for the 5G (not widely available in my country), flat edge design, form factor (I want 6.1 inch) or even the battery life (since it will be similar due to the A14 gains being offset by smaller battery).

This leaves the only relevant upgrades to be increased graphic performance (cpu/gpu), new qualcomm modem, better camera and oled screen.

My question is, would these upgrades alone justify the 12 Max over the 11? Or would their improvement be negligible to the average user?

Last edited:

bobmans

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2020
The iPhone 11 is a huge upgrade from the 2016 SE that will be supported for atleast another 4-5 years!

Personally I would wait until the iPhone keynote before making up your mind, the cpu/gpu of the iPhone 12 won't be noticeable to the average user and the camera upgrades will most likely not be that much either.
For the screen we'll have to wait until the reviews come in to see how good of an OLED screen the 12 Max will have. The iPhone 11 has one of the best, most color-accurate LCD screens available and we do not know what kind of quality OLED they will put in the iPhone 12 yet.

The only reason the upgrade might be justified in my opinion would be the OLED screen quality. If they have an OLED screen that's on par with the current Pro Model's screen then it would justify the 12 Max over the 11 depending on the price difference.

Reactions: Never mind
Comment

maerz001

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Imho its more of a size issue than features for u. From 4“ to 6.8“ i recommend trying it out in the store before u buy

Comment

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019
if you're coming from a 2016 SE

not only the size but also the weight will be an issue

will just get the iPhone 12 than the 11 (I used a Pro Max then the 11 still heavy in the hand with longterm usage, wanting to buy the 11 pro because that's the smallest and most compact but since 12 is coming out will just wait for that)

-compact size
-light weight
-oled screen
-an all new architecture for the chip which is the 5nm

Comment

TroubleMan20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
The iPhone 11 is a huge upgrade from the 2016 SE that will be supported for atleast another 4-5 years!

Personally I would wait until the iPhone keynote before making up your mind, the cpu/gpu of the iPhone 12 won't be noticeable to the average user and the camera upgrades will most likely not be that much either.
For the screen we'll have to wait until the reviews come in to see how good of an OLED screen the 12 Max will have. The iPhone 11 has one of the best, most color-accurate LCD screens available and we do not know what kind of quality OLED they will put in the iPhone 12 yet.

The only reason the upgrade might be justified in my opinion would be the OLED screen quality. If they have an OLED screen that's on par with the current Pro Model's screen then it would justify the 12 Max over the 11 depending on the price difference.

Is the 11 pro OLED really that much clearer than 11 LCD?

Comment

TroubleMan20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Imho its more of a size issue than features for u. From 4“ to 6.8“ i recommend trying it out in the store before u buy

Not the 12 Pro Max. Just the regular 12 Max (6.1). My dad has the iphone 11 and I’m jealous of the size. I really cant use a small phone anymore

Comment

TroubleMan20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
if you're coming from a 2016 SE

not only the size but also the weight will be an issue

will just get the iPhone 12 than the 11 (I used a Pro Max then the 11 still heavy in the hand with longterm usage, wanting to buy the 11 pro because that's the smallest and most compact but since 12 is coming out will just wait for that)

-compact size
-light weight
-oled screen
-an all new architecture for the chip which is the 5nm

I’m curious about the new 5nm SOC. Does it really make the phone much faster for day to day usage? (Social media, browsing internet and games)?

Comment

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I'm a bit interested in the smallest iPhone 12, but I'm not shure the battery performance will be good enough. It has been absolutely horrible on the 6S-platform (iP 6S plus & iP SE gen 1).

iPhone 11 with the battery case will probably be a better choice for me, not too keen on going from 4" to a brick sized 6,1" though... (the SE gen 1 goes from 100% to 50% in two hours though so I guess anything will be better than that. It's on its second battery too!)

Comment

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
I'm in a similar situation, and honestly, with all the leaks about the iPhone 12 sounds awfully disappointing.
With that said, I'm still waiting for it to get released before making the jump. In either situation, I'd just wait it out until the 12 is released.

That way the 11s will probably begin to flood the market making the deal sweeter or if Apple Unveils something unexpected, maybe that may sway your decision.

I'm pretty content with getting a cheaper 11 pro since there isn't anything worth upgrading (for me) to the 12.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.