Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hello,

my iPhone 12 mini has an issue that makes the yellow screen issue decidedly worse.

After a while, True Tone will no longer adapt to ambient light and instead be stuck on a very warm setting. I wonder if this affects other people and may partially explain the perception of the screen being extremely yellow (which it is regardless).

A reboot will temporarily fix this issue and True Tone will work as intended for some time. Turning TT off and on does not help. You can test this by switching between a warm and a cold lit surrounding like a natural light source. If it works, the display will very noticeably adapt the color temperature of the screen to the surrounding conditons. If not, there will be no change and at least for me, it always seems to be stuck on max. warmth.

Can anyone replicate this?

Last edited:

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
I have since replaced my device and the new one worked fine for three days but now exhibits the same behavior. So this seems like a software bug but I wonder why it's hardly being talked about.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg / Germany
Hardly being talked about? Look at the last 20 or 30 pages of that thread ?

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hardly being talked about? Look at the last 20 or 30 pages of that thread ?

Haven't seen that much on this specific issue. I would encourage everyone who feels that their phone is always fairly warm with True Tone enabled to

1. Restart the device
2. Move from a warm, artificial light source to a cold one (like your window, preferably on an overcast day)

and see if True Tone now more aggressively adapts. It may be helpful to do the second step once before restarting to be able to compare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.