Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I been using an IPhone 13 Mini and am trying to use it as a hotspot and tether to my laptop. Now when I do this, first thing I noticed was the name of the wifi network is IPhone 13 Mini? In the old iphone SE, I always remember it being called Ronnie's IPhone as that is my name. You can change this right? Now the issue here is when I see the default password that is on my IPhone 13 Mini, it uses the character - multiple times. Thus it uses the subtraction sign multiple times in my password. So imagine your default password is joimlkx-sfasfsafsfsd-sfdasd, do you need to enter the character - ? The thing is I tried both with or without and I cannot connect to my network.

With my old iphone SE, I remember I used whatever was the default wifi password given and just entered it once in my laptop and it is saved. But can you change the password? Is it as simple as changing the wi-fi password under personal hotspot on the iphone and that is it? Is there a reason why I cannot connect to my iphone hotspot on my windows laptop?

Also, after you do it, I saw a message on my windows laptop that said

Do you want to all your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network?

We recommend allowing this on your home and work networks, but not public ones.

I use my laptop only in my apartment with my home wifi. And sometimes with my iphone hotspot tethering. I do not use public wifi. So would I choose yes or no for this? Is it safer to just choose no?

ronniejoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Can anyone answer this question?

Can I just change the password and then that would be the password I enter on my laptop to tether as a hotspot?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The name of your iPhone is located in: Settings > General > About.
You can change it to whatever you want.
The name you give it will be the name you’ll see on other devices when looking for the hotspot.

I don’t know how windows OS interact with iPhone hot spots, but on Apple products they just auto connect every time you choose the hotspot after you’ve entered the password the first time.

The hotspot password on your iPhone can be seen in:
Settings> Personal Hotspot

You can change the password to whatever you want.

Maybe reset the hotspot password to something super simple for a test (like 1234) then try to connect to it from your pc.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.